PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in the rain: me, the bow or arrows?

Stéphane
01-29-2011, 09:22 AM
I was shooting the rain this morning and after about 30 minutes, my arrows started to drop significantly. My hands were really cold and I wonder what caused that.

2010 Martin Bengal 60# with release
Gold Tip Hunter Expedition with plastic vanes.

polaris754
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
just takein a guess i would say the arrows and the bow iced up and got heavier , i bet even the string was affected , :eek:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
:eek:Arrows with cold water flying fast, probably were freezing up. Wipe the bow down and wax the string then burnish the wax in the string. And call it a day.

HUTCH:cool:

SonnyThomas
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I was shooting the rain this morning and after about 30 minutes, my arrows started to drop significantly.
My hands were really cold and I wonder what caused that.

No doubt it was due to the atmospherical conditions at your geological location. :D

Stéphane
02-06-2011, 08:49 AM
It happened again today. But it wasn't cold. So I went home check the FOC. It moved towards the rear making my arrows with 1% less foc. Now, I am going to assume they got heavier too.

Am I really the only one with this issue?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
It happened again today. But it wasn't cold. So I went home check the FOC. It moved towards the rear making my arrows with 1% less foc. Now, I am going to assume they got heavier too.

Am I really the only one with this issue?

No you are not the only one with this issue. If you do a search you will find others have had the same problem. And you can look at their solutions.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
You can eliminate problems like this the way I do. DON'T shoot in the rain!!!!!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
But less than 1% seems odd. What gr. field tips are you using. How long are your arrows. Also remember broad heads change the center of balance. Field tips are a different balance point. Some use heavier b/h's and field points. Or special washers that add weight.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm with Hutch. The FOC shouldn't change that much. The only way I would expect any significant change in FOC is if you were using 4" feathers and they got soaking wet and/or iced up. The only other logical thing would be a lot of water in the string if it wasn't kept waxed up.

On the other hand if you are using a drop away rest maybe it was icing up and not raising all the way.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm with Hutch. The FOC shouldn't change that much. The only way I would expect any significant change in FOC is if you were using 4" feathers and they got soaking wet and/or iced up. The only other logical thing would be a lot of water in the string if it wasn't kept waxed up.

On the other hand if you are using a drop away rest maybe it was icing up and not raising all the way.

Barry has a lot of good points here. Every factor, every spec has to be consistent. Shooting form has to be consistent. Which I am not saying you are not shooting consistent. But check out every factor. What we do here is start with the bow. We make sure every spec is correct. Then we check all the mechanics. Then we check the arrows. My son went through his bow trying to find a problem. And found it was mainly the arrows. He went through the arrows and fixed the problems and now he is back in business. So what I would do is eliminate every factor. Go through every thing and eliminate each thing so it won't be a factor.

Hutch