PDA

View Full Version : One eye open or Both?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 02:08 PM
How do you shoot one eye open;) or both:eek:?

Hutch

sway
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
used to shoot one but went to both open just seems easier since im a contact wearer..

Simple Life
01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Both:eek:

SL

justin
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
i shoot one eye only!!! if i open my dominate eye it can sometimes take over, and mess things up....

Ehunter
01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
One eye only. Sometimes, my shooting looks like no eyes open though. lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
One eye only. Sometimes, my shooting looks like no eyes open though. lol

I know what you mean!

Hutch

CarlosII
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
both eyes with pins...one eye with scope.

bfisher
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I shoot with both open although I'm left eye dominant shooting right handed.

SonnyThomas
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I am something of what bfisher replied. I am left handed, left eye dominent and shoot right handed. Still, once I get my eyes and brain working together I can shoot with my left sort of squinting. I initially sight with my right eye and let the left eye squint some.

Okay, I am just weird. I shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns left hand and my eyes are wide open. I was a close the off eye guy until I spoke with a firearms shooting coach. His instruction was pretty simple; "God gave you two eyes, use them." Sure enough my Trap Shooting went to the top at the clubs I shot at. It was no different with shooting pistols or rifles with iron sights, both eyes wide open.

For bow shooter of the same eye/hand I'd give the same advice.

Another coaching thing; Don't think about this. As fast as you can, point your finger at something. If you do it and do it fast without thinking I've got $5 says you had both eyes open.

ElkSlayer
01-16-2011, 06:38 PM
I am supposed to open my eyes:confused: knew I was doing it wrong...

Good question thou..I open or close what ever it takes to get the shot off.

Recurve.its eyey wide open staring down the target

The compound is the same until i get that peep and scope aligned.. Tell you the truth someone would have ta watch cause it realy depends.. i find my self doing both, heck some times i may even open an close the left more then once..

shot guns well once again eyes wide open but a scoped rifle its back to doing it both ways ...

Money Man
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I shoot with one because I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, but I may have to try with both eyes after reading all these responses.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-17-2011, 01:19 AM
I shoot with one because I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, but I may have to try with both eyes after reading all these responses.

I am right eye dominant shooting left handed with both eyes open. It has made me more accurate. Sight in with one eye open the other when ready. Takes a little practice but works well.

HUTCH

Rangerj
01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Both eyes open now,I changed this past year.The first shot I fired with both eyes open I missed my entire yard.Never did find the arrow!!!!!!

Spiker
01-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Both open.

bfisher
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know if I want to associate with these guys on here. Sounds like we have a bunch of wierdos. Me included. Oh hell, just come on in and be one of the guys.

polaris754
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
i close one yep yep :rolleyes:

ElkSlayer
01-17-2011, 02:20 PM
yea im not to sure about you guys shooting backwards ;) :D How ever that works for you all, keep it up thats what makes us all so much fun to be around. sure would liked to see the shot that left the yard...lol

I had some sort U hook target panic happing in the late 90ies when i first went to using a release. would do some sort of tweak out & pull the bow in a U movement and let it fly.. last time that happned it was a 50yarder arrow pased the target at bulls eye height, skiped of the ground some yards behind it then went skyward...last seen clearing the tops of 30' trees:eek: Just picked up a truball BT Ulta on AT..so i expect the "fun" to start all over again. soon as it shows up.

Rangerj
01-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Elk,I would like to know where my arrow went also.I didn't hear any kids scream or dogs howl so I think I am safe. Just hope my neighbor don't bring it home.lol

SonnyThomas
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Well, speaking from experience, some of us guys would have been better off not shooting in the house. Across the living room, over the kitchen table, down the hallway and to the back bedroom wall.... I think it was the lighting in the living room...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Well, speaking from experience, some of us guys would have been better off not shooting in the house. Across the living room, over the kitchen table, down the hallway and to the back bedroom wall.... I think it was the lighting in the living room...

We said both eyes open :eek: not closed :D

Hutch

Arrow Splitter
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM

You've just explained why we have a wall of targets as a backstop, but it's in the BASEMENT.LOL:D:D

ElkSlayer
01-17-2011, 06:08 PM
lmao sonny maybe it was just the cross wind over that table..and could be why the wife said you should sleep with that bow:D

rjd
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I agree sometimes it looks like neither eye was open. Just to add some fun to it try switching from right to left haned. . One afternoon it took 2 arrows smashing into the brick wall. Before I figured out that left hand you should use your left eye .

SonnyThomas
01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
We said both eyes open :eek: not closed :D

Hutch

Your just like my wife, calling me directionally impaired like that. :(

alex
01-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't use my eyes at all when shooting, just use the Force (the dark side) ;)

polaris754
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
couldnt be said any better ,sonny rotf lmao
my wife warned me about shootin over the table and i guess she was right again , if she decides that the arrow goes there and the lamp goes there shes right ,all said and done its a fine wife that lets u shoot in the house ,and a better wife that lets u do it :eek:

elkslayer4x5
01-19-2011, 08:29 AM
And now back to the original question..... Both eyes open. :)