PDA

View Full Version : TRG System HELP!

Searles8277
01-31-2011, 05:15 AM
Hey everyone, Does anyone else have a problem with the new TRG system? It appears to me that the TRG and the Hammerhead String are eating each other up on my new 2011 Exlie Bow. I asked the dealer to check with Martin but I am not sure if they really are or not because all I get from them is that they are waiting for a response back from Martin. I have had the Bow a couple of weeks now I first noticed it within a few days and brought it to the dealers attention. They said they would look into it.
Other than that I love the new Exile. It's light and fast! It should prove to be a great hunting bow. It shoots great as long as I do. Meaning that it isn't very forgiving of my shooting sins. I just have to get better if I want it to hit the 10 ring more often.
Also I'm still waiting for the new 2011 online catalog to be available. I want to put on the SOS system because I need to quite this thing down. It is little to loud for my taste.
HELP!

kylecurtis04
01-31-2011, 05:23 AM
you would probably have the TRG figured out faster if you called Martin customer service. How many shots have you put through it? I have around 100 through my silencer and have no problems with it.

Searles8277
01-31-2011, 06:26 AM
I probably have about 500 arrows through it. However I began to notice it after 100 shots or so. I was hoping it would just go away as it wore in but it doesn't appear to yet.

Spiker
01-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Your dealer can order you the SOS. It is part #8811.
If they wont contact Martin about the cable wear issue you can call CS and talk to them yourself. They will help you out.

Searles8277
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I contacted CS and spoke with Joel. A+ He has me covered. I should be straightened out in a few days.
The bidg question is why couldn't the dealer do that? it was pretty easy actually. Thanks!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
I contacted CS and spoke with Joel. A+ He has me covered. I should be straightened out in a few days.
The bidg question is why couldn't the dealer do that? it was pretty easy actually. Thanks!

The dealer doesn't have as much power, then the voice of a customer.

Hutch

bowgramp59
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
what was the solution? i would like to know what the maintance is in that area, i have just been waxing the heck out of it around the trg. the only thing i noticed is wax building up on the string .

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
what was the solution?

Good question!

Hutch

Ehunter
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
I ran into it on my Firecat. Looked closely, and it's not a cable problem, it's the plastic from the TRG rubbing off and sticking to the cables. Started using Bohning's "string conditioner" on that part of the cables, and that seems to have drastically cut down on the problem. That string conditioner is alot slicker than regular wax. But ONLY use it right around the TRG. Get it near a peep, D-loop, or string silencer and they'll start to move.

SonnyThomas
02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Well, R&D must not have done their job. To me the TRG looked to be a benefit, but then I said the test of time would tell. I just hope that the standard offset guide rod can be installed and work..... I dislike new stuff until proven.

archerx7
02-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Well, R&D must not have done their job. To me the TRG looked to be a benefit, but then I said the test of time would tell. I just hope that the standard offset guide rod can be installed and work..... I dislike new stuff until proven.

Sonny, Any standard 3/8 rod will fit, the offset rod does seem to be a logical choice as it would allow some adjustment. The TRG is headed in the right direction, but IMO it is set out too far, a person could darn near shoot full size uncut feathers and have no contact issues with the cables. This system would be perfect if they would use an offset rod and allowed some way to loosen the TRG on the rod so it could be adjusted when the rod is adjusted.

SonnyThomas
02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
If you study the TRG system from the riser, I'm now a little disappointed. First, that the hole is so far off center that the hole is exposed to full depth doesn't leave a "clean" looking riser. Second, I don't understand why the unit could not be adjustable throughout. Okay, you can move the SOS, but not the TRG. Third, for some 12 years and more the standard slide and guide rod has been used quite successfully and more so successfully provided a hardened offset guide rod was used.

To have a open mind, think outside the box, have ideas is great, but then there is acceptance by the public. Some ideas are really great, but need "eased" in or "hammer tested" before going full throttle.

MLN1963
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
To me it sounds like a business opportunity for someone who can make a TRG out of Delrin or Teflon.

bfisher
02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
To me it sounds like a business opportunity for someone who can make a TRG out of Delrin or Teflon.

Or a Binary X cam system. Remove the rod/slide or TRG altogether. Does Nitrous X jog any memories?

elkslayer4x5
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Or a Binary X cam system. Remove the rod/slide or TRG altogether. Does Nitrous X jog any memories?

A few. :)

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8589

Simple Life
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
So with the plastic wearing on the TRG,is it gonna need replacing faster than a set of strings?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
So with the plastic wearing on the TRG,is it gonna need replacing faster than a set of strings?

Thats what it looks like.:eek:

Hutch

kylecurtis04
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Thats what it looks like.:eek:

Hutch

I called Martin CS and talked to them about this thread and issue. I actually got to talk to Joel as well. He said that the starter of this thread didnt have the serving of the TRG right and was causing the TRG & Strings to eat each other. Also, I am sure the TRG & SOS system prototype went trough exhausting trials & I can't imagine a company like Martin would establish a new product like the TRG & SOS system if it failed after a few 100 shots. That doesnt make for good business.

SonnyThomas
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
It appears to me that the TRG and the Hammerhead String are eating each other up on my new 2011 Exlie Bow.
Other than that I love the new Exile. HELP!

[QUOTE=kylecurtis04;37904]I called Martin CS and talked to them about this thread and issue. I actually got to talk to Joel as well. He said that the starter of this thread didnt have the serving of the TRG right and was causing the TRG & Strings to eat each other. QUOTE]

Explain please.

Ehunter
02-02-2011, 03:45 AM
From what I was told by my Martin Rep, they originally were going to serve the cables where they went through the TRG, but found that it didn't work well. As far as wear on the TRG, after 1000+ shots on my Firecat, I can't see any sign of wear, other than the small amount of plastic that ends up on my cables. It's easily wiped off with a piece of old blue jean material, then I just re-slicken the cables with conditioner. No visible sign of any wear at all on the TRG system.

archerx7
02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
I called Martin CS and talked to them about this thread and issue. I actually got to talk to Joel as well. He said that the starter of this thread didnt have the serving of the TRG right and was causing the TRG & Strings to eat each other. Also, I am sure the TRG & SOS system prototype went trough exhausting trials & I can't imagine a company like Martin would establish a new product like the TRG & SOS system if it failed after a few 100 shots. That doesnt make for good business.

Makes me wonder if he didn't get a very early model that maybe had the string and cable served at the TRG...........I would like to see him get back on here and let us know if that was the problem. I have an Exile here in the shop with about 50 shots on it and no visible sign of wear on the string/cable or the TRG........

kylecurtis04
02-02-2011, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=kylecurtis04;37904]I called Martin CS and talked to them about this thread and issue. I actually got to talk to Joel as well. He said that the starter of this thread didnt have the serving of the TRG right and was causing the TRG & Strings to eat each other. QUOTE]

Explain please.
Here is what they told me.

"Hi Kyle,

The tech you spoke with mentioned "serving" material as being a culprit. The
serving is the thread material that is wrapped around the string. If you are
not experiencing string wear this is a non-issue."

SonnyThomas
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Then the serving was/is a factory issue, not the thread (post) starter.

Ehunter
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
There is no serving on my Firecat anywhere close to the TRG, so I wonder what that means for me? My understanding was, when they tried using serving on the cables going through the TRG, it ate away at the plastic, so they decided to NOT use serving there. Might have to call Martin and get a definitive answer on this.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Might have to call Martin and get a definitive answer on this.

THATS WHAT I WOULD DO!

HUTCH:cool:

Searles8277
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone. I'm back on this issue. So ... to put politely I did not serve the original string so I didn't cause the TRG wear. The string was a stock issue and the serving was definately acting like a saw blade on the TRG because of it's perpendicular orientaion to the TRG slide. I went to my local shop and we fixed that issue temporarily until the new TRG and string come from Martin. But wait the plot thickens. After backing off the serving I visually checked the string and as I was pulling it back I noticed to my horror that the bus cable was nearly 2/3 chewed through by the inside slide of the TRG! I called Joel sent him a picture and he is sending out a new bus cable as well. After all of this I can't help but wonder if maybe this whole new TRG/SOS system is a good idea. The system on my Bengel was fine. Roller guides and an STS were proven to be great. I can't help but wonder if this was just a fluke because I have one of the first bows? Was there a QC problem with the TRG that I happened to get? I am worried at this point. The saga continues

MLN1963
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
And the plot thickens.

archerx7
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone. I'm back on this issue. So ... to put politely I did not serve the original string so I didn't cause the TRG wear. The string was a stock issue and the serving was definately acting like a saw blade on the TRG because of it's perpendicular orientaion to the TRG slide. I went to my local shop and we fixed that issue temporarily until the new TRG and string come from Martin. But wait the plot thickens. After backing off the serving I visually checked the string and as I was pulling it back I noticed to my horror that the bus cable was nearly 2/3 chewed through by the inside slide of the TRG! I called Joel sent him a picture and he is sending out a new bus cable as well. After all of this I can't help but wonder if maybe this whole new TRG/SOS system is a good idea. The system on my Bengel was fine. Roller guides and an STS were proven to be great. I can't help but wonder if this was just a fluke because I have one of the first bows? Was there a QC problem with the TRG that I happened to get? I am worried at this point. The saga continues

So, what you are saying is that the original factory string/cable came from the factory served at the TRG ? If so, then that would be what caused the initial problem with your TRG and strings, it would be the same if the bow had a rod and slide and the cables,string were served where they run through the slide, it would produce a very rapid death to the slide.

The string and cables on the Exile here in the shop are not served at the TRG although the idler serving on the string does come down almost to the TRG, it does not touch it.

I think once you get the string, cable and TRG are replaced you should be good to go. I would reccomend keeping the string/cable waxed on a regular basis at least where it runs through the TRG.

Searles8277
02-03-2011, 04:41 AM
I appriciate the help. Yes the serving was all the way down the string to the TRG and it was killing it. I kept it well waxed all along but that didn't make a difference. Why would it right? My giant concern now is the bus cable. There was no serving in that equation. What caused it to fray so badly? I'm extremely worried that this problem wont go away. If you want pictures send me an email and I will send them out. I seem to be having problems trying to attach them to this post. msearles@gcontrol.net Once again thanks for trying to help.

archerx7
02-03-2011, 06:02 AM
I appriciate the help. Yes the serving was all the way down the string to the TRG and it was killing it. I kept it well waxed all along but that didn't make a difference. Why would it right? My giant concern now is the bus cable. There was no serving in that equation. What caused it to fray so badly? I'm extremely worried that this problem wont go away. If you want pictures send me an email and I will send them out. I seem to be having problems trying to attach them to this post. msearles@gcontrol.net Once again thanks for trying to help.

The Exile here in the shop has appox. 100 shots on it and there is no sign of string/cable wear or wear on the TRG.

How are the string/cable routed through the TRG? This one has the cable going to the inside part and the string going through the outside (open) part of the TRG.

Searles8277
02-03-2011, 07:45 AM
The bus cable goes through the inside and the string on the outside. same same.

archerx7
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Just looked at the pics you emailed, the string/cable are routed correctly, however, it looks like the TRG is slid forward too far causing the cable/string to ride against the stop at the end of the TRG throughout a good portion of the drawcycle.

The string/cable should be resting almost against the front stop on the TRG at brace and just barely make contact with the rear stop at full draw. I hope they sent you both a string and cable as both look to need replacing along with the TRG.

Searles8277
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
The dealer did that to put less pressure on the TRG after we noticed the problem beginning. He thought that was the problem originally. Moving it forward slowed down the wear problem but obviously wasn't the solution.

Searles8277
02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh and by the way ....yes they are sending a new TRG, String, and Cable.

archerx7
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
My suggestion would be to install the new parts, set the TRG to its factory spot and shoot the bow making sure to keep the string/cable waxed at the areas where they make contact with the TRG and see what happens.
I think there may have been several issues that combined to create your problem.
The initial serving contact probably caused a rough surface area on the TRG and possably when the dealer moved the TRG hoping to lessen the problem he put the cable into contact with a rough spot that was hidden at the end inside the TRG.:confused:

The only issue I've seen so far with the TRG was on an Onza and it was self inflicted, I tried using cameze liquid on the contact areas of the cables and it actually sped up the wear instead of stopping it.
The new cables I built are holding up really well with just routine waxing, no signs of wear with 100+ shots so far.:)