PDA

View Full Version : Microfissures in lamination, cause for concern?

Apollo1974
02-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Good day fellow archers,

I went shooting a few weeks ago and notices small fissures in the bottom limb of my Hunter Recurve when I returned. Mind you the temperature outside was -10C (14F) outside, but I imagine the bow can handle the cold. There is no de-lamination of the fiberglass to the wood.

Size of area affected is about 1/2" X 1/2".

Any input would be appreciated, Thank you
Stephen

alex
02-12-2011, 06:24 AM
As far as i could see from the pics it's not something you should worry about. If it becomes worse you can go to your dealer or call Martin customer service.

Apollo1974
02-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks Alex, I was thinking the same. I've shot after and the micro-fissures stay the same, no change in size or appearance.

alex
02-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Most likely it's only in the finish. If you're good at working with wood you can polish it and refinish the area (i can't say what Martin uses - some kind of varnish, but don't know what exactly). I'd leave it as it is now. Good luck!

SonnyThomas
02-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Saw this post for some time and never got around to replying. My old Fred Bear recurve had micro stuff from one end to the other and never once did I have a problem. Sold the bow sometime back and the guy is still shooting it.