PDA

View Full Version : Silencer in my future?

Brem
02-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Well my dealer ordered two Silencers into stock and I have a nice offer on my AX when it gets back from Walla Walla with new cams. Anybody want to put up some pros and cons for me to get rid of my sweet 2010 AX for a 2011 Silencer?

ATA
31.5" vs 32"

BH
both 7"

IBO
330-340 vs 335-345

Year
2010 vs 2011

Limbs
Barnsdales vs Powertough

Strings
both Hammerhead

Suppression
CCS and STS vs SOS and TRG

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't make that decision till I got my AX back and shot it for a while. Also 2011's haven't been out long enough. Not to say they are problem child's. Just to say wait and see. But thats me talking. Besides that AX is a nice bow.

Hutch

rock
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
i think they will be close the grip would be the big thing the new grip is pretty nice i shot a onza the other day .

Brem
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
no doubt. I absolutely love the X, fast accurate and and an all around bad *** bow. Am excited to see and shoot the silencer though

Spiker
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Keep the AX.!!!!
Save up some $$ and buy the other bow after it's been out awhile.
Ya can never have too many.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Not to say that silencer wouldn't make me want one. But sounds like your got the new bow bug. You know once you shoot it, it is all over.;)

Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Keep the AX.!!!!
Save up some $$ and buy the other bow after it's been out awhile.
Ya can never have too many.

He's right two bows are better than one. Ask Spiker he has many.:D

Hutch

archerx7
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Speaking from experience.......Don't sell the X !

The X will hit IBO, thats been proven, I think the Silencer will end up just below the X in speed.

The Barnsdales are proven limbs, seen one X survive 2 dryfires, the cams and strings needed replaced, the limbs were still good.

I think the Power Tuff limbs will be a good solid limb and should prove to be durable, but we already know the barnys are good.

Nothing wrong with the TRG/SOS, but I still prefer the ccs,sts from last year.

Save your change and get the Silencer later on, always nice to have a backup bow setup and ready to go just incase.

Brem
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I absolutely agree that the X will hit IBO, as you can see by my signature that my "adjusted" IBO is right on list for the high end of the AX. my Firecats were close but never got there. I'll also take Barnsdales laminates over anyones solid limb. Want to shoot the Silencer with the TRG/SOS so the verdict is still out on that. And I DOOOO need a second bow seeing as I am down for the second time due to cams.

bfisher
02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Not saying the Power Tuff limbs aren't good. They haven't been out long enough to draw and conclusions, but considering the specs are almost identical I'd choose the one with Barnesdale limbs. Then again, you might be able to swap the limbs from bow to bow and have a Frankenbow.

kylecurtis04
02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
If you look at the martin website, it says that the A2A is approximate. So today I measured my Silencer and found that the A2A is 32" dead on. Just thought you would like to know that.

rock
02-04-2011, 04:33 AM
sound like fun bfisher i might have to look for a used model as a project bow.this is the best looking riser i have seen in a while

mudpig
02-04-2011, 06:07 AM
If you look at the Martin Tech area under 2011 specs it shows that the ATA for the Silencer is 32. I measured mine and it was 32 1/4. Once I got about 9 twists into the cables, I'm finally down to 32. The bow pretty quiet. As the shooter, it sounds a little loud, but my buddy shooting next to me noted that he thought it was very quiet. I haven't gotten a speed reading or weight of draw on it since changing the ATA, as last night I was building a draw board to make sure I didn't screw up the cam timing. Once I get a reading on these I'll get it posted. Very happy with the Silencer, but then I haven't shot the X.

Just as a starting reference, Measured speed was 285fps with 55#, 29" 380gr.

Ehunter
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Brem, I haven't shot an Alien X in a year or so. I did shoot a Silencer about 2 months ago. The only difference between the Silencer, and your old Firecat in the way they feel is a little less shock, and the new narrower grip. Personally, I like the old grip better. It just fit my hands more comfortably. The new grip is closer to what I remember the AX being. That being said, I don't think you'd be trading up to go to a Silencer. All personal preference though. If nothing else, it gives you a reason to go shoot a Silencer. lol