PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizers

Simple Life
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
When you guys buy a stabilizer(hunting)is it for vibration or stabilizing or both.
Was looking at buying a new one,but was wondering what to purchase.I have a NAP Shockblocker,X-Ring Hydraulic,and Sims coil which are all 6" or under and on bows already,but for my upcoming purchase I was thinking more of a 10" or longer,maybe an Octane.Just like some opinions on what some of you guys are using.

Thanks SL

Ehunter
01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Mine are mainly for vibration control. I personally prefer a soft rubber part, like a Doinker lil' bomb, or even a rubber washer against the bow, then a stab added onto that. Rubber washers between every solid part. Since mine are just used for hunting, I try to keep in the 6-8 inch range on length. Right now, I'm actually working on a new stabilizer I have designed, especially for Martin bows. It will be an 8 inch length, but could easily be made longer or a bit shorter. All my Martin bows seem to balance very well with 6-8 inch stabs, so I chose the 8 inch length.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
I have it just for vibration. As you know the Martin line of bows is very well balanced. I have a small 4.5" simms s coil. It works well for me. But any one of the ones you have named will work well.

Hutch

ElkSlayer
01-23-2011, 09:31 AM
same here 6" S coil rubber dude on hunting bow replaced a 8" hydraulic. that now resides on the target bow , soon to added to or replaced for a longer one.;)

SonnyThomas
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I use a 8" NAP Shock Blocker. Enough weight to have bow roll slightly forward and shock absorbing. The Blocker is rubber mounted and has some type of material inside to give a hydraulic effect.

RLW
01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Both.....On my Bengal, I have a Simms X Coil (4.5", 5oz) for balance and to help w/vibration reduction. Although I really don't think my Bengal needed much help in the latter.
Tried the small Simms Mini-S Coil off my son's bow first and decided I wanted tiny bit more weight for just a touch more forward balance.

Problem I have with longer stabilizers for huntng, is there is just that much more sticking out to bump on limbs and/or snag in brush

Arrow Splitter
01-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Sims S-coil (4.5") for me.:cool:

elkslayer4x5
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
I like the Sims, 4.5" S coil with the 2.8" S coil extension, but seem to loose one every time one of the grandkids sees it, when I have the both of them on the bow, it balances really well for me, Unless or until I put a quiver on, then balance goes out the window! :)

RLW
01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
........Unless or until I put a quiver on, then balance goes out the window! :)
Think one of these days I might try some sort of stabilizer offset mount for better L/R balance with full quiver (which I use most the time).
A friend of mine uses a Fuse Sidekick(?) offset mount stabilizer, but those are more $$ than I'm willing to spend.

Montalaar
01-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Think one of these days I might try some sort of stabilizer offset mount for better L/R balance with full quiver (which I use most the time).
A friend of mine uses a Fuse Sidekick(?) offset mount stabilizer, but those are more $$ than I'm willing to spend.

Build your own one.

You just need piece of meta with two holes, one screw that will connect the piece of metal to the bow and one nut that will accept the stabilizer.

RLW
01-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I actually started to do that a while back, then got side tracked and it never thought much about again until today.......probably take all of 5 or 10 minutes if I'd just get off my rear end and do it.

ElkSlayer
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I use a low riser mounted quiver..it is not too bad, discoverd if i place my pinky on staby it naturaly rights the bow.. works for me but i will say I have Large Paw

Simple Life
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all your input.

SL

thatguy
01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
i just recently bought the 11.5" octane piston style stabilizer. havent actually shot with it on yet, but i tried everything under 10" and none worked the way i wanted. and i was looking for both stabilization and noise dampening. im just a little anal about noise though. but it looks to be top notch workmanship and looks like it will work very well. should be out shooting this weekend, if anybody cares i could do a quick write up about it when im done.

Simple Life
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
i just recently bought the 11.5" octane piston style stabilizer. havent actually shot with it on yet, but i tried everything under 10" and none worked the way i wanted. and i was looking for both stabilization and noise dampening. im just a little anal about noise though. but it looks to be top notch workmanship and looks like it will work very well. should be out shooting this weekend, if anybody cares i could do a quick write up about it when im done.

Yes,that is one of my picks for my new stabilizer,so love to hear your thoughts on it.:)

thatguy
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
ill be shooting it this weekend, most likely. but ill tell you this much, having that weight way out where it is helps balance it at full draw better than the little doinker style i had before. if you havent really read about it, there are two 1oz weights on the very end on the piston that can be added to or removed by way of a set screw. and it just feels like a quality peice of equipment, so i have high expectations from it. only thing left is to find out how it takes care of "recoil". and im not real concered about how long it is, ill be hunting mostly out of stands without the bar around the front. so the 11.5 is perfect for me.

elcid99
06-22-2014, 04:53 PM
As deer season is less than 2 months away in SC, I figured I'd bring this one back. I know folks who won't hunt without a long dish up front & side bar, but they spot & stalk. The shots they take are much longer than any I've taken in the dense woods of SC. Personally, I haven't found stabs 12" or less to stabilize my bows. So, 4-8" vibration killers ate all I will use in the woods.

Heck, I am not sure if one would help or hurt me as the Nemesis is so well balanced, dead in the hand, & close to silent. If I hunt out West, totally differen ball game-essentially a 3D Rig

I should mention, I will be testing a 4-8" Palmetto State Stabilizer this season (black carbon fiber on my black carbon Nemesis 35 w cable slide.