PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Perfect Hunting Bow With Martin Parts?

MLN1963
02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I have noticed that a lot of the guys on this website have used parts from different bows to build what they want, not what is offered. I think that is pretty cool as I am a tinkerer at heart, just not with bows (yet). I though that it might be fun to see what concoctions you guys come up with.

What is your idea of the perfect Martin hunting bow using off the shelf parts from Martin bows past and present? Is should be interesting to see what Frankenbows are built.

copterdoc
02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
It depends on your draw length and what type of shooting you do.

The Nitrous-X cam is and was, the best performing cam Martin ever made. My favorite set-up for hunting, with a 28" DL, is a Bullet-X riser, 14" limbs and Nitrous B cams.

It has a 34" ATA, a 7.25" BH, and IBO's at 325 to 330.

Going with a more traditional limb angle, you gain power stroke, because the limb movement adds about 1" to the DL.

So, a Slayer, Cougar, or Triad riser, will have a shorter BH at the same DL, and will IBO about 10 F.P.S. faster. They will also be more resistant to torquing the grip, but will be louder and suffer from "hand shock".

bfisher
02-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Mine would be a little more traditional. A fairly straight riser such as the Scepter. 14" Barnesdale limbs, and certainly a set of B Nitrous X cams with 65% mini-mods.

Hey Doc, you've played around. What would the shortest draw length be on this critter?

copterdoc
02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
....What would the shortest draw length be on this critter?
About 27" with B cams.

copterdoc
02-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Use the string/cable specs from the 2004 charts for the Slayer.

You will end up with a 37.75" ATA, and an 8" BH.

DL range will be 26.75" to 29.75".

rmercado
02-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Mine would be a little more traditional. A fairly straight riser such as the Scepter. 14" Barnesdale limbs, and certainly a set of B Nitrous X cams with 65% mini-mods.

Hey Doc, you've played around. What would the shortest draw length be on this critter?

What would this Scepter configuration give you over a Slayer with 14" limbs and B cams?

bfisher
02-06-2011, 06:01 AM
What would this Scepter configuration give you over a Slayer with 14" limbs and B cams?

Straighter, less reflexed riser for increased accuracy.

copterdoc
02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
An extra 1.75" of BH, and a natural back weighted balance, to accommodate a long front stabilizer.

elkslayer4x5
02-06-2011, 08:17 AM

using the B cams with mini-modules...your DL range will be 23" to 26"

This is from an ArcheryTalk post copterdoc linked to a while back. :)

elkslayer4x5
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
What is your idea of the perfect Martin hunting bow using off the shelf parts from Martin bows past and present?

I think Martin already built that bow, in 2006, and called it Slayer! :D