PDA

View Full Version : The new 2011 limbs

whman
01-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Hello All,
Is there any feedback as of yet concerning the new, solid glass limbs being used on the new 2011 bows (and replacement limbs for the 2010 bows)? Are they standing up to higher use better, making the right speed etc?
Thanks to all for any input. I'm thinking of buying yet another new bow, and like the Martins quite a bit, but I'm concerned about the limbs.

Again, thanks.

bfisher
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not hearing anything, but then there are very few 2011 bows in consumers' hands. Give it some time.

Brem
01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Maybe Ehunter can jump in he has had a 2011 Firecat 400 for a little while

archerx7
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
As far as the durability, too early to tell as of yet, but my opinion is that they should be much better than last years laminated limbs. Solid glass limbs have been around for a very long time and have proven themselves to be quite durable, and looking at the way they have these designed with extra material left in the areas where a limb would normally fail, they shouldn't have many if any problems this year.

gibson 787
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I have the solid 2011 limbs on 2009 bows and have shot many arrows with them and have had no problems in any area. I have heard that the performance (speed) is slightly below those constructed of laminations, however if it is, it's so slight, not worth worrying about. My bows are well tuned and through a chrono the speed is almost identical to when they had the old limbs.

Spiker
01-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Dave- Good to hear you've got the problems sorted out.!

Ehunter
01-23-2011, 05:52 AM
I have over 1000 shots on a Firecat 400. So far, no problems at all. Limbs seem good and solid, speed is the same I was getting with my old "09 Firecat with laminated limbs. 386 gr. arrow, 68# draw@28.5 inches, 296 fps. The new strings are great. No peep rotation since shot #1, no stretch, nothing. If I had one thing I'd warn people about it is this. The new center serving is thicker than what's been used in the past (or a higher strand count in the string). Nock fit with my arrows was enough tighter that it was throwing my accuracy off. Once I got that taken care of, everything is shooting great. Sorry it took me a few days to respond.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2011, 06:14 AM
I have over 1000 shots on a Firecat 400. So far, no problems at all. Limbs seem good and solid, speed is the same I was getting with my old "09 Firecat with laminated limbs. 386 gr. arrow, 68# draw@28.5 inches, 296 fps. The new strings are great. No peep rotation since shot #1, no stretch, nothing. If I had one thing I'd warn people about it is this. The new center serving is thicker than what's been used in the past (or a higher strand count in the string). Nock fit with my arrows was enough tighter that it was throwing my accuracy off. Once I got that taken care of, everything is shooting great. Sorry it took me a few days to respond.

Thats good news! Thanks for the info.

Hutch

MLN1963
01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Nock fit with my arrows was enough tighter that it was throwing my accuracy off. Once I got that taken care of, everything is shooting great. Sorry it took me a few days to respond.

How do you take care of that, new nocks?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2011, 08:55 AM
How do you take care of that, new nocks?

Small dia center serving.

Hutch

MLN1963
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
That sorta sucks. Get a new bow and have to have the area re-served? I doubt many dealers will be doing that as they sell the bow.

Are there different sized nocks if you are starting from scratch.

archerx7
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Nock fit is based on 2 things, serving size and the nocks themselves. On the same size center serving its very possable to have certain nock brands fit loose and others tight and yet another brand fit perfect.
Some people will opt to change the center serving size to fit the nocks they use/prefer and others will just switch to a different nock.
The stock center serving on the Hammerhead strings work very well with the standard nocks found on Victory arrows while the nocks on some of the Easton's fit tight.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Nock fit is based on 2 things, serving size and the nocks themselves. On the same size center serving its very possable to have certain nock brands fit loose and others tight and yet another brand fit perfect.
Some people will opt to change the center serving size to fit the nocks they use/prefer and others will just switch to a different nock.
The stock center serving on the Hammerhead strings work very well with the standard nocks found on Victory arrows while the nocks on some of the Easton's fit tight.

Well said well said, it all depends in preference. Most will change the center serving, cost is more effective.

Hutch

Ehunter
01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I kinda cheat when it comes to making the nocks fit. I have reserved in extreme cases, but if it's close, I'll wrap some 180 grit paper tight around the string, not around the serving, and nock/denock the arrow on the paper until it's a good fit on the serving. It takes a little time, but seems to works better than other methods I've heard of. Some heat a nail and put their nocks on that, etc. My method seems to keep the nock groove centered. It gives me something to do while I'm frying my brain watching TV. lol

archerX The Victory arrows I'm using didn't fit very well. I'm using the VAP's with pin nocks. They needed to be "opened up" a bit for a decent fit on the Hammerhead strings.

archerx7
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=
archerX The Victory arrows I'm using didn't fit very well. I'm using the VAP's with pin nocks. They needed to be "opened up" a bit for a decent fit on the Hammerhead strings.[/QUOTE]

The pin nocks are a bit tighter than the standard nocks found on the Vforce shafts, Bohning blazer nocks I think.