PDA

View Full Version : New bow

rpalt1
02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I just recieved my new cheetah mag 60lb.:) i just have a few questions before i start messing with it. hope someone can help. Is the letoff preset at 80% or do i have to set it? the tag on the limb says draw:mp shoot:85 split:32 this is all greek to me. My old bow was idler wheels with seperate cables and string[old hoyt super slam supreme] it was very easy to tune. this bow is a lttle intimidating at first glance but i'll get used to it lol the draw length is perfect so i just want the max letoff. thanks for the help Its been about 20 yrs since i bought a bow so i'm looking foward to shooting this one

If your not hunting your wasting time!:D

MLN1963
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome raplt1

You are doing better than me, it's over 30 years since I owned a bow and it didn't have wheels!

I haven't bought a bow yet, and it might not even be a Martin, but I like the folks here. It's got a nice feel to it and everyone is very helpful.

Spiker
02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I just recieved my new cheetah mag 60lb.:) i just have a few questions before i start messing with it. hope someone can help. Is the letoff preset at 80% or do i have to set it? the tag on the limb says draw:mp shoot:85 split:32 this is all greek to me. My old bow was idler wheels with seperate cables and string[old hoyt super slam supreme] it was very easy to tune. this bow is a lttle intimidating at first glance but i'll get used to it lol the draw length is perfect so i just want the max letoff. thanks for the help Its been about 20 yrs since i bought a bow so i'm looking foward to shooting this one

The 'Shoot' is the string length: 85"
The 'Split' is the cable length: 32"

If your draw length is perfect for you then the draw stop (peg on the bottom cam that contacts the limb at full draw) is set just right for you.
To see if you are at the full let-off - draw the bow back (with an arrow on it)
and have someone look to see if the cable comes to rest all the way at the end of the module (track that is screwed onto the cam)
If so - you are at the max letoff (80%)
Did you get the full set of modules with the bow when you bought it?

bfisher
02-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Let's start with the limb sticker.

MP means MPro cam
Shoot means "String"= 85"
Split means "Cable"=32"

The letoff is 80% when the cam rolls over and into it's valley. However, this can be altered by adjusting the draw stop to a shorter position. This keeps the cam from rolling completely into it's valley.

Check your User Manual about how to set the draw stop. If it's set too short you won't achieve all the letoff. If it's set too long you'll get the most letoff, but the cam will over rotate some and it'll feel mushy at full draw. With it set right you'll experience max letoff and a very solid back wall.

If it feels good right now then mark the position of the draw stop. Then later you can play with moving it to see what I instructed above.

SonnyThomas
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Did you get a manual? Guessing it's the single cam and not the optional cams. Draw length good as you say, it's fairly easy to set the draw stop. Maybe a bit intimidating, but really simple once you get the hang of it.

Remove rubber cap, loosen Allen bolt enough that draw stop moves easily, Have someone with you. Draw bow fully. Have your helper slide the draw stop to the limb and snug bolt. Let down. Loosen bolt and move about 1/32" away from lobe of the cam, tighten bolt and put rubber cap on draw stop. you're pretty much set to 80%.

bfisher
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
We're all saying the same thing in a different way. And it looks like I was typing while Spiker was posting.

SonnyThomas
02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
We're all saying the same thing in a different way. And it looks like I was typing while Spiker was posting.

Same here. When I started my reply only reply showing was MLN1963. Dial up for ya.....

rpalt1
02-16-2011, 07:09 PM
thks all for advice its a great help as per your instructions i've determined i'm at 80% let off thks What threw me a little is how comfortable everything felt right out of box! whoever put the bow together kudos. It did not come with a full set of cams but it"s been so long since i shot last acclimating to the anchor will fall into place i'm sure. With my old bow i'm sure i was alittle long on the draw. When i draw this one I come to full draw without over pulling and the string stops right at the corner of my lips. my old bow i was about a half an inch further back. I feels really solid when at full draw so i won't mess with it yet. I did get the manual and read it but i always like to ask to be sure thks again

bfisher
02-17-2011, 04:17 AM
thks all for advice its a great help as per your instructions i've determined i'm at 80% let off thks What threw me a little is how comfortable everything felt right out of box! whoever put the bow together kudos. It did not come with a full set of cams but it"s been so long since i shot last acclimating to the anchor will fall into place i'm sure. With my old bow i'm sure i was alittle long on the draw. When i draw this one I come to full draw without over pulling and the string stops right at the corner of my lips. my old bow i was about a half an inch further back. I feels really solid when at full draw so i won't mess with it yet. I did get the manual and read it but i always like to ask to be sure thks again

You're welcome. Never be afraid to ask around here. Usually somebody has the answer, no matter what the question entails. You should check with your dealer about the module set. In the past Martin has shipped their bows with a complete set (7). Many times dealers keep the ones you don't use so they can sell them to future customers or just have some in stock. In essence they are yours. Not that you need them, but it's nice to be able to swap out in the event you sell the bow.

Ehunter
02-17-2011, 11:26 AM
One thing noone mentioned, if you have a longer draw mod on than your actual draw length, then set the stop to your draw length, you are lessening the let-off. That's the way I set all my bows. I don't want them at 80% let-off. I am most comfortable around 60-65%. A little higher holding weight, which gives me a better feel, and a slight amount more speed.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Welcome rpalt1 and congrats on the bow!

Hutch:cool: