PDA

View Full Version : why is it my draw is 28.5 and my arrows are 28 w/knock

gravedigger
02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
after readin many posts and seeing people with a 28 inch draw are shootin 29+ arrows.well my draw is 28.5 and my arrows are cut down to 27.5...then add the knock im at 28 with room to spare.i have had everyhing tuned by a pro shop,they have ben around for a long time so im sure they have a good idea of what ther doing.on top of that im a hair shorter then 6 feet,with a 28.5 draw.im just pain lost.but my bow still preforms well so i wont mess with it.really im just wondering if anyone else shoots shorter arrows then ther draw???..............your local neiborhood friendly gravedigger:cool:

alex
02-18-2011, 12:20 AM
There's something called "actual DL" with the compound bows - i also am a little confused about it, but as far as i know it's about 1.75 inches shorter then the stated DL. Am i right, guys?

Montalaar
02-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Your drawlength is measured from the deepest part of the grip + 1.75". So if you buy a bow with 28.5" drawlength the distance between your nocking point and the grip is 26.75". Depending on the position of your arrow Rest you can shoot Arrows as short as 26" (that is with a slight overdraw). It is quite common to shoot arrows that are not as long as your draw is.

It can be quite nice to have an arrow that is light and the same length than your draw if you use huge broadheads that would come into contact with the shelf.

There can be even further reasons to shoot longer arrows than is needed. But that is up to you.

CarlosII
02-18-2011, 03:03 AM
for target and 3d all my arrows are shorter than my draw with the point ending up just past the rest on most of them. but that don't make it right. :)

Montalaar
02-18-2011, 04:19 AM
for target and 3d all my arrows are shorter than my draw with the point ending up just past the rest on most of them. but that don't make it right. :)

That is personal reference. I use a 32" arrow so it ends in front of the riser. Reason is that i use a stiff arrow with a high point weight. I could shorten the arrow but that would make it stiffer again and this way it is perfect.

HawgEnvy
02-18-2011, 05:14 AM
28.5 draw,27 1/8 arrows. I like mine set so when I draw with my broad heads, they're even with the riser. I do this because I hunt in clustered trees and if I'm at full draw and the deer moves, I can move and still get the shot w/o having to worry bout the BH connecting w limbs. I also use short stabilizer/sights that don't protrude past the limbs for the same reason.

Rangerj
02-18-2011, 05:19 AM
I have a 28 inch draw and I shoot 27 inch arrows.

Arrow Splitter
02-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Your drawlength is measured from the deepest part of the grip + 1.75". So if you buy a bow with 28.5" drawlength the distance between your nocking point and the grip is 26.75". Depending on the position of your arrow Rest you can shoot Arrows as short as 26" (that is with a slight overdraw). It is quite common to shoot arrows that are not as long as your draw is.

It can be quite nice to have an arrow that is light and the same length than your draw if you use huge broadheads that would come into contact with the shelf.

There can be even further reasons to shoot longer arrows than is needed. But that is up to you.

An excellent post Montalaar.:)

Spiker
02-18-2011, 06:36 AM
29"dl: 28"-28.25" arrows (depending) nock groove to end of shaft.

elkslayer4x5
02-18-2011, 07:31 AM
30.5 " draw....32" arrows..:D

NuttyNative
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
28.5 draw,27 1/8 arrows. I like mine set so when I draw with my broad heads, they're even with the riser. I do this because I hunt in clustered trees and if I'm at full draw and the deer moves, I can move and still get the shot w/o having to worry bout the BH connecting w limbs. I also use short stabilizer/sights that don't protrude past the limbs for the same reason.

I'm the same way, 30" draw & 29 1/8" arrows. The base of my broadheads are even with the riser.

gravedigger
02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
well thanks guys.it was just eating at me.the shop messuerd.i did as well and it was just killing me on why my arrows are shorter.i shoot muzzy broadheads its all perfect for me since i have not been shooting for no more then 9 months now.i just started useing stuff till i found what i like.you all answerd what i wanted to know(like allways)....your local neiborhoood friendly gravedigger