PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Jaguar Magnum 2006

mvparkman
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm wondering about this bow that I'm looking at (first bow, new hunter).

He's posted the sticker specs in the ad and it lists "wt: 35-50#" Does this mean the limbs are only good for 50lbs? Everything I've read about this bow says max wt is 70. Am I missing something?

see the ad here:
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/spo/2198388235.html

Much thanks from a new guy

alex
02-10-2011, 01:32 PM
This is a 50# bow, it can go some pounds up, but more then 2-3 ain't safe i think. If you'll use it for hunting it can kill a deer, but i wouldn't use it against a bigger animal. If you want it just for recreational shooting it's great.

mvparkman
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Are there 70# limbs?

Would probably be hog hunting more than deer.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
There are Jaguars with 70lb limbs, as a matter of fact I own one, and it shoots great.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
"wt: 35-50#" Does this mean the limbs are only good for 50lbs.?

Much thanks from a new guy

This means that the bow can be adjusted from 35 to 50 lbs. Mine can be adjusted from 55 to 70 lbs.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah, Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.:)
I almost forgot that.:o

alex
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Buying new limbs for this bow will be more expensive then buying another bow. I don't know if there are still proper limbs sold for this model. If not you'll have to buy limbs, cams, etc. - i guess at least about 250$. If you really want a 70# bow you'd better keep on searching. By the way if you're an absolute beginner 70 pounds limbs aren't the best choice.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Buying new limbs for this bow will be more expensive then buying another bow. I don't know if there are still proper limbs sold for this model. If not you'll have to buy limbs, cams, etc. - i guess at least about 250$. If you really want a 70# bow you'd better keep on searching. By the way if you're an absolute beginner 70 pounds limbs aren't the best choice.

Yeah, I don't believe that Martin still has the limbs in stock, and yes it will be very pricey to purchase limbs, cams, etc.

mvparkman
02-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Can I responsibly (skill not withstanding) hunt hog with this bow and not worry about it not being able to kill.

I owned, briefly, a Bear TRX that was a 55-70 (never got to hunt with it. long story) and was able to shoot that one fairly well at minimum #. With this one maxed out, is it reasonable to hunt with and is $200 for the whole thing a decent enough deal?
I've heard Ted Nugent say that 50# will kill anything in North America. True statement or exaggerated Nug-ism?
Thanks for all the input, ya'll.

Arrow Splitter
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Can I responsibly (skill not withstanding) hunt hog with this bow and not worry about it not being able to kill.

and is $200 for the whole thing a decent enough deal?

I've heard Ted Nugent say that 50# will kill anything in North America. True statement or exaggerated Nug-ism?
Thanks for all the input, ya'll.

Yes, I don't think there will be a problem.

OH YEAH!!:cool::cool:

I think he's right on.

elkslayer4x5
02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Remember that almost all archery seasons where set before the compound bow hit the archery scene, long bows and recurves did the work, and harvested every thing on the north american continent. None of those bow had the speed and energy of a 50# coupound! Uncle Ted is correct, ever seen what his wife shoots? Shemane takes African plains game with a 40# Leopard ( think that its a leopard, know that its 40 #'s ) :)

elkslayer4x5
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
And if you want heavier limbs, check out the classified ads on ArcheryTalk, they'll run about $40-60 a set. :D

mvparkman
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Well, I brought her home today. Overall in VERY good shape. Now to pick up a target and get to work.

I know someone who lives on acreage that backs up to federally owned preserve land and the hogs have been crossing his fence a lot. Once I get some target time and pay my taxes...........

Yeah, I've seen Shemane take big game with her 40# bow. I believe I even saw one that was a pass-through shot. It's all about accuracy, right?

Thanks for all the info, folks. I'm sure I'll be hanging around here as time goes by.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Congrats on the bow!! Now let the fun begin.:D:D

Hutch