PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now what BT release showed up

ElkSlayer
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Well folks I went an done it..Jumped in to the icey waters head first.:rolleyes:

I picked up a Tru Ball BT Gold Ultra 3. It looks as thou it was never used. I have ajusted the halfmoon per the truball web site.

Only thing, is it enough or to much? As per everthing I have read on learning to use a BT. I took a old bow string to make a training aid.(need something else, it kills my hand)

I am looking for any advise or tips to help me master this, with out punching my self in the face. It does not have a safty.:cool:

archerx7
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I have a couple Carter BT releases, don't use them much but a buddy of mine swears by them. When he taught me to use mine he said to make sure to wrap my thumb around the thumb peg till it touched my index finger, then draw the bow putting most of the pressure on the thumb/index finger untill you get to anchor then take your thumb off the peg after getting the pin on the target and then start to pull through the shot with your back muscles.
In case you haven't been told yet.......draw the string back, away from your face, just in case.;)
If you find the need to let down because the release isn't going off soon enough, wrap your thumb back around the peg.:D

SonnyThomas
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice release. I had one once. Bought it...Stole it. The store miss-marked the release, $27.99. Snatched it up faster than greased lightening.

First, if you haven't messed with one, get someone who has.

I see you have found the TRU Ball website and set the release.
Suggested is to have the release set heavy until you get the back tension working properly.
String arm; String elbow in line with power stroke of string. The elbow has to be as such to allow the muscles to pull past the pivot point. In other words, if you pull and the elbow goes down and/or out you're doing it wrong. The elbow should go straight back or even a tad to the right of the power stroke.

Your Gold should have a clicker - read of it. Basically, if it isn't set for the clicker, you remove the half moon, turn it around and put it back in.

Like Archer said; Hang on to the thumb barrel. I nearly knocked out myself twice. Once I was on my knees and staring out in space.

The training aid. I made my own. Checking in secret files...... found it. I used a length of 2413 alum arrow and gave it a slight bend and the string is trot line. Later I built up the handle with tape.
Basically, attach the string as shown and then just tie knots in the string until you adjust to your draw length - Bow arm strong and good anchor point.

ElkSlayer
01-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I had it set as shown in picture, I was not sure if it may have been too heavy. Had a heck of a time to get it to fire. so a redo on the training aid. using a pice of thick leather in the hand. its helping. ajusted length to help find a good ancor pt. :confused:
then re-ajusted half moon so its abit softer, It does have a click to it, right befor it fires. managed to lanch the string 3-4 feet :D so hopefuly my form is good ..no one around here shoots one, Im the test dummy...lol Will keep at it and hopefuly i can train the dog to fetch this string aid :cool: Any pointers are more then welcome.

elkslayer4x5
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
:eek: Now this is getting scary, Sonny ( what's that about shooting in the house ? ) is telling Elkslayer how to's for his new to him BT release!:eek: Run Koda! Might need more than a good pointer, like a great backstop ! :D
Elkslayer, see, told ya that it would be Sonny with the most comprehensive discussion on the use of the aforementioned device.

ElkSlayer
01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
spent alot of time digging threw archery talk last night found a good bit of info posted in past threads, even a youtube video made by GRIV. looks as thou I am on track. thanks again sonny. I have not found any text on the clicker but the youtube vid touched on it.. ;)

ElkSlayer
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
here is the link i dug up to Griv's youtube Video.. Its about 9 min. and found it very helpfull. even if Im just using the plan ole string trainer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkJ2oDZrRI
Any helpful do and dont's? any of you have discoverd along this path. :D

SonnyThomas
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
:eek: Now this is getting scary, Sonny ( what's that about shooting in the house ? ) is telling Elkslayer how to's for his new to him BT release!:eek: Run Koda! Might need more than a good pointer, like a great backstop ! :D
Elkslayer, see, told ya that it would be Sonny with the most comprehensive discussion on the use of the aforementioned device.

I may be stupid, but not insane. Regardless, once you get the hang of bt release they are pretty safe - wouldn't want some of the my friends around me though. They call ya on the cell phone when on the verge of shooting, lickin' ya in the ear. I use the word "friends" loosely. Great bunch of guys, but dang, they'll take your stabilizer, take your arrows, hide your bow and call out a your 10 as a miss.... Suckers turnt the lights out on the indoor range when I was about to shoot.

ElkSlayer
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
they'll take your stabilizer, take your arrows, hide your bow and call out a your 10 as a miss.... Suckers turnt the lights out on the indoor range when I was about to shoot.

Now thats not very friendly, doubt they would like it when i got my stabilizer back :p had a buddy think it funny to unhinge your knee from behind @ your shot..only did it once to me :mad: :eek::eek: lol

ElkSlayer
01-22-2011, 09:53 PM
After messing with just a string last night, and watching the youtube vid.
I set out about the house to find some other items this evening.
With the wifes Ok . I re-built her bungie exercise thing, in to this handy training devise.
Used one handle, atached length of 550 cord for wrist strap.(picking it up off the floor every shot is a PITA thing)
Koda was no help ;)
Made a loop out of old lanyard, extra long tied like a D loop with extra half hitch. can use this to ajust for stiffer pull.
The pull weight wont regester on my spring scale so its uner 15lbs..
It has no solid back wall.:confused:. But I have another handle ready for next one with solid backwall :rolleyes: hummm thinking

ElkSlayer
01-23-2011, 01:30 AM
here is what i came up with. Took an old string apart, left one end loop that was served, so i could make a loop around bungie between Large D loop. once I had that, tied it for a short loop. then twised the bundle of string back together. I served about 3/4" some 22" inches up the string making my self a Y cable type draw stop. I wraped the legs the Y around the handle top & bottom. had plenty of length on each leg..:D now hows my form...hahahhaha..lol feals prety good thou Iam still looking for that new ancor pt....;)

CarlosII
01-23-2011, 05:01 AM
I may be stupid, but not insane. Regardless, once you get the hang of bt release they are pretty safe - wouldn't want some of the my friends around me though. They call ya on the cell phone when on the verge of shooting, lickin' ya in the ear. I use the word "friends" loosely. Great bunch of guys, but dang, they'll take your stabilizer, take your arrows, hide your bow and call out a your 10 as a miss.... Suckers turnt the lights out on the indoor range when I was about to shoot.
sounds like they're trying to tell you somethin' ol' timer.

elkslayer4x5
01-23-2011, 08:24 AM

If you are refering to me, one of them is my son, and the other one certainly knows I was pulling his leg, at least I would hope that he does. :D

SonnyThomas
01-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Mercy. 68 is old geezer and headin' for 62 is ole timer.

SonnyThomas
01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Now thats not very friendly, doubt they would like it when i got my stabilizer back :p had a buddy think it funny to unhinge your knee from behind @ your shot..only did it once to me :mad: :eek::eek: lol

We go into local 3D shoots knowing any one of us are going to mess with someone. Comes down to competition and we get serious.

SonnyThomas
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
When getting into back tension releases you may have to reset peep location and/or draw length. Below are the 3 I use. Presently my Shadowcat is set for the TRU Ball ST360, upper left. My Stanislawski, upper right, needs the draw length shortened at least 1/4" - note no thumb barrel, not even a place for one. My Stanislawski Deuce, red, needs the peep raised some or I have lean my head over quite a bit. Here, the Deuce is said to be a faster bt release and if set just so-so just easying up to let the fingers equalize will fire it.
Again, the draw elbow has to be in line with the power stroke of the string. You if let the elbow out and or down it's really hard to get back tension to work and if anything trying harder pulls you out of shape.

CarlosII
01-23-2011, 03:26 PM
If you are refering to me, one of them is my son, and the other one certainly knows I was pulling his leg, at least I would hope that he does. :D

naw...i was talkin' about the illinois flash aka sonny.

SonnyThomas
01-23-2011, 04:06 PM
illinois flash aka sonny.

>>>----------> Yep, that's me, ole straight shooter....Well, sort of.

ElkSlayer
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I beleave things are comming along.:o but what do I know..lol
I made one last change to my trainer, well a few ajustments have been made. After the adidition of string stop.
1st was to cover it, used long length of fishing lure wire covers. sm dia orange is like a rubber snubber. The yellow (2 short ones) has no strech, its more like a straw.
2nd was to repalce long D loop for a shorter one. ;)
have to live with the string wraped/tied to handle. If i was to makea 2nd I would 1. drill holes in the handle 2. make large end loops that hook over handle. just like your bows axle . I may try this a bit later.:cool: Now My son says," We can sell that" :eek:

ElkSlayer
01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
When getting into back tension releases you may have to reset peep location and/or draw length..

Well thats not a problum.:D How is it switching between the 3 releases.. I hope to keep using my other wrist strap release as well but shoot it BT style. not worried about it messing with my finger tab...lol:D

SonnyThomas
01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
How is it switching between the 3 releases.. I hope to keep using my other wrist strap release as well but shoot it BT style.

Between the ST360 and Deuce it's just a matter of pushing the peep up - so no real problem. And the Deuce is just a tad shorter and gives a better draw length. Switching to the MagMicro, blue, the draw length of the bow is too long. This is a problem, but mostly because the Shadowcat is set to it's shortest setting. Should be 27" and it's over 28" and then I have the loop as short as it can go. This is the only thing that burns my a__, the draw length being off.

ElkSlayer
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I am worried about that DL being too short my self... looks as thou i may need to do that cam swap on my cougar III also will have to swap out limbs :( I love my S4 carbon weaved limbs .. 9.8 outa 10 :D oh well see what happens..after i hook up on that D loop for the 1st time:D

ElkSlayer
01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I just could not take it any longer hooked up to my cougar elite. stood nice and close and went for it..all in all wow. I like it. shots go off with a surprise :eek: did that fire..oh yea no longer holding it an there is the arrow in the target. takes a but of time to fire , have it set sort of stiff for now.
Question To all: after shooting a bow/arrow my whole life adding in shotguns, rifles, pistols...

Im 45 and do not know How to.. "NOT AIM" ? :o

I just cant do it. even when i use my trainer. Instinctive recrve shooter. so I have to shut my eyes .. found my self aiming with serving for peep :eek:.. Any body ? I was basicly blank bailing ?

SonnyThomas
01-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I just could not take it any longer hooked up to my cougar elite. stood nice and close and went for it..all in all wow. I like it. shots go off with a surprise :eek: did that fire..oh yea no longer holding it an there is the arrow in the target. takes a but of time to fire , have it set sort of stiff for now.
Question To all: after shooting a bow/arrow my whole life adding in shotguns, rifles, pistols...

Im 45 and do not know How to.. "NOT AIM" ? :o

I just cant do it. even when i use my trainer. Instinctive recrve shooter. so I have to shut my eyes .. found my self aiming with serving for peep :eek:.. Any body ? I was basicly blank bailing ?

Blank bale shooting;
Sort of hard to blank bale, not aim, when there is always something there to aim at, hole, tear, wrinkle, blemish and so forth.
So, some remove their sight so there is nothing to aim with.
Blank bale shooting is concentrating on form, consistency. Stance, feet placed, shoulder down, bow arm strong, anchor point, string elbow in line with power stroke of string, hand to grip the same each and every time, letting the pin settle and all being relaxed throughout the shot process.

So blank baling is also building and mind setting a check off list.

ElkSlayer
01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
So, some remove their sight so there is nothing to aim with.
So blank baling is also building and mind setting a check off list.

I can see Why. but i could not even see my pin, string was in the way ;)
I now have moved peep :rolleyes: so may need to remove HHA.
will still have the habit of instinctive shooting thou..how the heck does a guy remove that..40 years of it

As per The abc's of it OH yea every time, all the time..

My son did not help matters when he stated of with the comentary about Click---Boom. Line from his favorite comedian Jeff Dunham and his character "Achmed the Dead Terrorist" hard to not burst out laughing when i here it click now..thanks kid