PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

tombarbee64
01-14-2011, 05:57 AM
just wanted to stop in and say hi. new to the sport (bought my first bow less than a year ago) and will probably drive everyone nuts with dumb questions. really quick history, bought a 75 browning woodsman for $25 in may 2010, shot it all summer and fall. just bought an 07/08 martin jaguar fully set up off of e-bay for $175, and now am just waiting on decent weather (something above freezing) so i can start shooting it. here's some pictures of the jaguar along with a couple of a target box i made over the summer. i hope everyone has lots of patience for a new guy.

Rangerj
01-14-2011, 06:52 AM
I like that target.Lets have some bulid details please.

alex
01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the forum!

tombarbee64
01-14-2011, 07:12 AM
it was an easy build. simply a 3' wide 3' tall, 2 foot deep box with a hinged lid to replace the foam and arrow stopping material. i made it with scraps laying around the garage and my only expense was for the wheels. i put it on casters so i can wheel it around and store it when i'm not shooting, but i'm going to change it to lawnmower type wheels so it will roll on the ground easier. the cut out in the front is 1' 11'' by 1' 11'' so that a 2' square piece of foam will not fall out the front. i used 2 pieces of celotex foam backed by an old blanket and a bag of garage sale leftover clothes (buttons and zippers removed). the bags of clothes will probably be replaced with some old sleeping bags i found in the basement that even the dog won't lay on. i've added an album of pictures to my profile so you can look at the inside and a couple of angles. feel free to use the idea and if you've got any improvements, let me know. i made it because i don't have a lot of room to shoot and can't leave a target out all the time. this way i can wheel it into the garage when i'm done and it fits in the corner.

Rangerj
01-14-2011, 07:27 AM
it was an easy build. simply a 3' wide 3' tall, 2 foot deep box with a hinged lid to replace the foam and arrow stopping material. i made it with scraps laying around the garage and my only expense was for the wheels. i put it on casters so i can wheel it around and store it when i'm not shooting, but i'm going to change it to lawnmower type wheels so it will roll on the ground easier. the cut out in the front is 1' 11'' by 1' 11'' so that a 2' square piece of foam will not fall out the front. i used 2 pieces of celotex foam backed by an old blanket and a bag of garage sale leftover clothes (buttons and zippers removed). the bags of clothes will probably be replaced with some old sleeping bags i found in the basement that even the dog won't lay on. i've added an album of pictures to my profile so you can look at the inside and a couple of angles. feel free to use the idea and if you've got any improvements, let me know. i made it because i don't have a lot of room to shoot and can't leave a target out all the time. this way i can wheel it into the garage when i'm done and it fits in the corner.

Thanks Tom,that's good info.James

bfisher
01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum, Tom. And congratulations on your new bow. Hope you enjoy it for as long as you have it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard. My son and daughter have the same bow only with a Dyna cams. I am sure you will enjoy your bow when the weather gets nicer.

Hutch

Simple Life
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Welcome Tom,your string looks like it needs some attention(little waxing),but beside that nice bow,enjoy the forum.

SL

ElkSlayer
01-14-2011, 01:38 PM
welcome...ask away and we will fead you a line....... take it for what is worth ....free:D great place nice folks willing to help anytime enjoy the sport and support:cool:

Arrow Splitter
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Tom. That's a nice bow you have. I shoot a 2007 Jaguar that has a Dyna cam (see signature), but the M-Pro cam is also a good cam, especially with a drawstop.:cool:

SonnyThomas
01-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Welcome, Tom. Nice hunting rig and target. The only dumb question I know of is the one that you don't ask. Lots of helpful people in here, so ask away.

Suggestion; Your pics, reduce them to around 410 X 310.

elkslayer4x5
01-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Welcome, Tom. Nice hunting rig and target. The only dumb question I know of is the one that you don't ask. Lots of helpful people in here, so ask away.

Suggestion; Your pics, reduce them to around 410 X 310.

Yes, +1, Please resize. Welcome to the board.

bfisher
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
And if you don't know how to resize pics we'll walk you through it.

ElkSlayer
01-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Paint is your fiend...lol so easy even we can do it:D

tombarbee64
01-16-2011, 05:41 AM
figured out the resize thing. well, actually asked the daughter, got the eye rolling and lecture about how simple it is and she taught me. gotta love teenagers. i do have a serious question on arrow selection, since there's not really a good shop nearby, how do you know what's a good arrow for your bow? i've been reading articles and some say a stiff spine is good and some say it is bad. right now i've got some old aluminums that came with my woodsman and i know that they aren't the correct ones for optimum capability. i'd like to go carbon, but how do you know which one as far as weight and spine? i did find a thing called the archery program that let me input the bow and it gave me the following:

Length 29
Diameter .300
Weight 355 grains
AMO Spine .340 inches
Ideal Spine .4321

now what? some just say 2115 or something like that. help!!!

ElkSlayer
01-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Have you checked out this one at easton http://www.eastonarchery.com/
look at the charts and you will see how one arrow fits a range. Put your info into the shaft selctor, you can change tip weight etc and see what it spits out. I like to go with the mid to high side of the arrows range.. good luck . an just so you feal at home :rolleyes::D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 06:12 AM
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/spine_weight
http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemcart/archery-calculators.aspx

Try these and see how you do. You need to know draw weight and draw length

Hutch

Simple Life
01-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I use Goldtip which are a decent arrow,here is there chart.

http://www.goldtip.com/build-arrow/images/arrow-chart.jpg

bfisher
01-16-2011, 09:46 AM
When picking the proper spine you only need to be close. Those who say to err on the stiff side are correct, but not really. If you intend to hunt you'll be using broadheads, obviously. Thes tend to steer the front of the arrow so the straighter you can get the arrow to come out of the bow the better. Underspined arrows bend to much and as such cannot recover quickly enough to counter the steering effect of the blades whereas an arrow that is slightly stiff will do much better.

However, this is where tuning comes into play. If the arrow you choose is just slightly underspined you have such options as heavier fletching or lighter points which stiffen the dynamic spine of the shaft. You can also just turn the weight of the bow down a few pounds and get them to work. Don't get caught up in the idea that you must shoot the bow at a certain weight. This is one of the reason there are limb bolts on a bow.

On the other hand, if your shafts are a bit on the stiff side you might be able to lighten up on the spine by using heavier points or lighter fletching OR turn the weight up on the bow.

The idea is to pick a shaft that is close to the recommended spine and then tune the bow/arrow combination to shoot it. If you have all your ducks in a row and everything tunes well then what you end up with is a shaft that is dynamically perfect.