PDA

View Full Version : Targets

rpalt1
02-19-2011, 03:58 PM
What would be some recommendations for foam targets for practice?
My new bow is alot faster than my old one so its time to get a new one.
I'm shooting a cheetah mag set at 63lbs ics 400 hunters with 100 grain field tips

NuttyNative
02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I've had good luck with the Block and Block Fusion. Also heard & read good things on the Spyderweb target.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Spyder web targets are one of the most expensive. The blob is another, then the block. We make most of our own. For the simple reason they all were out after a while of shooting. Except the Spyder web, but at the price of them who can afford them.

Hutch

HawgEnvy
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Mckenzie shot blocker and the black hole are a couple more layered foam targets. They will wear quick and sliver badly w bh's though.

Simple Life
02-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Heard good things about Rinehart 18-1

Money Man
02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from the $20 styrofoam target wrapped in a plastic covering. I got one at Dick's because I was new and didn't know any better, and after 40 shots I had pass throughs and had to go find the arrows in the grass behind the target. They also catch a lot of wind and blow around and fall over quite a bit.

polaris754
02-20-2011, 12:18 AM
yup i agree with u there money ,them dang things arent worth the plastic garbage bag there wrapped in when u get it , its a shoot it once throw away bag i have had pretty good luck with the block and red head brands they dont last forever , and its always good to keep a old one for a back up :)

rock
02-20-2011, 04:00 AM
you could make one i made one with old cotton clothing stuffed in a box stopps my arrows at 10 feet shooting a 400gr arrow at 318fps

Rockyhud
02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
You might also consider American Whitetail Archery Targets (http://www.archerytargets.com/). I bought one of their bag targets after talking with the owner and have not regretted it. It's filled with cloth pieces and stops arrows quite nicely and removing arrows is really easy. And if/when you put enough holes in the bag cover you can order a replacement cover, slip it over the old one and keep on using the target - you don't have to discard it and buy another. They also make a good and affordable, multiple density vertical layered foam target for broadheads that holds up well and doesn't shred badly.

Ray from Auburn
02-24-2011, 03:12 AM
What my friend and I have both used is the yellow bag you get at Wal-Mart. I believe it's a BushMaster. Deer's head on one side and 9 or 12 circles on the other. Cost is about $25 and are pretty durable. They've served us well with a lot of practice at 10-60yds.

archerx7
02-24-2011, 04:28 AM
Mckenzie shot blocker and the black hole are a couple more layered foam targets. They will wear quick and sliver badly w bh's though.

Brought 1 of the Black Hole targets into the shop to try out, 1st arrow went right up to the vanes as did the rest of them. The only thing that prevented complete pass throughs was the back stop wall. Broadheads rendered the target useless in about 2 dozen shots.

Morrell makes some very good, long lasting targets, both bag and broadhead styles. Most of their bag targets can be recovered very inexpensivley and last for years.

The Rinehart 18-1 is said to be very durable and I believe they even warranty it against pass throughs for 1 year, can be shot with field points and BH's.

madlaz
02-24-2011, 04:47 AM
:DIts worth getting the best get a spyderweb hard to beat easy arrow removal little pricey but woth it especially if you want to shoot inside your house or basement even in garage been shooting it for 4 months at the minimumm of 50 shots per day no pass through yet really worth buying.

mudpig
02-24-2011, 05:05 AM
I got a Delta Speed Bag for target tip practice. I've got about 1500 shots into it and not much sign of wear on it. Most arrows remove easily with 2 fingers and not even close to a pass thru. Not rated for BH tho. For BH heard the 18-1 is hard to beat.

RLW
02-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Brought 1 of the Black Hole targets into the shop to try out, 1st arrow went right up to the vanes as did the rest of them. The only thing that prevented complete pass throughs was the back stop wall. Broadheads rendered the target useless in about 2 dozen shots.

I'm another not impressed Black Hole user. After one good broadhead tuning session, I had cut strips of black foam all over the yard around it. I tried to spread shots out at various dots, but still most shots went clear into vanes, if not complete blow thrus.
Had to used it again for my most recent BH tuning. Good thing it was shooting fairly well, because about the only places that stopped an arrow were about a 6" x 6" area in the corners..........pretty much trash now.

This target thread was good timing because I was looking for a new one.

Brem
02-24-2011, 05:33 AM
I too am at the stage for a new target. Black Hole is garbage. I like the size but as much as I shoot(200 arrows a day or so) it didnt last. Dicks had the morrell combo pack on sale. 1 broadhead foam and 1 yellow jacket bag. The bag held up fo a while but then started blowing cotton out the back so I duct taped it, th held for a bit. then I got a new cover(16.95) and it lasted a little longer but that one has gone by the weigh side too.
I did a little research and I am going with the Morrell Michael Waddell's Bone Collector 400 FPS Field Point Target. 4 sides 19" x 19" x 19". Weight: 32 lbs.
Side 1 BC logo with 6 bullseyes, side 2 a dart board, side 3 is 9 ball, and side 4
is the vitals of a deer. Cabelas has it on sale for 69.99 + standard spipping with extra 8.00 oversized shipping however it is on backorder. Basspro has it for 74.99 + 10.50 standard shipping and an extra 18.00 oversized shipping charge! my basspro is over an hour away so driving over is still cheaper that having it shipped!!

RLW
02-24-2011, 05:57 AM
You might also consider American Whitetail Archery Targets (http://www.archerytargets.com/).
Just checking this out.......look like a pretty nice bunch of targets

bigredhunter00
02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
I use the bone collector target. It has 4 sides: dartboard, vitals, dots and 9-ball. Ive prolly put 3000+ shots into it and its still good. Its heavy so the wind wont blow it around. I paid 65 bucks for it and bought a seperate broadhead target for 25 bucks at sportsmans warehouse. Has a soft outer foam and a hard inner foam. No complaints. Also the Bone Collector is rated for 400 fps.

elkslayer4x5
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I 've got a mixture of Delta and Morrell bags on my field range, and except the close targets which I have to rotate, they hold up well, the near ones get all punched out in the back, have to pound the stuffing back in and they're good for another couple of weeks. Here's the shot at the 50 yard bag :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/50yd.jpg

Simple Life
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I use the bone collector target. It has 4 sides: dartboard, vitals, dots and 9-ball. Ive prolly put 3000+ shots into it and its still good. Its heavy so the wind wont blow it around. I paid 65 bucks for it and bought a seperate broadhead target for 25 bucks at sportsmans warehouse. Has a soft outer foam and a hard inner foam. No complaints. Also the Bone Collector is rated for 400 fps.

Welcome to the forum bigredhunter.

I have A Morrel Yellow Jacket,good for FP's,

SL

safeskies
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
This looks like the same target for a slightly better price at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Collector%C2%99-F-P-S-Target-Morrell%C2%AE/dp/B002UIZWTE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299706203&sr=8-2). $69.97 + $11.49 shipping.

I too am at the stage for a new target. Black Hole is garbage. I like the size but as much as I shoot(200 arrows a day or so) it didnt last. Dicks had the morrell combo pack on sale. 1 broadhead foam and 1 yellow jacket bag. The bag held up fo a while but then started blowing cotton out the back so I duct taped it, th held for a bit. then I got a new cover(16.95) and it lasted a little longer but that one has gone by the weigh side too.
I did a little research and I am going with the Morrell Michael Waddell's Bone Collector 400 FPS Field Point Target. 4 sides 19" x 19" x 19". Weight: 32 lbs.
Side 1 BC logo with 6 bullseyes, side 2 a dart board, side 3 is 9 ball, and side 4
is the vitals of a deer. Cabelas has it on sale for 69.99 + standard spipping with extra 8.00 oversized shipping however it is on backorder. Basspro has it for 74.99 + 10.50 standard shipping and an extra 18.00 oversized shipping charge! my basspro is over an hour away so driving over is still cheaper that having it shipped!!

RLW
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
.........This target thread was good timing because I was looking for a new one.
Just an FYI update: I ended up buying two targets since my last post, both thru Sportsman's Guide.

One was an American Whitetail Hybrid King, with intent to use it mostly for broadheads......which may be a good thing, because the 9-10 shots I put in it with field points took some real effort to pull. Woody's lube I use on 3D targets might help that.
Still a nice target that will likely travel to camp sites with me.
http://www.archerytargets.com/hybridKing.aspx
Side note: I thought the 9" depth might let it tip over on high shots. (3) 20yds shots with 69ft/lbs KE in top center diamond did rock it, but it stayed upright on a level platform.

The other one was a Big Green Stopper bag target for my field/target points. I'm really liking this one so far in the two weeks I've been shooting at it.
Quickly stops my arrows, and the small diameter 80KE darts a friend shoot out of his Hoyt Carbon Element.
http://www.biggreentargets.com/field-point-bag-targets.html

ElkSlayer
03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
nice ...let us know how the hold up over time.. as in soft spots /UV damage?
the sun can kill a target..

polaris754
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
no if s and butts about it if that is where elk slayer shoots i want to go there , yep yep :D

Lung Buster
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I shoot the cabelas arrow hawk target. It has held up very well over the last 5 years but I don't shoot broad heads into it only field points.

kylecurtis04
03-09-2011, 05:17 PM
These are pretty nice and the price is nice as well. I had one last season and it worked great for field tips and broad heads.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=452383

bigredhunter00
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
bone collector is a great target. rated for 400 fps, 4 sides to shoot, about 40 lbs so it wont be blown around

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 08:27 PM
What exactly makes a target a broadhead target?

Spiker
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM
A broadhead target has hair, walks and pisses ya off ???

tla100
03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I just got a redhead, its heavy, but kind of top heavy. Bag type with soft foam frame in bag.

Did shoot at the block and a spiderweb at Scheels a week ago, I almost bought the spiderweb. About 3" less penetration the block, and pull out with no effort. But, $140 I think.

My brothers block is getting crumbly, sitting outside too long. But good for broadheads yet, just messy.

MLN1963
03-10-2011, 05:25 AM
What exactly makes a target a broadhead target?

A broadhead target has hair, walks and pisses ya off ???

Very good answer Spiker! I like it! :D

Let me restate the question, what differentiates field point target construction from broadhead target construcion? I'm talking about the inanimate kind Spiker! :D

bfisher
03-10-2011, 05:59 AM
I know the OP asked about foam targets, but I have to say that one of the best practice targets going is the Morrell Outdoor Range bag. We use them at our club and they get hammered and still last about a year for the short range ones (<30 yards). I don't know what the retail is on them, but our cost is about $85. I would buy one for home use, but living only 6 miles from the club why bother. These are good for field/target point use.

For broadheads, which I normally shoot about 20 shots a year, a Morrell Yellow Jacket would be good and last me the rest of my life. Of course since I no longer hunt it would last several lifetimes.

RLW
03-10-2011, 06:16 AM
.......Let me restate the question, what differentiates field point target construction from broadhead target construction? ........
Field point only targets will many times have a woven nylon printed (& probably replaceable) cover, filled with some type of fiber fill and/or fabric strips.
Broadheads quickly slice these to pieces and maybe blow on thru, or if they do stop them, can hang up in the material making removal a real mess.

The broadhead targets are typically compressed layered foam or solid foam, maybe multi density foam with imprinted target spots and no cover on shooting surface. The foam resists slicing better and closes up a bit after arrow is pulled.
You can use these for target/field point arrows too, but it can be much tougher to pull a field point out of some than it is to pull broadhead tipped arrows out.

MLN1963
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
The broadhead targets are typically compressed layered foam or solid foam, maybe multi density foam with imprinted target spots and no cover on shooting surface. The foam resists slicing better and closes up a bit after arrow is pulled.
You can use these for target/field point arrows too, but it can be much tougher to pull a field point out of some than it is to pull broadhead tipped arrows out.

Thanks. I bought one a while back and it didn't say anything on it. Got it for $29 at Bass Pro and wanted to make sure it was BH safe. It is a layered foam style.

RLW
03-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks. I bought one a while back and it didn't say anything on it. Got it for $29 at Bass Pro and wanted to make sure it was BH safe. It is a layered foam style.
The layered foam will work for both, but they do wear quick with much BH use. After a while you start getting little slices of foam sticking out of the target and/or laying on the ground.
Moving your aim point around to different spots on the target and not always shooting at a center dot extends life quite a bit.

MLN1963
03-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Good plan, I'll do that. Thanks!

RLW
08-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Just an FYI update: I ended up buying two targets since my last post, both thru Sportsman's Guide.

One was an American Whitetail Hybrid King, with intent to use it mostly for broadheads......which may be a good thing, because the 9-10 shots I put in it with field points took some real effort to pull. Woody's lube I use on 3D targets might help that.
Still a nice target that will likely travel to camp sites with me.
http://www.archerytargets.com/hybridKing.aspx
Side note: I thought the 9" depth might let it tip over on high shots. (3) 20yds shots with 69ft/lbs KE in top center diamond did rock it, but it stayed upright on a level platform.

The other one was a Big Green Stopper bag target for my field/target points. I'm really liking this one so far in the two weeks I've been shooting at it.
Quickly stops my arrows, and the small diameter 80KE darts a friend shoot out of his Hoyt Carbon Element.
http://www.biggreentargets.com/field-point-bag-targets.html

.....and another update
Here's front and back pics of the Big Green target after 6mths frequent use with two shooters, sometimes 4.......not sure how many shoots, but it's been a lot from 20-40yds, recently quite a bit on out to 60yds, and even one shooting out to 100yds
Center dot on cover is starting to get a little worn, and interior foam is bulging a bit from the 100's of hits, but not a single point is anywhere close from poking out other side.

j-bo
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Just picked up a 4'x4' BLOB target. I've been wanting one for 2 yrs. This thing is HEAVY. Probably 185pds +. A bunch of guys got together and they brought 16 of these giants to our bow shoot, along with a bunch of the 24"x24"x8's that are boxed.

And.. it's ugly. :cool:

Only shot an arrow in it to see how hard it is to pull. Not too bad, about the same as a normal 3d target. But when I did and went back out again, I didn't even see the hole that I put in it.

Time will tell how it holds up, but everything I've read and the videos posted, seems like it will be years and years worth.

BLOB TARGETS (http://blobtargets.com)

Skbengal
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
RLW, how's the big green target holding up? I currently have a morrel six shooter and am sick and tired of fighting to get my arrows back. Just wondering if you are still happy with the Big Green, as that's one I'm looking at to replace mine. Thanks.

Double S
02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
here's an Evaluation I done around April 2011 on the Kodiak Big Green target Bag. It was a slight pain at first to pull arrows and I had to use arrow lube. But after sometime they got easier to pull. I will be buying more and it's been stopping arrow and staying intact outdoors.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1466490&highlight=Big+Green+target

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Reviews/NewMorrellCoverMisctargets3.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Reviews/BigGreentarget1.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Reviews/BucketJuiceArrowLube.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Reviews/BigGreentarget3.jpg

Skbengal
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Simon. Nice review and nice shooting! Thanks Rick.

RLW
02-10-2012, 05:17 AM
RLW, how's the big green target holding up? ..............
It is still holding up very well. During September and Octomber after my last post, it really got some heavy use and looks same as those last photos.
Have no doubt I'll buy another one whenever this one wears out.

Skbengal
02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Great to hear. Thanks for the response!

motohead1967
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I just make my own targets. I make them 4ft by 4ft. I am new so they have to be big for me. I us sub siding for the outside box and stuff it with 3/4 rebond/carpet padding. the box is 4x4x1 1/2 stop everthing and easy to see. But this is from a noobie. The cost is the best part free if you are close to a job site to jump in the dumsters. lol