PDA

View Full Version : tuning again and having issues with center shot

BAhuntinPa
02-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Hey guys bought a drop zone for my saber and paper tuned. I have bullet holes from 3-15 yards but the rest is set way to the right the fletching almost hits the front of the riser when shot. Is there anything that could cause my bow to tune so far to the right? Can a single cam bow be out of time and could that be it? I am pulling my hair out cause there is definatly something wrong. I forgot to mention its a 2010 saber 70#limbs and29 in draw. I shoot carbon express mayhem hunter 350 with 100 gr tips. Thanks in advance for your input.

Braden

archerx7
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Check your idler lean and try making some adjustments to the yoke.

BAhuntinPa
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
My idler is cocked pretty far. (top is left) If I adjust the yoke should that straighten it out?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
My idler is cocked pretty far. (top is left) If I adjust the yoke should that straighten it out?

Yes it will. After adjusting it make sure the ATA is right on both sides.

Hutch:cool:

BAhuntinPa
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Ill try that tonight

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
If you need any help in how to do it just ask. If you already understand I hope it goes well for you.

HUTCH:cool:

BAhuntinPa
02-10-2011, 04:28 AM
I tuned in the yoke so the idler is square last night. Tried it out this mornin and still shootin bullet holes at 5-15yards with the rest in the same position. without even checking the actuall measurment I'd say its about 3/4 in too far right. Any other ideas?

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 04:51 AM
I tuned in the yoke so the idler is square last night. Tried it out this mornin and still shootin bullet holes at 5-15yards with the rest in the same position. without even checking the actuall measurment I'd say its about 3/4 in too far right. Any other ideas?

I'd say that the sight is too far too the right, so that's why the bow shoots accurately with rest off center. Remember when you move the sight, it's opposite the way you think. If you move it to the right, the arrow hits farther left, and if you move it to the left, the arrow hits farther to the right.

archerx7
02-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Have someone else shoot the bow through paper, you may be putting a little bit of tourqe in the grip. Also, if you have access to any other shafts or different weight points, try those as it could be a spine or shaft issue as well. Have you checked for vane contact with the rest ?

BAhuntinPa
02-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Checked vane clearance and used differnt spines. I think i might be torquing the bow

SonnyThomas
02-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Bows can do funny things. I've had the nocking point so low that the cock vane was getting deformed from hitting the rest and all while shooting bullet holes through paper. Next for brain burning, I've seen rests off badly and when shooting through paper a bullet hole came at longer distance, but then the arrow does correct itself. Even of the best tuned bows the arrow can be on it's worst behavior around 10 to 12 yards. Okay, it happens for no reason.

Bow timed and all, I want the arrow coming out of the bow a little tail high. This way I know the arrow is basically coming out of the bow cleanly, no rest contact. I then set center shot back to the power stroke of the string.

Eye ball/align the string to the groove of the upper cam or wheel and see where the arrow is. If off, move rest so arrow aligns with the string aligned to the groove of the cam or wheel. Just like any center shot procedure this is a starting point.

Weird things still can take place. Aggravated to no end I have set center shot using a chronograph. Here, you look for the highest fps. Once found I go a bit farther with the rest to see if fps drops - you have so much of a span (little) where the highest fps will be recorded, so find the happy medium.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
I think i might be torquing the bow

The number 1 problem with shooters! Torquing the bow!:eek: But as archerx7 says let some one else shoot it, it really will show you where the bow is at.

gibson 787
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
The number 1 problem with shooters! Torquing the bow! But as archerx7 says let some one else shoot it, it really will show you where the bow is at.

Very likely the problem or anchor. If it's possible to take a pic of you at fulll draw from side and rear shot, maybe something may come to light with your form. Have you had any coaching from a pro?

BAhuntinPa
02-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Never had any coaching did alot of reading online. First time I shot a compound bow was last fall. I wanted to extend my huntin season so decided to buy a bow and I really like it I don't know anyone that shoots alot but im coming along and am always looking for pointers. Ill try and post some pics tomorrow if I can get someone to take them. Thanks everyone.

archerx7
02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Just remember, you don't want to actually grip the grip, your bow hand should be relaxed. When you get to full draw, try to relax your bow hand, don't wrap your fingers tightly around the grip. If you don't have a wrist sling, get one installed so you don't have to worry about dropping the bow at the shot.

BAhuntinPa
02-11-2011, 04:16 AM
I changed my bow hand grip and boy did that ever help thanks guys. I have to remember that for the future. I just built a custom grip and it must have made me change something in my grip.

rock
02-11-2011, 04:29 AM
papper tuneing will drive you crazy if i papper tune just to make sure at 6 to 10' then i french tune or walk back tune just what works for me imo papper is just to get you close

SonnyThomas
02-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Do a search here. I think I had some pics of hand to riser. Found it - http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8303

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Here is another link for hand grip
http://www.bowtube.com/media/6/Get_A_Grip/