PDA

View Full Version : Which Bows Have 14" Limbs?

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm like to know which Martin models have 14" or longer limbs?

No particular reason, just curious. ;) :D

Thanks
Mark

copterdoc
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Now?

None.

The last year for 14" limbs was either 06, or 07.

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Interesting. I assume they are all shorter than 14" now?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Interesting. I assume they are all shorter than 14" now?

13" I believe!

Hutch

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Okie Dokie.

ElkSlayer
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
well as copterdoc says no longer...but you can swap out a 13 for a 14.. and then there's cam swaps too..and FYI he's the guy to ask on that so long as its a nitros cam...lol guy knows a lot about them badboys

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I better learn to crawl before I walk and walk before I run!!! :D

ElkSlayer
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Good idea ...but no better way to learn to work on one :D than build it

ElkSlayer
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
what bows are you looking at?

MLN1963
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
In the Martin line or all bows?

Martin: Basically all of them that aren't above 32ish A2A and go down to 26" draw length. My running question is which one is the best bang for the buck? They are all spec'd the same basically. At least they look that way on paper. The Pantera is on the list.

I have drawn or shot the following Martins: Nemisis, Onza 3, Firecat 400, Firecat 360, Firecat, Exile, Cheetah and Phantom II

The Firecat had 2010 modules in the cams and it was sweet to draw. I was shocked when he said it was set to 60 pounds DW. It was so smooth and easy. I would love to know what it's speed was.

They all felt good to me but I have no real world usage to compare to.

Bowtech: I like the Assassin and the Admiral (2010). I've shot the Assassin and liked it a lot.

Diamond: Iceman, Outlaw and Fugitive. I've only held and drew the Iceman.

PSE: Vendetta XS Another nice compact bow IMO.

bfisher
01-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Here is something I've been saying for a long time. When comparing Martin bows with Cat cams vs Tranz/Accutrac cams you should not compare draw cycles at the same weight. You should set the two bows so they chronograph the same and then compare how they feel. The Accutrac/Tranz or MPro series will require about 8# more draw weight to achieve the same speed as a Cat cam.

Do you get what I'm saying? Draw weight is just a number. It's similar performance you are looking for to compare the draw cycles. You'd be amazed at how smooth the Cat cam is at 7-8# less draw weight.

MLN1963
01-19-2011, 07:28 AM
That is why I wanted to know the speed on the modified Firecat. As far as I know the shop doesn't have a chronograph, at least I've never noticed it there. They are reasonably cheap now so you think it would be a useful tuning tool.

bfisher
01-19-2011, 08:17 AM
That is why I wanted to know the speed on the modified Firecat. As far as I know the shop doesn't have a chronograph, at least I've never noticed it there. They are reasonably cheap now so you think it would be a useful tuning tool.

They may have one. You need to ask and if they don't have one maybe a tactful suggestion would induce them to get one.

Being as they are relatively inexpensive you could maybe get one for yourself. I used to have one, but it bit the dust a year or so ago and I just haven't replaced it. It did come in pretty handy when I was tuning and tinkering.

elkslayer4x5
01-19-2011, 09:19 AM
They may have one. You need to ask and if they don't have one maybe a tactful suggestion would induce them to get one.

Being as they are relatively inexpensive you could maybe get one for yourself. I used to have one, but it bit the dust a year or so ago and I just haven't replaced it. It did come in pretty handy when I was tuning and tinkering.

Didn't you say in another post that you're always tinkering ? :D

MLN1963
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM

I'll ask next time I'm there.

I plan on buying one myself for reloading gun stuff. I wonder if the same one can be used for bows or if they require different set ups? Either way the Chrono will be on hold for a while. My money tree has never taken root yet but I'm still trying. :D

bfisher
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Didn't you say in another post that you're always tinkering ? :D

Yes, but less in depth these days.

elkslayer4x5
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll ask next time I'm there.

I plan on buying one myself for reloading gun stuff. I wonder if the same one can be used for bows or if they require different set ups? Either way the Chrono will be on hold for a while. My money tree has never taken root yet but I'm still trying. :D

In everything I've read on chronographs say they will record speeds from either rifle or bow, as long as you shoot thru the same place each time, they will give an accurate reading. :)

Arrow Splitter
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
In everything I've read on chronographs say they will record speeds from either rifle or bow, as long as you shoot thru the same place each time, they will give an accurate reading. :)

x2 I believe you're right on.:cool:

MLN1963
01-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Here is something I've been saying for a long time. When comparing Martin bows with Cat cams vs Tranz/Accutrac cams you should not compare draw cycles at the same weight. You should set the two bows so they chronograph the same and then compare how they feel. The Accutrac/Tranz or MPro series will require about 8# more draw weight to achieve the same speed as a Cat cam.

Do you get what I'm saying? Draw weight is just a number. It's similar performance you are looking for to compare the draw cycles. You'd be amazed at how smooth the Cat cam is at 7-8# less draw weight.

It sounds like you are saying the CAT cam is more efficient. Why did they leave it and go to another version?

What cams does the 2010 Firecat TR2 come with?

Spiker
01-29-2011, 07:55 AM
It sounds like you are saying the CAT cam is more efficient. Why did they leave it and go to another version?

What cams does the 2010 Firecat TR2 come with?

'10 TR2 has C.A.T. 2 cams.
New Nitro cams are upgraded versions of the C.A.T.s.

Spiker
01-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I have a Jaguar with 14" limbs...

MLN1963
01-29-2011, 08:30 AM
It sounds like the updated version isn't as good as the old version if I am reading BFisher's post correctly.

bfisher
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
It sounds like the updated version isn't as good as the old version if I am reading BFisher's post correctly.

You're not following me. My comparison was between the Cat/Cat2/Nitro cams and the single cam versions. Comparing the 3 versions of the binary cams you won't notice much difference between them. They are different, but it's not so much a matter of efficiency as just slight design differences to address issues such as cam lean and make them compatable with the different limb designs.

The comparison I wrote above is to give an idea of what to expect when comparing the binary cam to the single cam versions. Even then it's not a matter of a difference in efficiency as much as the draw characteristics of the two cams. The single cam is not as aggressive and that is why it draws easier for a given draw weight.

The things is, in archery, a more aggressive cam is always faster at a given draw weight due to the fact that the archer has to put more work into the draw. In other words, more energy put into the bow equals more energy out.

MLN1963
01-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Okay, I'm on board now. You even had it all spelled out and I didn't catch that. I thought you were comparing dual cams. I totally understand now that I know you are comparing dual cam to single cam. Thanks!

Spiker
01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Welcome back Barry.

MLN1963
01-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Barry

So what your saying is a 60# Firecat 400 shoots about the same speeds as a 68# Firecat 360? Now you have given me even more things to consider. :D