bucknuts17
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
New to the forum. I wanted to show off my Slayer

ElkSlayer
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
welcome to the site... Nice bow ;)

elkslayer4x5
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Love those bows! I see Its C camed, what you're set up? You pegging that bad boy? Whats the weight, and what are you drawing? :)

bucknuts17
01-26-2011, 08:49 PM
hl modules 65#@28in. shooting beaman mfx 380g arrows at 270fps. this was a gift from a friend and i kind of went crazy on it new winners choice strings and all the bowjax and new grip and sling made from paracord. just a delight to shoot.

elkslayer4x5
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Did you read this post by wisecane called Copterdoc?
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8581
In post 12 corterdoc says "You will get the best performance and reliability, with 14" limbs, B cams and reg mods. It will have an "adjusted" IBO of about 340. if you're interested, I know someone who has a set of Bs that he wants to trade for Cs. :cool:

bucknuts17
01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
slow down im new to this, so b cams are faster then c cams my limbs are 13in. this will increase my ibo 70fps sign me up. fill me in Please!

ElkSlayer
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
yes B are faster and A are even faster...trouble is A are for short draw,s
B's med An C's long draw.. made this way to give same proformance across the DL range So You are @28" thats mid low range on your mod.. I Have B's I am @ 29" max on my mod.. copterdoc's the master with all speeds gained and lost along with BH differances from C - B etc..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Nicely done bow! Welcome to the forum!

Hutch:cool:

copterdoc
01-27-2011, 04:01 AM
slow down im new to this, so b cams are faster then c cams my limbs are 13in. this will increase my ibo 70fps sign me up. fill me in Please!
You can't reach 28" with the 13" limbs and B cams.

Although, it won't be any faster with 14" limbs at 28", than it will with 13" limbs at 27".

Shortening the limbs by one inch, shortens the brace height by 1" as well. The power stroke is the same, so the speed is the same.

You won't get an extra 70 F.P.S. by switching to B cams. That's not how IBO works.

Right now, there is something wrong with your set-up, since you are getting an adjusted IBO of about 309. It probably has something to do with that drop away screwing up your cam timing, and the STS that is too close to your string.

Anyway, with 14" limbs and B cams, properly tuned, you would have a BH between 6.25" and 6.5", and get an adjusted IBO of 340. That's about 30 more than you currently have, but only about 15 more than you should be getting right now.

Best case, with B cams at your DL, 65#, with a 380 grain arrow, is right at 300 F.P.S.

ElkSlayer
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
see what I mean:D:D the doc rocks :D
Cant wait to set my bow up via his experance :cool: as It was (cam's over rotated) I got 80+ yard out of my HHA have no clue what it would do if i ever put my toxonic target sight on it. my string is a tad to long so I need to replace it ..Want to switch to C's. once i get some I will do the whole change over..

bucknuts17
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
i dont understand what you mean by i got 80 yards out of your hha im sorry i am new to all this im acustomed to stick and string

Arrow Splitter
01-28-2011, 06:07 AM
i dont understand what you mean by i got 80 yards out of your hha im sorry i am new to all this im acustomed to stick and string

The HHA is a single pin slider sight, meaning the sight itself slides up and down. There is an indicator on it and a tape with yardage markings(20 yd., 30 yd. etc.), so all you do is slide the indicator to the yardage you want to shoot. Elkslayer was able to put yardage markings up to 80 yards on his sight.
The picture is of my Truglo Range Rover, which uses the same principal. You can see the white tape with the yardage markings, and the indicator is barely visible at the bottom of the tape, because I have it set for 20 yd.
Hope this helps.

bucknuts17
01-28-2011, 08:17 AM
i would imagine that takes some getting used to seems to me its just one more thing to do when that deer comes into range and as far as having an 80 yard pin, i dont think i be taking that shot

elkslayer4x5
01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Want to know what your 06 Slayer is capable of? Below is a pic of my 55# Slayer, the one I shoot 3D and field rounds with, you can see the HHA slider indicator is way above the last mark which is 75 yds, Thats as far as I can shoot on my backyard fied range ( yes I know, field rounds go out to 80 yds, I have to stand on the neighbors to get that ) Please excuse my shakey numbers as its a difficult spot to write in! I was just too lazy to take the tape off and make a neater one, my bad. :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/HHAsighttape.jpg

elkslayer4x5
01-28-2011, 08:58 AM
i would imagine that takes some getting used to seems to me its just one more thing to do when that deer comes into range and as far as having an 80 yard pin, i dont think i be taking that shot

Well, yes it is one more thing to think about before your draw on that deer/ target/ elk/ or whatever. But it is time well spent, as it gives you time to check your yardage, I carry a rangefinder, re set if you need to ( I hunt with my pin set at 30yds ) AND then calmly, make the shot. I"ll tell right now, keep your eyes off his headgear!
As far as shooting at 80 yds, it sure makes 40 yds look close, that why we shoot out there, well that and it's about the only way I can watch my arrow flight, its usally in the target before I can see it in flight, all 3 of my Martin are pretty quick! :D

Arrow Splitter
01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I usually hunt with my pin at 30 yards as well. I also leave my locking knob loose so I can make quick adjustments.
As far as making an 80 yard shot on an animal, I wouldn't take the shot, but I have shot at a target from 100 yards using my Jaguar and Truglo Range Rover.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
When you practice enough with a single pin you usually can set the yardage and not worry about 5 to 10 yard difference. So when a deer comes and you are set for 35 yards 5 to 10 yards difference will only be inches of lowering or raising the bow.

Hutch

elkslayer4x5
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM

No its not a shot I'd take either, but I do have to be deadly out to 60 yds when chasing elk, and by that I mean within an 8 inch circle, paper plate. Some days I can shoot a group like that at 80, could do it all the time when I was half as old. It really hard to say that you won't take a shot, until you hunted hard 6 days and on your last morning, there's that 75-80 shot at a grazing elk. Then, you tempted to re think that. :D

Arrow Splitter
01-29-2011, 04:56 AM
It really hard to say that you won't take a shot, until you hunted hard 6 days and on your last morning, there's that 75-80 shot at a grazing elk. Then, you tempted to re think that. :D

You definitely have a point there. Not that I'm going to see a deer 80 yards away in our woods though.:D

elkslayer4x5
01-29-2011, 05:18 AM
From the Pacific coast to about 30 miles inland, it's really dense and hard to see more that 30 yds. Beyond that the clearings get bigger and bigger, and so you need to be able take the 60 yd shot, not that we shoot a lot of animals at those distances, still need to be prepared to, because hunting public land, thats the kind of shot you most often get. :(

elkslayer4x5
01-29-2011, 05:26 AM
You definitely have a point there. Not that I'm going to see a deer 80 yards away in our woods though.:D

From the Pacific coast to about 30 miles inland, the vegitation is very dense, and beyond that the clearing keep getting larger, and hunting on public land, mostly clear cut logging units you need to be prepared to take those 60+ yd shots, because that might be your only shot of the day. So that shot you took at 100 yds, how close to your target did you hit? :)

Arrow Splitter
01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
From the Pacific coast to about 30 miles inland, the vegitation is very dense, and beyond that the clearing keep getting larger, and hunting on public land, mostly clear cut logging units you need to be prepared to take those 60+ yd shots, because that might be your only shot of the day. So that shot you took at 100 yds, how close to your target did you hit? :)

I wasn't really aiming for a specific point on the target(it's only about the size of the BLOCK), but I missed the target only a few times out of my 12+ shots.
That was my first time shooting that long of a distance, and I probably could do better now, but I would not try taking a deer at that distance.:eek:

elkslayer4x5
01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't shoot any animal from 100yds unless what I shot it with was loud. :) But I have no problem shooting 100+ yd foam, cedar bales, 36" bags or a home built lifetime target. Love to watch arrows fly! I've got a 14 target field range out back, I shoot it at least 5 times a week during spring with the 55# Slayer. June 1st brings out the 63# Slayer, Deer opens 2nd weekend of July. You take a look at the cousre by starting here then click previous, till you get to the 70yd, I don't have a good pic of the 80, but it's just 10 yds back of the 70. Lots of arrows get shoot up that tunnel! I use these nine to make 14 targets, That will give you an idea of the shots I'm used to taking.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/?action=view&current=DSCN1024.jpg

Arrow Splitter
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't shoot any animal from 100yds unless what I shot it with was loud. :) But I have no problem shooting 100+ yd foam, cedar bales, 36" bags or a home built lifetime target. Love to watch arrows fly! I've got a 14 target field range out back, I shoot it at least 5 times a week during spring with the 55# Slayer. June 1st brings out the 63# Slayer, Deer opens 2nd weekend of July. You take a look at the cousre by starting here then click previous, till you get to the 70yd, I don't have a good pic of the 80, but it's just 10 yds back of the 70. Lots of arrows get shoot up that tunnel! I use these nine to make 14 targets, That will give you an idea of the shots I'm used to taking.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/?action=view&current=DSCN1024.jpg

That's a cool target range you have. From your photos, I'd say California is just as wooded as here, if not more so.
Here's some pics from New Hampshire. http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/ArrowSplitter/New%20Hampshires%20woods/
All the hunting ones were taken last year.

elkslayer4x5
02-01-2011, 06:26 AM
AS,
Thanks for the tour, looks as thick and as dense as what I hunt in. Is that what the front yard looks like right now? Brrrrrr! Sure makes me glad that I live on the other side of the continent, in a temprate zone! Although we do see 60" - 72" of rain a year, don't have to shovel a drop of it off the drive way! :D

Arrow Splitter
02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
AS,
Thanks for the tour, looks as thick and as dense as what I hunt in. Is that what the front yard looks like right now? Brrrrrr! Sure makes me glad that I live on the other side of the continent, in a temprate zone! Although we do see 60" - 72" of rain a year, don't have to shovel a drop of it off the drive way! :D

That front yard picture is an old one, I'll have to take a picture of what the yard looks like now. We have more snow now than what's in that picture.:eek:
As far as shoveling goes, I don't even want to know the amount of snow that I've shoveled so far, and I've used the snow blower even more than the shovel. Tomorrow this area could get over a foot of snow, on top of the 2-4 inches we just got today, and the 2-3 feet we already have.

Arrow Splitter
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's the new pics of the front yard (and more) from the recent storm.
http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/ArrowSplitter/2011%20New%20Hampshire%20Winter%20pics/
If you think that's too much snow, we are probably going to get more very soon.:eek:

elkslayer4x5
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Looks like plenty to me! So how are you getting out to those mail boxes? Hope you're not expecting something in the mail! More on the way? In the mean time, on the oppisite side of the continent, looks like today will be 71* and will drop all the way to 45* tonight. While it sounds nice, it should be raining. A lot! 10-11 years ago, during Feb it rained 25 days, yep, 3 days it didn't rain. Pretty wet that year. :eek:

Arrow Splitter
02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Looks like plenty to me! So how are you getting out to those mail boxes? Hope you're not expecting something in the mail! More on the way? In the mean time, on the oppisite side of the continent, looks like today will be 71* and will drop all the way to 45* tonight. While it sounds nice, it should be raining. A lot! 10-11 years ago, during Feb it rained 25 days, yep, 3 days it didn't rain. Pretty wet that year. :eek:

That's a lot of water! We are supposed to get a few more inches of snow tomorrow. The driveway is cleared out to the mail boxes, so we can get mail. About 3 years ago we had about 2x the amount of snow that we have now, and different towns and cities here were breaking previous snow records.:eek: I believe we had 5+ feet of snow that year.