PDA

View Full Version : silencer bow

rock
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
any one shoot this looks nice light fast i was looking real hard at a z28 but then i came across the specs on the silencer would like to hear more about them. i have a alien z my buddie is buying off me so im in the market for another bow

kylecurtis04
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I got a silencer about a week and a half ago and love it. It is light, fast, accurate, smooth and has hardly any vibration with nothing on it. This is a bow that is flying under the radar for some reason. The TRG and SOS are really cool innovations and work great! You would not be disappointed if you bought the bow. For the price tag on it, you get a lot of bow for what you pay. It is just an unbelievable bow from top to bottom.

rock
01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
hows the draw cycle, is it like the hybrix like the alien line. why dont they prmote this bow more its a hunters dream from the specs. how the grip i was looking at the alien x to but i dont care for the grip

kylecurtis04
01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
The draw cycle is smooth and it has a real solid back wall. As far as the grip, I like it a lot. it is comfortable in the hand and has a nice feel to it. Not to sure why you don't hear all that much about this bow. To tell you the truth, it seems as though all martin bows fly under the radar and dont get the recognition they deserve. Everyone gets caught up in the "popular" names such as mathews, hoyt, bowtech and such. But martin has the best customer service on the market. You should find a dealer near you and shoot the silencer. If they dont have the silencer, then shoot the firecat 400 because they are the exact same bow except for the claw deals on the riser.

elkslayer4x5
01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
The draw cycle is smooth and it has a real solid back wall. As far as the grip, I like it a lot. it is comfortable in the hand and has a nice feel to it. Not to sure why you don't hear all that much about this bow. To tell you the truth, it seems as though all martin bows fly under the radar and dont get the recognition they deserve. Everyone gets caught up in the "popular" names such as mathews, hoyt, bowtech and such. But martin has the best customer service on the market. You should find a dealer near you and shoot the silencer. If they dont have the silencer, then shoot the firecat 400 because they are the exact same bow except for the claw deals on the riser.

Not exactly, there are a few differences, like the 1 1/4" difference in A2A or the .2 of a lb differnce is mass weight, and I'm sure there is a difference on the price tag. But pretty much the same. :D

kylecurtis04
01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Not exactly, there are a few differences, like the 1 1/4" difference in A2A or the .2 of a lb differnce is mass weight, and I'm sure there is a difference on the price tag. But pretty much the same. :D

I took my silencer into the local pro shop and hung it up right next to the FC400 and you couldn't tell the difference in the ATA at all with the naked eye. It is so minute that you might as well pull out a tape measure. Thats how identical these two bows are. And the .2lbs comes from the cat looking claws on the riser.

mudpig
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
I got this new silencer bow about a month ago. I bought it for several reasons. The bow is made in Washington where I live (support local companies). I've heard great things about their customer service, and the stats on the bow rock, especially when you factor in the price. It's amazing how flat and fast these arrows fly. I shoot 29 inch draw at 60 lbs with arrows weighing 374 grs. These things flat out move. I've got about 1000 shots thru mine now, and other than having to tighten up loose screws a couple times during the first 200 shots, I've had no issues. The draw is very smooth and is quiet as well. I've been shooting along side guys with Mathews and G5 bows costing twice what mine did, and am not at any disadvantage. VERY GOOD BOW!!

rock
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
mud have you checked the speed yet you should be right around 290 fps

mudpig
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
I have not yet. I just dug out the croney to take to the range for rifle work. I will shoot a couple of arrows over it in the back yard tonight and let you know.

mudpig
01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Just got done with the croney..... And the answer is...... Out of twenty shots recorded I had a low of 185 and high of 194. I was expecting a little more like 300 to 310. How did you come up with your estimate rock? Still extremely happy with my new Silencer.

mudpig
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
My bad!!!! Numbers should have been 285 to 294. Average = 290

kylecurtis04
01-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Just got done with the croney..... And the answer is...... Out of twenty shots recorded I had a low of 185 and high of 194. I was expecting a little more like 300 to 310. How did you come up with your estimate rock? Still extremely happy with my new Silencer.

do you mean 285-294?

rock
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM
mud i use backcountry archery caculactor it works pretty good try it out.

Arrow Splitter
02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
mud i use backcountry archery caculactor it works pretty good try it out.

X2 It's seems to be accurate.:cool:

mudpig
02-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Just been checking their calculator out. That is a great sight, and YES...it does seem to be spot on.

rock
02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
that was at the low ibo some fine tuneing you might get 5fps faster

mudpig
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Running my Silencer over the croney again last night (in better light) and I'm coming up with a pretty solid 285. Thought this might be a little on the slow side, but who knows. Any guesses out there? Also, I got to looking. Martin shows the 60# bows to have 3M limbs, but mine are marked 3H. Any idea what difference this makes? I've got my limbs cranked all the way down and then the nut backed off 1/8 a turn from bottomed out. I've used two different scales and only come up with 55# draw weight. Is that 1/8 turn worth 5# of weight??? I wouldn't think so. What are your thoughts.

(374gr arrows, 29" draw, 20gr on string (peep, D loop, nock))

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Running my Silencer over the croney again last night (in better light) and I'm coming up with a pretty solid 285. Thought this might be a little on the slow side, but who knows. Any guesses out there? Also, I got to looking. Martin shows the 60# bows to have 3M limbs, but mine are marked 3H. Any idea what difference this makes? I've got my limbs cranked all the way down and then the nut backed off 1/8 a turn from bottomed out. I've used two different scales and only come up with 55# draw weight. Is that 1/8 turn worth 5# of weight??? I wouldn't think so. What are your thoughts.

(374gr arrows, 29" draw, 20gr on string (peep, D loop, nock))

Every full turn of top and bottom limb bolts together should be 3lbs, Thus giving you 15lbs of variance. 5 full turns out of each bolt, the bow should read 45lbs. 5 full turns in your bow should read 60lbs. The reason the bow does not reach 60lbs, is the cable needs to be twisted 5 to 7 turns or more. What is your ATA of the bow, I would think it is longer than it is suppose to be. Also if the ATA is long and you twist your cable to get it right, this will make your draw length a tad longer so you might have to twist your string.

HUTCH

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Another thing is the bow should read (max out) 63lbs. What I would do it back out the limb bolts equally till the bolt ends are seen in the barrel nuts. This should be loose enough to take the bottom end of your cable off and twist it. I would do 5 twists at first than more it necessary. At 60lbs you should see the numbers your looking for.

HUTCH:cool:

rock
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
285 at 55 # is pretty good

Spiker
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Another thing is the bow should read (max out) 63lbs. What I would do it back out the limb bolts equally till the bolt ends are seen in the barrel nuts. This should be loose enough to take the bottom end of your cable off and twist it. I would do 5 twists at first than more it necessary. At 60lbs you should see the numbers your looking for.

HUTCH:cool:

Doesn't the Silencer have Nitro cams ?

Arrow Splitter
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Yes it does.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Your right Spiker thanks for correcting me. That would mean he would have to twist both sides. Keep the timing equal.

HUTCH

mudpig
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Hutch. I looked at the specs online here and it says my Silencer is supposed to have 32" ATA. Got home tonight and measured mine. It was 32 1/4. I backed the screws out as you mentioned and then added 5 twists, then 2 more, and finally 2 more to each cable. ATA is now dead on 32". Tomorrow I'll be able to get to a scale and after work have daylight to croney it again. I appreciate your help. Thanks!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks Hutch. I looked at the specs online here and it says my Silencer is supposed to have 32" ATA. Got home tonight and measured mine. It was 32 1/4. I backed the screws out as you mentioned and then added 5 twists, then 2 more, and finally 2 more to each cable. ATA is now dead on 32". Tomorrow I'll be able to get to a scale and after work have daylight to croney it again. I appreciate your help. Thanks!!

Sorry I forgot which bow we were talking about at first. But Spiker corrected me. Also check your draw length to see if that changed.

Hutch

archerx7
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Don't forget to retime the cams after twisting the cables.

Sorry I forgot which bow we were talking about at first. But Spiker corrected me. Also check your draw length to see if that changed.

Hutch

I can guarantee his DL changed by at least 3/8" with 9 twists added in the cables.

mudpig
02-03-2011, 03:49 AM
I am pretty new to bow set up. How would one check the timing on the cams and then adjust them?

rock
02-03-2011, 05:09 AM
your timeing has to be checked at full draw. draw board i use a hook mounted to the wall so i can draw the bow and watch to make sure the cams are comeing over the same

mudpig
02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks Rock. If I discover that one cam is rolling over before the other, how would I go about adjusting that timing?

archerx7
02-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Measure in from the end of each mod 3/8" and put a mark on the edge of the cable track (be as precise as possible)so the mark can be seen as the cables roll into the mods.

If you find the top cam is advanced, put twists into the cable that connects to the outer cable post on that cam. Recheck timing and repeat as needed. if the bottom cam is advanced, put twists in the cable that connects to the outer cable post on that cam.

Timing these cams is relativley simple and once done, you shouldn't have to do it again untill you replace the string/cables.

rock
02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
google elite archery bow tuneing video they have a video cool little video that will help you.

mudpig
02-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks, I will take a look at the bow tonight and see if the cams are timed correctly. Looked at the video. Great video! Does look like the draw board would make this easier or a second person to watch the cams roll over.

rock
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
archerx7 post is right on between his post and the vid you should be good

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
mudpig I see everyone pitched in to get you on track. Hope it all goes well for you. You have a nice set up. My son is jealous. Let us know what speeds you produce when you have it all done.

Hutch:cool:

mudpig
02-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Well....I got to thinking all about the cam timing you guys mentioned so did some research and built one last night. The cam timing hadn't gotten out of wack by all the adjustment of cables. It did lengthen the draw, but still feels really comfortable although it is 1/2" long now. Haven't got it run over a croney yet, but here we are....another weekend almost upon us :)

I'll let you all know what the speeds are running and I'll try to get a pic or two of the draw board I made posted.

shani41184.1
02-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Hmm all post seems to be very in trusting and informative. keep on goning.

Spiker
02-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Hmm all post seems to be very in trusting and informative. keep on goning.

You'll be goning! :p

bfisher
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
You'll be goning! :p

I don't know about goning, but just plain gone works well.

mudpig
02-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Here's the draw board I made.

mudpig
02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
The cams are maxing out at the same time after the ATA adjustment. I have measured that the draw length has increased to 29 1/2 from 29 which is fine for me so I have not twisted the string. The weight has not been measured yet, but feels heavier. The speed was measured today and I'm getting a really repeatable 288-290. I was expecting about 300 -306 from the backcountry calculator. Anyone got more ideas as to this? I hope to get to a good scale tomorrow to confirm if I am truly at a max draw weight of 63#. Any help is greatly appreciated.

rock
02-06-2011, 06:14 AM
cam you put it in the draw board and take a pic of top cam and bottom cam about one inch from full draw. let off has to do with your speed to

bowgramp59
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
i hope you mean 284 & 295 .

mudpig
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
cam you put it in the draw board and take a pic of top cam and bottom cam about one inch from full draw. let off has to do with your speed to

:mad: I have taken some pics. I took them for both cams at 28, 28.5, 29, 29.5. These pics are on my album. See what you think Rock and let me know. Thanks!

rock
02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
nice pics mud its hard to tell in the pics at full draw i would have to see where the mods come across the cables you can be off like an 1/8 and it makes a difference

mudpig
02-06-2011, 07:11 PM

What should the cable and mod relationship look like at full draw??

rock
02-07-2011, 04:33 AM
check out archerx7 post tuneing video you can see what to look for and they explain it well

mudpig
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks Rock...I'll check it out.

Mudpig

mudpig
02-10-2011, 05:12 AM
supposed to get my new pull gauge today (FEDEX), so will be able to get the DW measured tonight and see what it is at. Also should have a chance to chroney it again tonight after I got the cables and strings set to factory specs.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
supposed to get my new pull gauge today (FEDEX), so will be able to get the DW measured tonight and see what it is at. Also should have a chance to chroney it again tonight after I got the cables and strings set to factory specs.

Now that you have the bow to specs it will shoot very well. Lets us know how it shoots.

Hutch

sqearl
02-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Its got to be faster than 185. I would guess 285 at the very least. what grain arrow are you using

Rockyhud
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Just checked out your album pics. That is a very nice looking rig. Personally I like the looks of the Silencer riser better than the Firecat - don't find the cat claw look as appealing as what the Silencer has. I know - each to their own preference but I just like what I consider cleaner lines in the Silencer.

Also, based on my 08 Firecat's performance, I believe you're bow is pretty close to how mine shoots, speed wise. Your bow and mine have pretty much the same specs (ATA, brace height, speed, etc) so to me you look to be getting good performance. From what I saw of the cable position of your cables relative to the modules at full draw it appears you have the timing set well too. It will be interesting to find out what your actual DW is once you have your scale.

When I shot 390 grain Maxima 350s I was getting very repeatable 290 fps with 29" DL and 63# DW. I now shoot these same Maxima 350 but with more weight up front for increased mass and higher FOC and get 280 fps with 452 grains and 250 fps when shooting my Gold Tip Big Game 100+ weighing 560 grains. As you'll note, there wasn't a lot of speed loss with heavier arrows but there is a notable increase in momentum gained that provides more penetration potential (presuming this is a hunting bow). The reason is there's a more efficient transfer of energy from the bow to the arrow when you're shooting heavier that minimum weight arrows. You'll also get a quieter shot from heavier arrows. Just thought I'd pass that along in case you weren't aware.

mudpig
02-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Okay fellas here goes. I got my scale in the mail and got the weight measured. It was only 58# at spec string/cable lengths. So I added twists again to the cables until I hit 63#. My draw length is at 29.5. Got the cams retimed. Also I changed out the factory center serving as it was very large and my arrow nocks were wearing a flat spot in the serving and had very high retention on the string. Plus, the factory center serving is like 10" long so I reserved it with .025 serving and only for 6" of the string. Now the arrow once snapped on the string will spin freely on the string. I also removed the brass nock above my D loop and just tied it in with about 5 wraps of .020 serving string. Dug out the chrony and my 380gr arrows and low and behold.....
300fps!!!!! I'm extremely happy with this Silencer Bow!!

Spiker
02-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Okay fellas here goes. I got my scale in the mail and got the weight measured. It was only 58# at spec string/cable lengths. So I added twists again to the cables until I hit 63#. My draw length is at 29.5. Got the cams retimed. Also I changed out the factory center serving as it was very large and my arrow nocks were wearing a flat spot in the serving and had very high retention on the string. Plus, the factory center serving is like 10" long so I reserved it with .025 serving and only for 6" of the string. Now the arrow once snapped on the string will spin freely on the string. I also removed the brass nock above my D loop and just tied it in with about 5 wraps of .020 serving string. Dug out the chrony and my 380gr arrows and low and behold.....

SWEET !!! :cool:

Arrow Splitter
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM

If I remember right, IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT!!:D:D:D:cool:

rock
02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
sweet im glad you like it. its a nice felling when you do everything your self and it comes together

mudpig
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM
It really is a sweet feeling.