PDA

View Full Version : 08 MOAB speed

dan476
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

I have 08 moab and have approximately 65lb draw, I am using peep sight and 400gr arrows. I am not tall, at 5'6" my draw length is just over 26". I am set up on 2nd module with draw stop adjusted for my draw lenght, my arrow speed is at 230fps. I am not able to crank my bow anymore since i have shoulder problems, but i would like to be able to shoot somewhat faster. Is there anything i can do to increase speed? (without buying new bow, i really like this one heh).

bfisher
02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Some things are fairly easy to figure. Clean off the string. Shorten the center serving to 4" or less. Attach only a Fletcher True Peep and a loop (if you use one). Get different arrows and keep their weight to a minimum for your draw weight---325 grains.

If you want to really push the limit then Google "AMO Minimum Arrow Weight Chart" and follow the recommendations on their. According to that chart you could concievably shoot a 227 grain arrow. Dropping that much arrow weight you could increase speed by about 70 fps.

I know people are going to rant and caution against shooting less than 5 gr/lb, but this is calculated at much longer draw lengths----29" or 30". With your draw being shorter your bow does not store as much energy so there is less energy (vibration) being left in the bow at the shot. Of course this in an ideal world.

For example, although I don't do this all the time, I've shot 209 grain arrows out of my Alien Z at 50#, 26.5"draw and it shot 296 fps. Compare this with the numbers on the chart and you'll see that there is less energy left in the bow than somebody shooting a 350 grain arrow at 70# and 30" draw, which is the criteria used to obtain IBO speed figures.

OK, let the arguments begin.

alex
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I guess Bfisher is right, but please keep in mind that he gets a free bow every year ;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM
gets a free bow every year ;)

Thats just not right:eek:

HUTCH:cool:

Arrow Splitter
02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
please keep in mind that he gets a free bow every year ;)

I'm jealous.lol:D

alex
02-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Well, may be someday when we have 30+ years in archery and have helped thousands of archers ... and have 3600 posts in the forum Martin will give us a little something :)

Money Man
02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
That is a just reward for helping rid our world of spam.

dan476
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you BFisher. What would be the minimum arrow weight i can use for big game?

bfisher
02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you BFisher. What would be the minimum arrow weight i can use for big game?

It would depend on what your definition of "big game" is. For me that would be critters like elk, or moose. Might even include black bears over 300# in that catagory. It sure doesn't include deer sized game. I have routinely hunted deer with setups producing 39# of energy. That was a 61# bow propelling a 315gr arrow at 237 fps. Arrows zipped right through deer like a hot knife through butter.

So answering your question, I would recommend staying at the 5gr/lb limit. This should give enough momentum to be ethical for deer sized game while giving a nice balance between speed and a quiet bow. OR---just go with the setup you have. I shot a lot of bows over the years that shot a lot slower than 230fps. If you're an average hardwoods hunter then distances most times won't exceed 25 yards and this just isn't far enough to make much of a difference when thinking of trajectory.