PDA

View Full Version : Cable replacement for 2010 Bengal

Stéphane
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi, I have a quick question here for Bengal owners. I'm going to replace my string with an aftermarket one and keep the orange one as a spare. My pro shop is telling me that the cable should also be replaced because of stretching (my string did stretch a bit). Anyone who replaced their string, have you replaced your cable as well?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Ehunter
01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I always replace string and cables together. If one has stretched, you can count on the others doing the same. Last set I bought was from H&M, and they came as a package deal for $45 including shipping. For that price, it's well worth replacing both. He makes some pretty good strings too.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Always replace both is what most will tell you on here. It is safer and smarter to replace both. With both replaced it will stay in specs. Especially if it is a custom string and cable. As Ehunter said they both will creep and stretch. H&M and a few others have good deals. I would buy a set from them and install them yourself. We can all walk you through it. It is not that hard to do. And it will be another thing under your belt in the world of learning.

HUTCH

archerx7
01-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I always replace string and cables together. If one has stretched, you can count on the others doing the same. Last set I bought was from H&M, and they came as a package deal for $45 including shipping. For that price, it's well worth replacing both. He makes some pretty good strings too.

Always replace both is what most will tell you on here. It is safer and smarter to replace both. With both replaced it will stay in specs. Especially if it is a custom string and cable. As Ehunter said they both will creep and stretch. H&M and a few others have good deals. I would buy a set from them and install them yourself. We can all walk you through it. It is not that hard to do. And it will be another thing under your belt in the world of learning.

HUTCH

X3 Always best to replace them both at the same time.

Stéphane
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Again, the Martin forum members came through! Thanks, guys.

Hutch, I thought about doing it myself, but my pro shop guy is such a nice guy. His price are decent, and he's the one that organizes the 3D shoots in my town. Sometimes, I like doing this by myself and learn. Other time, I want to encourage the people that support our community. This will be one of these.

Now, in my booklet, it say that I have to back off the bolts before putting the bow in the press. I'm sure he doesn't do that. Should I insist, or is there no real consequences in doing so?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I have done it both ways. Consider it the same as pulling back your string at 70lbs, it draws the limbs inward. The bow press just pushes it inward at what ever lbs. Yes I do agree that loosening the limb bolts helps. But like I have said a lot of shops do it both ways. So you can suggest it. Also ask him if you can watch him do the work and you can learn while having it done.

HUTCH

ElkSlayer
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
it takes some of the stress off the limbs. An nothing wrong with having your local guy hook you up on the new rigin....that's what keeps him the local guy:cool: By all means ask if you may watch over his sholder. Dont be afraid to bend his ear while your there. he may let lose of a few tips;)

Stéphane
01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
I have done it both ways. Consider it the same as pulling back your string at 70lbs, it draws the limbs inward. The bow press just pushes it inward at what ever lbs. Yes I do agree that loosening the limb bolts helps. But like I have said a lot of shops do it both ways. So you can suggest it. Also ask him if you can watch him do the work and you can learn while having it done.

HUTCH

it takes some of the stress off the limbs. An nothing wrong with having your local guy hook you up on the new rigin....that's what keeps him the local guy:cool: By all means ask if you may watch over his sholder. Dont be afraid to bend his ear while your there. he may let lose of a few tips;)

Yep, I'll try to watch him do it. That is of course if he can do it while I'm there.

The guy sold me my Bengal. I asked him to let me know when they would go on sale to let me know. He barely knew at the time. I got an email - $60 off. I can't tell you how many times he worked on my bow for free and the avalanche of questions he has to answer every time he sees me.

On top of that, the guy is a legend around here. He's organizing the 3D shoot this weekend.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Yep, I'll try to watch him do it. That is of course if he can do it while I'm there.

The guy sold me my Bengal. I asked him to let me know when they would go on sale to let me know. He barely knew at the time. I got an email - $60 off. I can't tell you how many times he worked on my bow for free and the avalanche of questions he has to answer every time he sees me.

On top of that, the guy is a legend around here. He's organizing the 3D shoot this weekend.

Can't ask for more than that! Sounds like a guy earning a living not just making money. I have a Martin dealer thats rated 5 star he is the same way. It is nice to have a place like that.

Hutch

ElkSlayer
01-16-2011, 05:28 AM

now is a good time to offer him your help, that is if you have the free time. its alot of work settin up a shoot. evey extra hand helps setin out targets and taking them down. good way to meet more local shooters too..
Have fun and let us know how you do.

bfisher
01-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Good advice by these guys. Especially the one about volunteering to help with the shoot. Many people never help because they may not have the time or are just lazy. They may have no idea of the work involved in setting out targets and tearing them down after the shoot. Then there's always need of kitchen help. So many small things. Getting involved gets you on his good side and those of others. You'd be amazed at how many good firends you make.

Hopefully, if you have a club like mine there will be as many as 15 people setting targets and almost as many tearing down. This way it goes quick and nobody has to do a ton of work.

So many times you'll hear people complain about one aspect or another concerning a course. These are generally people who show up at a lot of shoots, have their fun and leave. They never get involved in the work and can't appreciate the efforts of others, but they'll always have something negative to say.

Stéphane
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Good advice by these guys. Especially the one about volunteering to help with the shoot. . . .

Hopefully, if you have a club like mine there will be as many as 15 people setting targets and almost as many tearing down. This way it goes quick and nobody has to do a ton of work.

So many times you'll hear people complain about one aspect or another concerning a course. These are generally people who show up at a lot of shoots, have their fun and leave. They never get involved in the work and can't appreciate the efforts of others, but they'll always have something negative to say.

We were even more than that on Friday to set it up. I had to leave before it was completed but most of the job was done. I'd say it took about 2.5h to set the whole thing up.

Make no mistake, I will always lay a hand whenever I can. This is a great community and I'm a proud member.

MLN1963
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM

HUTCH

Hutch

Didn't you make another post that you don't have to press the limbs to change the string and cables, just loosen the bolts evenly?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Yes but it is much quicker for shops to press and repair. That way they don't mess with the customers draw weight.

Hutch

MLN1963
01-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks Hutch, that makes perfect sense.

Because of your post about being able to do that without a press moved Martin up a notch on my list of bows I'm interested in. I'm a gear/moto head and maintain/modify our race bikes. I can't afford to take them in for every little thing. Bows look pretty simple by comparison and I think I could handle it. It's all the little things I would need to learn that will take time. I might jump into the deep end and buy a bare bow and start the learning process. Trial by fire so to speak.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Martins have been a solid bow company. They back their bows and make them simple. This forum helps you understand why they are good. We stick together and help one another.

HUTCH

elkslayer4x5
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I might jump into the deep end and buy a bare bow and start the learning process. Trial by fire so to speak.

Thats pretty much how the rest of us got into achery, we bought a bow, some arrows and started learning, you already have enough intrest to be reading and posting on this board, Go ahead, get you some ! :D

MLN1963
01-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Elk

If I buy a bare bow, or any bow for that matter, you better not bail out on me when I throw a barrage of newbie questions at y'all. :D

I go to AT and another forums but this one is laid back and doesn't play I have a secret or my bow is better than your bow.

elkslayer4x5
01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Elk

If I buy a bare bow, or any bow for that matter, you better not bail out on me when I throw a barrage of newbie questions at y'all. :D

I go to AT and another forums but this one is laid back and doesn't play I have a secret or my bow is better than your bow.

Have no fear, always eager to help in any way I can, I doubt that you could ask a question that the guys on this board wouldn't have an answer for. Go on, go get your feet wet, you know that you want a bow. :D

ElkSlayer
01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
No worries, We will always have something to say. sometimes its even helpful:D So what peaks your intrest...target, 3D , hunting, or all the above..

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
ElkSlayer

My main purpose is to spend time with my son. That said in order of importance: hunting, hunting hunting! :D

I would like to do a little target (just slinging arrows, not competition) and possibly 3D as well. My son has done some 3D shoots and it sounds likes fun. Keep in mind I will be a one bow guy. Too many hobbies and not enough money!

ElkSlayer
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
here you there my friend...Now just set that bow up hunting style. to stay in a hunting class, for 3d shoots keep stab under 12" and a fixed 5pin sight. Personaly i set my bow to hunt then went to some 3D shoots and had a blast. spending time with your son is top of your list so do just that. have a blast and any time you need it we are here to help..there is no need to keep up with the jones or smiths or whom ever... buy what you can when you can...just have fun;) If you are not a member On ArcheryTalk.com Sign up an check out the classifieds..some good deals can be found there . along with more help. thou you need to weed though some of the BS. thats where most of the jones/smith bunch lives;)

elkslayer4x5
01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
here you there my friend...Now just set that bow up hunting style. to stay in a hunting class, for 3d shoots keep stab under 12" and a fixed 5pin sight. Personaly i set my bow to hunt then went to some 3D shoots and had a blast. spending time with your son is top of your list so do just that. have a blast and any time you need it we are here to help..there is no need to keep up with the jones or smiths or whom ever... buy what you can when you can...just have fun;) If you are not a member On ArcheryTalk.com Sign up an check out the classifieds..some good deals can be found there . along with more help. thou you need to weed though some of the BS. thats where most of the jones/smith bunch lives;)Son, you crack me up! And to think how long it me to get you over here on this board !

ElkSlayer
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
[/COLOR]Son, you crack me up! And to think how long it me to get you over here on this board !

Ok so i lurked for a while, then there was the register hold up. ;) Now i will add take lots of pictures of what ever bow your going to replace a string or cable on. just in case, that way you have ref point. it also helps to measure nock pt, peep befor starting.. good luck to all that do this on your own for the first time:cool: