PDA

View Full Version : How many of you float your carbons to find the seam?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-19-2011, 03:50 AM
How many of you float your carbons in the tub to find the seam?

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
02-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Not me. I was just never that anal about it. Being naive I figured the arrow companies all made a good product. Just like many other things there are good, gooder, and goodest. And not all arrows are up to their advertised specs.

So now I have a trusty, home made, spine tester and that's what I use. No now I'm getting more anal about such things when I can't shoot well enough any more to tell the difference.

Still, how can I express to others that all these little details make a difference if I don't apply them to my own testing and shooting?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-19-2011, 05:32 AM
I usually just put them in the shooting machine and get them to group in the size of a 50 cent piece. But it is quicker to tub them and find the seam faster.

Hey Barry how did you make your spine tester?

bfisher
02-19-2011, 06:01 AM
How's this? Disadvantage of using a spine tester is that it doesn't show the heavy side. It just shows the stiff side, of which there are two; 180 degrees apart. But does it matter?

ElkSlayer
02-19-2011, 06:45 AM
nice tester...As per Hutch's question.. No, just started using carbon. and in fact never tested spine befor!
I was a back yard champion, a legend amoung my friends.;) I always bought a doz alum's then fire all 12 at same spot (in groups of 4) mark any flyers, that just couldn't have been me :D Just shot for fun and keep in tune for hunting.. Now once in a while I keep score :D when I think That score can be helped buy .0005 arrows with same exact spine. Then I will do that..

I ask this ...why is needed to find the seam? so one may set it 90 drg to the way the arrow bends @ shot ? I must know.:confused:...lol

polaris754
02-19-2011, 09:06 AM
hey Barry isnt that just checkin runout ? :confused:

polaris754
02-19-2011, 09:07 AM
opps didnt see it,:rolleyes: it is pulling the arrow down never mind

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
How many of you float your carbons in the tub to find the seam?

For those who don't know. Carbon arrows have a seam, and the old timers:rolleyes:
and some new timers, stick them in the tub, and float them. The seam being the heaviest part floats on bottom (at 6 o'clock). They would nock them all the same, and Fletch them the same. So the seams would all be at the bottom. Thus in theory all fly the same.

ElkSlayer
02-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh I see... now you know Hutch I will just have to look at all my carbons now. :rolleyes: thanks buddy

gibson 787
02-19-2011, 12:04 PM
stick them in the tub, and float them. The seam being the heaviest part floats on bottom (at 6 o'clock). They would nock them all the same, and Fletch them the same. So the seams would all be at the bottom. Thus in theory all fly the same.

Interesting stuff Hutch, that's a new one on me. I wonder if the olympic shooters do it?

SonnyThomas
02-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Seems some are missing the point. Floating a arrow in water is finding the heaviest side of the arrow, thus what is said to the strongest or stiffest part of the arrow.

bf's, spine tester is just that a spine tester. Weak part of the arrow and indicator gives bigger reading. This is not checking for run out.

Now, I posed this to a few knowledgeable archery notables; Stiffest part of the arrow found, which way does it go to the bow, up or down? Answer most given; Doesn't matter so long as it is aligned to the power stroke of the bow string.

Personally, I shoot my arrows. Numbered, any arrow that doesn't impact as the rest is put aside. I'll spin test them if way out they are put aside for casual plinking. I then come back with nock tune to see if it can be made to impact as the others. Here, I index the nock to the next vane and when that's done and no improvement I'll install a new nock and try again. After this and no improvement I'll refletch the arrow. Usually the arrow is corrected.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
This is how nuts and bolts explains it. It is a lot better than the way I do.
Old technique called "floating your arrows" in a tub of water.

If you spin the arrow in the water,
then general idea is that the heavy side of the arrow tube
will settle at 6-o'clock.

Presumes that the arrow tube is not truly seamless,
so the "seam" has a bit of extra thickness,
and this makes the arrow a little bit stiffer.

So,
when you rotate your nocks,
so that a different vane is at 12-o'clock,
(shoot your arrows with vane #1 at 12-o'clock)
(shoot your arrows with vane #2 at 12-o'clock)
(shoot your arrows with vane #3 at 12-o'clock)...

when you rotate your nock,
you can sometimes get your arrow to group better (closer to the x-ring),
once you have the correct vane at the 12-o'clock position.

So,
if you put the "seam" of the carbon arrow
always at say the 6-o'clock position,
then....
getting your arrows to hit the same hole
with the Hooter Shooter,
should be a quicker process.

copterdoc
02-19-2011, 07:28 PM
I used to do all that stuff. Float, spine test each shaft, rotate nocks......

When I quit shooting bows that need cable guards, I quit needing to do a lot of other things too.

SonnyThomas
02-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Shooting in spine, nock tuning. I should have mentioned that the only time I found a arrow to respond to nock tuning was with aluminum arrows.

Some one on another archery forum stated that you are to fletch Carbon Express arrows with line with the label. Well, CX doesn't state this anywhere in the paper work I have from them.
Having quite a few CXLs that have the print material wore clear off I fletch them as the fall into the rest. Accuracy is outstanding.

However, Victory does say to align the fletch to their name as they spine check their arrows. Now, if they'd just turn around the label, but I not nocking a arrow to read.... :D

SonnyThomas
02-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Whoops. Almost forgot. Some arrows don't repond well when floating. Straightness of arrow plays into floating. Maybe not much, but....

CarlosII
02-22-2011, 03:27 AM
i've read this thread and the one over on AT. being the curious sort, and someone who is always looking for ways to mover from the 5 ring to the 8 ring, i check my victory x ringers. i peeked down the shaft and sure enough you can see a seam running down it and it does line up with their label.

not sure what all this means, but i've made sure mine are now the way n&b said and i'm goin' 8 huntin'. wish me luck!

elkslayer4x5
02-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I used to do all that stuff. Float, spine test each shaft, rotate nocks......

When I quit shooting bows that need cable guards, I quit needing to do a lot of other things too.

:D:rolleyes::D

Spiker
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Now that I know arrows float I think I'll stop using old ones for garden stakes, save them up, and build an ark.

-sorry fellas - sometimes caint help it... :p

CarlosII
02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Now that I know arrows float I think I'll stop using old ones for garden stakes, save them up, and build an ark.

-sorry fellas - sometimes caint help it... :p

groan....:o

bucknuts17
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
no they dont, they have more important things to do time is to valueable, to spend wondering where the seam is come on guys shut up and shoot!

SonnyThomas
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
no they dont, they have more important things to do time is to valueable, to spend wondering where the seam is come on guys shut up and shoot!

Dang it, bucknuts, don't tell them that. That way they will be floatin' arrows and we got the range all to ourselves. :D