PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer

Ehunter
01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Ok, new Stabilizer I designed using the new VEM modules. 7 inch length, 8 ounce weight. Both could be changed if needed. Still needs camo dipped. Thanks for your input guys!

SonnyThomas
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Clean design. Taking Martin's and Mathew's idea to a new area of thinking. Stop and thing of most "shaker" stabs and the shake goes back and forth. Here, you have certain amount of multi-direction.

You didn't note that the stab is threaded on both ends so weight could be added - another good thought put in the design.

Ehunter
01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Hutch mentioned about making another place for another VEM. I chose to just use the two, since it would be very easy to shorten this stab if someone wanted a 5-6 inch version. Now I'm rethinking this whole thing. What if I made individual pieces with the VEM in them, and they could be screwed together to attain the length a person wanted. Say each piece 3 inches long, threaded at both ends. Just put a thin sheet of rubber between them for futher dampening. More of a modular type of stab. Then the VEMs could be situated horizontally, and vertically also. Any ideas?

Thanks for the input Sonny and Hutch. Greatly appreciated. And to all who reply.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Hutch mentioned about making another place for another VEM. I chose to just use the two, since it would be very easy to shorten this stab if someone wanted a 5-6 inch version. Now I'm rethinking this whole thing. What if I made individual pieces with the VEM in them, and they could be screwed together to attain the length a person wanted. Say each piece 3 inches long, threaded at both ends. Just put a thin sheet of rubber between them for futher dampening. More of a modular type of stab. Then the VEMs could be situated horizontally, and vertically also. Any ideas?

Thanks for the input Sonny and Hutch. Greatly appreciated. And to all who reply.

Again good thinking! Look at what the market wants. If I went to buy your product. Could I buy a 6" stab, than later I decide I want to lengthen it. What are my choices? 3" or 4" extensions. This will give it a better appeal.

Hutch

Simple Life
01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
What if I made individual pieces with the VEM in them, and they could be screwed together to attain the length a person wanted. Say each piece 3 inches long, threaded at both ends. Just put a thin sheet of rubber between them for futher dampening. More of a modular type of stab. Then the VEMs could be situated horizontally, and vertically also. Any ideas?

I think the adding or removing of modules would be good,then you could customize it to you and your bow.BTW good looking stab,are you gonna produce these?

SonnyThomas
01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Only testing would prove for a 3rd or possible overkill, but then there are some wicked bows that need that extra bit of taming. Modular design is nice, but the trick is to get good match up. ??? Other testing would be looking into angle of VEMs - this may give good effect for the side to side problems some shooters may have.

For giggles; Transparent green or red or blue - aluminum to come through and give the depth look to color. Candy apple? Hey, camo works, but some like a bit of racy stuff. This might be serious when considering those that use all the stab they can in competition - like 12".

Ehunter
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Sonny, I was thinking that if it was made into modules, you would be able to rotate them to "point" the VEMs vertically, horizontally, or anywhere in between just by using rubber washers between the mods. A person can always add weight to the end if they wish as well. For that matter, you could put a weight between modules too. Then you could play with how they effected vibration and noise for each particular bow and shooting style. As far as colors, I was just planning on camo until I saw if these things were going to be very well accepted by everyone. It looks like each module should weigh in around 2 1/2-3 ounces. 3 inches long, and 1 1/4 inch diameter. Thanks again for the input! And yes, they are both patent pending. lol

SonnyThomas
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Again, testing to see if the mods would stay where put. Having had stabs come loose and parts of them come loose I've learned to check. Checking is good, but people are lazy and start pointing fingers. Okay, your idea is sound, but seems someone is always in waiting.

Keep in mind; Hollow tubes to give length and smaller weights give results of being heavy. Perhaps another test; A shake out front can come right back up the stab and, yep, shake the bow. Just a thought from when a friend tried a recurve stab with ball bearing out on the end of the long stab. Shook so bad that you had to hang onto the bow.

Ehunter
01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Ok Sonny, here's the new shorter mods. Threw some camo tape on one just for an idea of looks. Rubber shims between each mod seem to hold them good and tight, and also allow for the VEMs to be on varying angles.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Now we are talking! I am liking it. Once complete and finished, I think you got something. Also would you be offering any type of end tip like doinker does. That would add some extra style.

Hutch

Ehunter
01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks Hutch. With the way these mods have turned out, and how effective they are, (I've shot them on 2 different bows. 2011 Firecat, and "08 Moab), Other than cosmetically, I don't think a doinker type end is neccessary. However, if using only 2 mods, it might not be a bad idea. I'll try that set-up, and let you know how it shoots. Gonna send them off to dipping tomorrow, so it'll be a week or two before I get them back. Found a company that uses Next G1 camo dip, so it'll match Martin bows perfectly.

SonnyThomas
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey! Where'd the first pic go?

Okay! When can you ship for a test hop?

Suggestions: End to riser tapered or stepped down to give cleaner match riser. O-ring or rubber between stab and riser - no maring of riser, added grip. Removable end cap - rubber maybe - no clang if it hits metal, treestand or ladder.

elkslayer4x5
01-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Looking pretty good, where do I get one?:)

Ehunter
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Elkslayer4X5, this is still a prototype right now. I am looking for someone to manufacture them, thinking maybe Martin might want to get in on it even. Going to talk to my local rep as soon as he gets back from the road, and see what his ideas are as well. Martin gets first shot at it, but if they aren't interested, I have a couple other places in mind. I'll keep you all posted when I find out more.

Sonny, I thought about narrowing down the riser end, but when it's on in front of a wrist sling, it looks pretty good. Also, not tapering it will keep the manufacturing aspect as well as the ordering and stocking aspects simplified. I thought about a rubber end cap or some sort, but wanted to see how well the camo dip silenced it against knocks before I worried about it. If nothing else, just a simple slip on end cap should work as long as it fits snugly. Thanks for the ideas!