PDA

View Full Version : Which Bow?

PaLuke
02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and need help picking out a bow and finding a local dealer. I now shoot a Hoyt 737 and I'm thinking about a Onza 3. Does anyone have one of these bows and what are your opinions on it. I live in South Eastern Pa. And can't find a dealer with Martins in stock. I checked the dealer list on the site and no one seems to carry a selection of Martins. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks for the replies. PaLuke

SonnyThomas
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi there, PaLuke. See link below. Long time Hoyt lover here, but never could come to love the 737. Everyone said it was the older UltraTec, but ain't no way, not after I've owned 11 of them from 2000 forward.

Onza 3 is a surpriser. It's listed under the Gold series, but every bit a Pro series bow.

Keep a eye open here and someone will find you a dealer.

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8271

rock
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
paluke i dont think you could go wrong with the onza it shoots nice i really liked it just not the looks of it, but it shoots smooth

Spiker
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Not sure how far this is from you but Jim will sure help you out.
Advantage Archery 330-407-3374.

bfisher
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and need help picking out a bow and finding a local dealer. I now shoot a Hoyt 737 and I'm thinking about a Onza 3. Does anyone have one of these bows and what are your opinions on it. I live in South Eastern Pa. And can't find a dealer with Martins in stock. I checked the dealer list on the site and no one seems to carry a selection of Martins. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks for the replies. PaLuke

Let me know where you live and I'll contact my sales rep to find a dealer near you.

PaLuke
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the replies, I want to shoot one of the Martins and must admit I've never shot one. It seems nobody really shoots them around here. It's either Hoyt's , Bowtech or Mathews. Everything I've read about the Martins is always positive so this is what spurred the interest. I live in Schuylkill county and would appreciate pointing me in the right direction to a dealer. Do a lot of people shoot Martins where you live? Thanks for the replies.
PaLuke

elkslayer4x5
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Well , lets put it this way, a lot of guy on this board shoot Martins! :D

Arrow Splitter
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Yeah, it probably has something to do with the name of this forum.:D:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
It seems nobody really shoots them around here. It's either Hoyt's , Bowtech or Mathews. PaLuke

They don't know what they are missing. In fact its all about fad's and money. Martin bows are not as expensive but the are as good if not better. I have owned only martin and have many others come through the shop. And I am still not impressed. That is why we are a martin family.

Hutch:cool:

RLW
02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
....... It seems nobody really shoots them around here. It's either Hoyt's , Bowtech or Mathews.......
Generally same bows in my area, probably more of the Diamond bows than actual Bowtech labeled. Also see a couple Elite Bows around.

.......Do a lot of people shoot Martins where you live?.....
No.
I was at a 3D bowshoot last month, with another 150-160 people and appeared I had the only Martin bow in the place.
Last year at the 5 or so 3D shoots I went to, I remember seeing two others with Martins.

Used to be more around here, but the dealer I went to for bows is long gone and the one shop in town that was most recently listed as a Pro Series dealer apparently isn't anymore or at least rarely has a Martin bow

PaLuke
02-15-2011, 01:11 PM
It's the same here. I go the 3-D shoots and shoot indoor and very rarely do I see a Martin. I probably see more traditional Martins. I guess Hutch said it best about being a fad and money thing and believe me I was also caught up in the hype. Not knocking my Hoyt but $850.00 is getting out of hand for a bow. Thanks again for the replies.
PaLuke

SonnyThomas
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM

We do? I thought my Shadowcat was made by AMF VOIT. :D

That ought bring back memories for bf.

bfisher
02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I might have a memory of such a brand. Not changing the subject but my first scuba regulator was a Voit Trieste. I bought it used in 1969 when I started diving. The bows I recall coming along about ten years later. Voit used to be like Escalade. Had their hands in everything.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
And I thought a shadowcat was a motorcycle my neighbor owned.:rolleyes:

SonnyThomas
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
And I thought a shadowcat was a motorcycle my neighbor owned.:rolleyes:

Not changing the subject either. Dang, Hutch, get it right. Vincent Black Shadow. Noted for being one wonderfully nasty motorcyle. Then in 1969 Kawaski came out the 3 lunger 500 - most horsepower per weight motorcycle built at the time. Later, the 3 lunger 750 did not take from the awesome 500, but then the cry for de-horsepowering the 500 came. :(
Then Yamaha came out with the 4 cylinder. Oddly, Kenny Roberts, Yamaha's super rider, was on the AMA Racing board and helped stop the 4 cyl from becoming a dirt track racer. (Would lay rubber from one turn to the other.) Kenny's vote with others kept all more than 2 cylinder motorcyles from the dirt track. Tis a shame....

Dang! That's what you get when you have age, too much memory....

Spiker
02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I had one of those old Kaw 500's and it was the Hyabusa of the day.
Also had an old Yamahammer 350 3cyl 2-stroke street bike that would scare the pants off ya...

Arrow Splitter
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
That's what you get when you have age, too much memory....

And all this time I thought it was the other way around.lol:D

MLN1963
02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Also had an old Yamahammer 350 3cyl 2-stroke street bike that would scare the pants off ya...

I don't remember any 3 cylinder 350 Yamahas. I remember RD 350/400s but they were twins, not triples.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Are you sure this isn't what your talking about Sonny?

MARVEL Super Hero Squad - " SHADOWCAT "

Spiker
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't remember any 3 cylinder 350 Yamahas. I remember RD 350/400s but they were twins, not triples.

Yeah yer right. I'm the opposite of Sonny - lot's of age not much memory.
It was a RD 350.

RLW
02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
.....Then in 1969 Kawaski came out the 3 lunger 500 - most horsepower per weight motorcycle built at the time........
I remember the old Mach III, only around 6.5lbs/hp and one of the few factory bikes to break the 13 sec quarter.
It was a bit too much bike for this young kid back then.
Things sure have changed since those days. My current Husky TE510 dirt bike is only 7-8hp down from that old Kawi, putting it about 5lbs/hp

Arrow Splitter
02-16-2011, 05:09 AM
The OP is really going to appreciate all of us for going WAY off topic.:D:D

SonnyThomas
02-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Yes, the RD was a 2 cylinder - I worked/rode for a Yamaha dealer for about 4 years. (Better get this back to archery) And my racers would just fly and ever so often would nail a bale of straw (groan). :D

TOMAXIMUS
02-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Lancaster Archery Supply has them. Its worth the short drive.

Spiker
02-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Not alot of Martin shooters around here either. Only two shops anywhere near that carry them. One is a garage shop, great owner, been here a long long time and was an Olympic archer back in the late 40's/50's. Not alot of people know about him or are turned off by the shop being his garage. The other Pro Series shop only carries a few new Martins, if any, and will be the first to steer you to an other brand.
The Sportsmans Warehouse in Colorado Springs carries Gold line and usually has 3 or 4 models on hand and the Dicks only ever has a couple year old models.
Actually there are quite a few people around that shoot older Martins but they just hunt, arn't really involved in the archery community and either do their own work or just shoot'em as is...

bfisher
02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
I guess I must have deleted my own post last night. Maybe I PM'd it. How about Baker's Archery Supply in Halifax. Try a call to Jeff Roe at 717-571-9872. He's the regional sales rep and certainly should know who his dealers are.

PaLuke
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called Bakers and they don't have any in stock. I'll call Jeff Roe and see what he has to say. I work sometimes at Durabond Pipe in Steelton. We did some work on their presses. Good fishing in the river there. Take care and thanks for the help. PaLuke

polaris754
02-16-2011, 02:21 PM
ok enough of the what is and what was .what ever u decide buy it and send me the bow u didnt like . i will be ok with it fer sure:rolleyes:

bfisher
02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called Bakers and they don't have any in stock. I'll call Jeff Roe and see what he has to say. I work sometimes at Durabond Pipe in Steelton. We did some work on their presses. Good fishing in the river there. Take care and thanks for the help. PaLuke

That's cool. I know Durabond well. I worked at Beth Steel for 29 years and then retired in Jan 2003 at 55 1/2 years old. The pipe mill was owned and operated by BS at the time. I filled in there a few times. I only live about two miles from there.

Fishing isn't as good as it used to be, but still beats working.

Barry