PDA

View Full Version : Single or multi pin sight

Simple Life
02-20-2011, 07:38 AM
I have always shot multi pin sights,but I have been looking hard at single pin sight for the new bow.Any one have any thoughts about single pins-pros/cons
or should I stick with multi.This would be for hunting situations only.
as always any info is much appreciated:D

SL

elkslayer4x5
02-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I hunt with a single pin slider, and love it. I have no problem getting enough distance with the HHA's, 65 yds on the 63#er and 75 + on the 55#er. I have a tough time with multi pin sights, just too much stuff in the pin housing for me, all I want to see is my pin and the critter thats in trouble! I leave my HHA OL 5519 set at 30 yds, not locked down. Also carry and use a rangefinder. Most of my hunting is done on Timber company lands, which will allow hunting if you apply for permission. It all behind locked gates, with plenty of roads. You can walk, or ride a bike, no motorized vehicles. Shots range from 10 to 60+ yds on some of the clearcuts. I made the pack on the back of the bike to carry out a quartered deer, it has 2500 cu. in. of storage, compression straps to secure the load, and is cut to provide heel clearence while pedaling. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/aablacktailleft.jpg

bfisher
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I prefer a sinlge pin slider, too. I guess a lot has to do with how old your eyes are. As I got older I had a harder time focusing on multiple pins. The colors all fade together for me. Having only one pin means there is no possibilty of picking the wrong one when the adrenalin is rushing although that has ebbed, too.

I hunt eastern hardwoods for deer where shots rarely exceed 30 yards and usuallt less than that. Setting a single pin for 25 yards allows for shooting from 5 yards to 30 yards with little to no sight correction as with a speed of 265fps my arrows are always within 3" of the aiming point which puts the arrow well within the vitals. It keeps things fairly simple. If the deer is within 30 yards then aim and shoot.

I could and have done this with a pure single pin sight, but the slider allows me to practice at longer ranges and makes for more pin point accuracy for local 3D shoots.

At most I've rarely used more than two pins on any hunting bow. As I said, KISS.

ElkSlayer
02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
5pin on my hunting bow.. would use a slider if I had an extra, thou if i ever slap the toxonic on the target bow i would use the HHA again.. HHA on the boy's bow. its all he realy knows.. lots of guys are using the single pin as Barry said. keep it simple....set it forget it... I am a ground pounder shot's happen when and where ever at odd ranges.. most of the time you can set a slider ;) but not always :eek: hate when they hang up, or come in from an unexpected lane..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I use a single pin Pro hunter its quick and easy to see and to use.

Hutch:cool:

Rangerj
02-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I prefer a sinlge pin slider, too. I guess a lot has to do with how old your eyes are. As I got older I had a harder time focusing on multiple pins. The colors all fade together for me. Having only one pin means there is no possibilty of picking the wrong one when the adrenalin is rushing although that has ebbed, too.

I hunt eastern hardwoods for deer where shots rarely exceed 30 yards and usuallt less than that. Setting a single pin for 25 yards allows for shooting from 5 yards to 30 yards with little to no sight correction as with a speed of 265fps my arrows are always within 3" of the aiming point which puts the arrow well within the vitals. It keeps things fairly simple. If the deer is within 30 yards then aim and shoot.

I could and have done this with a pure single pin sight, but the slider allows me to practice at longer ranges and makes for more pin point accuracy for local 3D shoots.

At most I've rarely used more than two pins on any hunting bow. As I said, KISS.

What Barry says.

Simple Life
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I hunt with a single pin slider, and love it. I have no problem getting enough distance with the HHA's, 65 yds on the 63#er and 75 + on the 55#er. I have a tough time with multi pin sights, just too much stuff in the pin housing for me, all I want to see is my pin and the critter thats in trouble! I leave my HHA OL 5519 set at 30 yds, not locked down. Also carry and use a rangefinder. Most of my hunting is done on Timber company lands, which will allow hunting if you apply for permission. It all behind locked gates, with plenty of roads. You can walk, or ride a bike, no motorized vehicles. Shots range from 10 to 60+ yds on some of the clearcuts. I made the pack on the back of the bike to carry out a quartered deer, it has 2500 cu. in. of storage, compression straps to secure the load, and is cut to provide heel clearence while pedaling. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/aablacktailleft.jpg

Nice set-up,last time a touched a pedal bike<i was teenager,I probably die of heart failure:eek:

Simple Life
02-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the input,now I have to pick between a few-anybody use or tried these let me know how you like it-really appreciate this.

Tru-Glow Range Rover
Cobra Easy Slide 2
Viper Predator Quickset 2500 Single-Pin
PSE Slider 2 sight(sorry:o)

HHA are too expensive right now,thats why they are not in here.This is the last accessory I need.My archery shops around here,kinda suck,so I will have to order in.Real sorry for all the questions.

SL

Simple Life
02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
What Barry says.

How do you like your Range Rover?

gibson 787
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Single pin for me. Truglo Rangerover on most.

Rangerj
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
How do you like your Range Rover?

I like it very well. It's well made and durable. I have the TFO pin so I don't need batteries.Would not hesitate to buy another.

bfisher
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the input,now I have to pick between a few-anybody use or tried these let me know how you like it-really appreciate this.

Tru-Glow Range Rover
Cobra Easy Slide 2
Viper Predator Quickset 2500 Single-Pin
PSE Slider 2 sight(sorry:o)

HHA are too expensive right now,thats why they are not in here.This is the last accessory I need.My archery shops around here,kinda suck,so I will have to order in.Real sorry for all the questions.

SL

HHA isn't out of reach. Look in the classifieds on AT for a used one. I just picked up a OL-5019 for $70, including shipping. Not mark on it and it's the new (2010) style with tooless adjustments.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
HHA isn't out of reach. Look in the classifieds on AT for a used one. I just picked up a OL-5019 for $70, including shipping. Not mark on it and it's the new (2010) style with tooless adjustments.

That is a good deal Barry! Especially for that sight.

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks,I will keep a eye on that.

Arrow Splitter
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I have to agree with RangerJ. The Truglo Range Rover is a extremely nice sight. All mine cost was $50, brand new from eBay. I only am looking at other sights mainly because I don't like how the Range Rover's hood can hit my riser( a Jaguar has a very compact riser), and I'd like to get a sight that has a smaller sight housing. Just my personal preferences. I'm not getting rid of the sight though, because if I ever get a new bow, it'll probably go on it.:cool:

Simple Life
02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with RangerJ. The Truglo Range Rover is a extremely nice sight. All mine cost was $50, brand new from eBay. I only am looking at other sights mainly because I don't like how the Range Rover's hood can hit my riser( a Jaguar has a very compact riser), and I'd like to get a sight that has a smaller sight housing. Just my personal preferences. I'm not getting rid of the sight though, because if I ever get a new bow, it'll probably go on it.:cool:

Thanks for the info AS,I think my shop can order these ,does yours have the light?and does it light the pin good?

Arrow Splitter
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info AS,I think my shop can order these ,does yours have the light?

Mine does not have the light, and I found the pin was so bright that I didn't need it.:cool: I've shot and hunted in low light conditions, and the lack of a light didn't present even the slightest problem.:cool:

A.S

Simple Life
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Mine does not have the light, and I found the pin was so bright that I didn't need it.:cool: I've shot and hunted in low light conditions, and the lack of a light didn't present even the slightest problem.:cool:

A.S

Nice to know thanks.

Arrow Splitter
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice to know thanks.

No problem.:)

A.S

elkslayer4x5
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
How big is the pin housing? Might be able to swap it out with a slightly smaller housing, Big difference in Elkslayer's XL and my Ol. Mine's 1 5/8, his 2" :)

Arrow Splitter
02-22-2011, 01:33 PM
How big is the pin housing? Might be able to swap it out with a slightly smaller housing, Big difference in Elkslayer's XL and my Ol. Mine's 1 5/8, his 2" :)

Not a bad idea. I have the 2" housing.

jnordwell
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
i have a viper quickset. my last bow i set it at 35 yards... woulb be 5 in high at 20 and 2 in low at 40 and 7 in low at 50. covered alot of range. shot 312fps with that bow. new bow should be 270+ so dont know were i will set it at. happy hunting