PDA

View Full Version : arrow selection

rpalt1
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
i'm goofing off at work and want to run something up a flagpole and see if it flies lol:D With help of a co-worker measuring to the front of the riser i get 28 1/2 inches so i'll use 29 inch arrows. i'm going to go carbon and strictly shoot to go hunting. I want to use 110 grain muzzy broadheads. I figure at 6gr per pound with tip i should be using 400gr arrows is this correct? oh yeah the bow is 60lbs dw

bcriner
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
i'm goofing off at work and want to run something up a flagpole and see if it flies lol:D With help of a co-worker measuring to the front of the riser i get 28 1/2 inches so i'll use 29 inch arrows. i'm going to go carbon and strictly shoot to go hunting. I want to use 110 grain muzzy broadheads. I figure at 6gr per pound with tip i should be using 400gr arrows is this correct? oh yeah the bow is 60lbs dw

Basically don't worry about the weight...just shoot whatever 400 spine arrow you like. That is what will work for this weight and length.

SonnyThomas
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Well, most might go 1 inch front of the shelf, figure gloves, but should work.

bfisher
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Or you could shoot something that pulls back almost to the rest if you are shooting any kind of capture rest. Weight of the arrow is not an issue for you. Almost any arrow with a 400 spine will be sufficiently heavy enough.

rpalt1
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
i looked at beamen bone collectors they seem to have a good price on them at cabelas. Thier chart shows me using the 400's. Any experience with beamen?

bfisher
02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Beman are good arrows. Made by Easton. You have to start somewhere. And a 400 spine is what I'd recommend for now.

MLN1963
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
i looked at beamen bone collectors they seem to have a good price on them at cabelas. Thier chart shows me using the 400's. Any experience with beamen?

Bone Collector series (in anything) is nothing more than a cool little logo and an extra $10 or more to Michael Waddell. Basically, you are paying more money for no increase in performance or value.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Nothing wrong with a cool logo of bones.

Hutch:cool:

rpalt1
02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I realize in the past few days if you want to stir up things up just ask about arrows lol and logos are cool lol:D

Arrow Splitter
02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
I realize in the past few days if you want to stir up things up just ask about arrows lol and logos are cool lol:D

And if you're on AT all you got to do is mention Rage Broadheads, and then RUN!:D:D

Arrow Splitter
02-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Bone Collector series (in anything) is nothing more than a cool little logo and an extra $10 or more to Michael Waddell. Basically, you are paying more money for no increase in performance or value.

Even though the "Bone Collector" series is cool, you do have a good point.;)

MLN1963
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM

I didn't mean to come off that way. I just didn't want you thinking you were getting something extra quality because it had the Bone Collector logo on it. I think the logo is cool myself. I wish I could come up with something really cool so I could get people to pay extra money for the MLN1963 logo. Would you like to be first? :D

RLW
02-18-2011, 05:37 AM
i looked at beamen bone collectors they seem to have a good price on them at Cabela's. Thier chart shows me using the 400's. Any experience with beamen?
I've used Beman ICS Hunter carbon arrows for about 15yrs now...matter of fact, have a few that have survived my field/hunting abuse for at least 10yrs.

The Bone Collector series is smaller diameter, slightly heavier shaft than the standard Beman ICS Hunter

Since you're looking at Cabela's and if you want another option or want to save a few $$ for now, might check out the Cabela's Stalker Extreme 55/75 or Carbon hunter 55/75.
The Stalker Extreme is basically a Beman ICS Hunter with the Cabela's logo and standard Easton/Beman insert instead of the ViBrake the Beman ICS uses now.
Friend of mine shoots them and does well at 3D shoots, plus took a mule doe two years ago and a 5x5 bull elk last season.

The Carbon Hunter, which my son has for his bow, matches the Beman ICS Bowhunter

MLN1963
02-18-2011, 08:34 AM
I stand corrected. This is actually the first Bone Collector item that isn't just a sticker and a name change. I even called Easton/Beman and she laughed and said, yes, this one is more than a sticker change.

The BC is part of the MFX line.

rpalt1
02-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the input I went with ics hunters from beamen from this site http://www.huntersfriend.com/ it was about the best pricing i found:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
That is a good place to go, for product and info.

Hutch:cool:

bowhntr
02-22-2011, 04:46 PM
i realized you have already purchesed your arrows, but i have a comment about the bone collector arrows. i just started in archery 2 years ago and have bought several half dozens of arrows.(due to breaking or losing) i bought the bone collectors with the H.I.T. inserts last year in aug. i shot them almost every day, but if i messed up a shot or missed the target and the arrow hit the ground it almost always broke. the insert is inside the arrow (H.I.T.), so if you hit something hard it jams the tip into the shaft. i also bought the ics hunters and i could consistently put them in the ground and they wouldnt break!!! for the money i paid for the bone collectors i wasnt happy. just my 2cents

Brem
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Hey all,
Was looking at these because of this thread.

from http://www.beman.com/recall

Bone Collector Arrow Recall
During a recent quality inspection, Beman discovered that the structural integrity of a small percentage of Beman Bone Collector arrows may have been compromised. We are recalling arrows from three specific batch numbers shipped to retailers and distributors between August 5th and September 14th.

Only the arrows from these three batch numbers are affected:
Size 340 with batch number 107545200
Size 400 with batch number 107545100 and batch number 107747900.

If you've recently purchased Beman Bone Collector arrows, please click "Help me determine if my product is included in this recall" to learn how to determine if your arrows are affected by the recall and what your next steps should be.