PDA

View Full Version : trophy ridge revolution rest

HawgEnvy
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
just wondering if anyone has tried it. I think it's new this year.

bfisher
02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Not me. I've got a drawer full of droppers and have tried many more than what I have in mothballs. I've been using a blade rest (Trophy Taker) for most of the lst year and just recently pulled a Star Hunter out of mothballs. It worked well for many years and will continue to do so.

I, for one, refuse to pay exorbitant prices for a rest that is actuated with a cord tied to one of my cables. The Trapdoor was my all time favorite as it was actuated by the recoil of the bow. It was a little loud, but I'm sure somebody could have figured out how to improve that issue. Instead we just keep seeing more of the same old thing, but with different packaging.

Also I have no need of any kind of containment. The forks on the Revolution are high enough to sufficiently keep the arrow on the rest even if the bow is turned 90 degrees so why have a containment mechanism that at some point might not let go. The less moving parts the better.

HawgEnvy
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I've been using the Trophy Taker drop away since they hit the market. I've never had a problem with tuning or arrow flight. The Hostage containment rest is junk,IMO. Are you talking about the Tackdriver blade rest?

SonnyThomas
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I also have enough drop rests, both on my bows and in moth balls. I also have a Trap Door arrow rest - works great, but testing and pleasing others has it in a small padded case - within easy reach.

I was at Steve's today and looked over all the drop rests. I lost count from my brain numbing. He had some 50 makes and models from $89 and up. $100.00+ looked to take up the most of them. Exception was the NAP Apache, $60.00 and you can buy it direct from NAP. From all accounts, not counting my approval, the Apache is well worth it's price.

Note; For mass of archery tackle Steve's little shop puts the local Gander Mountain store to shame.

deerslayer82
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I am looking forward to getting mine, it is on order. Only $48 dollars from Eagle Archery online. I am using a Whisker Biscuit and hope that this thing will help tighten my groups.

HawgEnvy
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Note; For mass of archery tackle Steve's little shop puts the local Gander Mountain store to shame.

really doesn't take much to put GM to shame. Lol

whman
02-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Just to add to some of Mr. Fishers comments....I too tried a drop away on what was my new Warthog last year (from Trophy Taker), but couldn't get accustomed to the noise and movement at launch. I switched back to an old, much used and trusted, Bodoodle Timberdoodle. It holds the arrow in place even if the bow is turned almost 90 degrees from verticle and my arrows easily tuned to shaft touching shaft at 20 yards. Now I don't have to mess with attaching cords to my cables or hoping that I've got the drop away timed correctly. Maybe the drop away's are great for the right personality, but I prefer a basic, proven design. Another proven design are the prolifically available prong rests.....they work very well, too, are simple and relatively inexpensive. OK guys......flame me on this.

HawgEnvy
02-18-2011, 05:04 AM
what's there to flame? To each his own. That's why some shoot a Matthews:rolleyes: I've just had consistent arrow flight with the TT. I don't notice any noise,though. I got my last one for $20 and picking up another TT and a hindsight tomorrow for $20.

I'm jealous of you Warthog. I looked all over for one and couldn't find one. How does it shoot? How close to IBO is it?

elkslayer4x5
02-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Just to add to some of Mr. Fishers comments....I too tried a drop away on what was my new Warthog last year (from Trophy Taker), but couldn't get accustomed to the noise and movement at launch. I switched back to an old, much used and trusted, Bodoodle Timberdoodle. It holds the arrow in place even if the bow is turned almost 90 degrees from verticle and my arrows easily tuned to shaft touching shaft at 20 yards. Now I don't have to mess with attaching cords to my cables or hoping that I've got the drop away timed correctly. Maybe the drop away's are great for the right personality, but I prefer a basic, proven design. Another proven design are the prolifically available prong rests.....they work very well, too, are simple and relatively inexpensive.

Yep, nothing to go wrong.:D

MLN1963
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Has anyone tried one of these yet?