PDA

View Full Version : upgrading firecat pro-x

cyclepath
02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey all; brand new to here, never knew this site was around and wouldn't have found it had this site not spilled over from a tizzy over on AT. Anyway I have a 2008 firecat which I bought late last year to finish up hunting season. I have seen where a few people have upgraded their bows with newer limbs and cams. From what I could tell it did nothing to improve the speed of the bow so I am wondering why people are, have, done this. Where are they getting the new parts to do this with and what is the aprox cost to upgrade the bow? Is it worth doing and what would the benifits be to doing this? Any takers with answers? Thanks

bfisher
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
There are few of us here that had limb problems. That's why the upgrade. Martin pretty much quit making the same limbs and changed the bow somewhat so the option was that they gave us new (narrower) 2010 limbs, roto-cups, axles, cams, and string/cables. Essentially replaced everything but the riser. That's how they take care of their customers.

If you're not having a problem then there's no reason to upgrade. The speed and shootablity of the bow is no different. I can tell you for certain that the cost of the new parts exceeds the cost of a brand new bow.

If it's shooting fine then just enjoy it. FireCat is a nice bow.

Ehunter
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the forum cycle. I think Barry covered it all pretty well. A few bows were having limb failures, and Martin upgraded all of them to the new 2010 or 2011 parts. The '08 Firecat you have should be a good one. I think most of the problems were with '09s. I wouldn't upgrade unless I ran into problems.

Rockyhud
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I had one limb crack on my 08 Firecat close to 2 years ago now. Martin replaced both limbs with new 2009 limbs and to this time they've been holding up well - no issues with the bow in any regard since then. As best I know the 2010 limbs, cams and Roto-cup weren't available at the time. I don't know if Martin would have opted to replaced everything like Barry's Firecat at the time he had his repaired, but at this time I'd say it doesn't really matter since it's holding together and shooting well with what it has.

As for upgrading, I'm awaiting the arrival of a recently ordered TRG/SOS system and the new VEM riser dampeners. One poster, dan476 I believe, installed the TRG/SOS on his 08 Moab and reported success in doing so. The difference between his Moab and my Firecat is in the cams - Moab has M-Pro single cam and Firecat has hybrid CAT cams. So, based on his experience and a few others I've read do this I decided to try it on my bow. I had hoped to get it by bow but it's still apparently "in the mail". I'll be reporting my findings here and AT after I've had some time to work with the TRG/SOS.

Anyway, congrats on your choice of bows. I'm betting you have a fine shooter.

Spiker
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
I had one limb crack on my 08 Firecat close to 2 years ago now. Martin replaced both limbs with new 2009 limbs and to this time they've been holding up well - no issues with the bow in any regard since then. As best I know the 2010 limbs, cams and Roto-cup weren't available at the time. I don't know if Martin would have opted to replaced everything like Barry's Firecat at the time he had his repaired, but at this time I'd say it doesn't really matter since it's holding together and shooting well with what it has.

As for upgrading, I'm awaiting the arrival of a recently ordered TRG/SOS system and the new VEM riser dampeners. One poster, dan476 I believe, installed the TRG/SOS on his 08 Moab and reported success in doing so. The difference between his Moab and my Firecat is in the cams - Moab has M-Pro single cam and Firecat has hybrid CAT cams. So, based on his experience and a few others I've read do this I decided to try it on my bow. I had hoped to get it by bow but it's still apparently "in the mail". I'll be reporting my findings here and AT after I've had some time to work with the TRG/SOS.

Anyway, congrats on your choice of bows. I'm betting you have a fine shooter.

Not sure because you had yours updated but - another difference may be that the bows with the C.A.T cams had the reinforced limb tips.
On a good note - I have an '09 Firecat with over 12,000 shots on it now and have had no issues at all.

Rockyhud
02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Is there a visual difference between the limbs my Firecat has and those on a Moab (i.e., reinforced limb tips vs not). Since you mentioned that I now recall having read about this but never piqued my interest enough at the time to investigate what is different, visually or otherwise. Can you enlighten me and others on this? Thanks.

bfisher
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Is there a visual difference between the limbs my Firecat has and those on a Moab (i.e., reinforced limb tips vs not). Since you mentioned that I now recall having read about this but never piqued my interest enough at the time to investigate what is different, visually or otherwise. Can you enlighten me and others on this? Thanks.

The main difference that you will see is reinforcing pins through the limb tips of the bows with Cat/Nitro cams. Other than that you can't visually tell a difference.

rjd
02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a 08 with the updated limbs to the issues. Been shooting it for atleast a 100 shoots every other day till around Christmas time. No problems on mine . Do like it shoots better then I can on most days.

Rockyhud
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Barry. Once again I learned a little something I didn't know before.

HawgEnvy
02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
looks like another one for Mr. Fisher. Go get em, Boss!

bfisher
02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
looks like another one for Mr. Fisher. Go get em, Boss!

Already done.

cyclepath
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I thought rather than start a new thread I would just continue this one. I have been looking at as many firecats as I could find and I am trying to understand what it is that I bought. Is there a way to tell for sure if the bow is a firecat pro-x? I can't find a serial # anywhere on the bow. I can't really tell if I am reading everything right But this is what I have found. The cams on the bow have cat 2 on them so I assume Thats what It has. There is no sticker on the bottom limb that has the bow info on it. Both limbs just have martin on them. The upper limb has 4H 6/10 on it and the bottom limb has 4HC 6/10 on it. Does this mean the limbs are 2010 limbs and the cams were changed from cat to cat 2 or were cat 2's on the 2008 models. Wish I knew how to post pics on here. What is your take on this?

Arrow Splitter
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Wish I knew how to post pics on here.

1.) When you're replying to or starting a new thread, underneath the box that you type your text in you will see where it says additional options.

2.) In that section, click the "Manage Attachments" button.

3.) A box will come up, and at the top it will say "Upload File From Your
Computer".

4.) Next click the "Browse" button located just below the above.

5.) Another box will come up. Locate where the picture is in your computer(Desktop, Documents folder, etc.). Select it and click the "Open" button on the box.

6.) The above box should now disappear, and now just click the upload button.

7.) When the picture is done uploading, you will see the picture name appear in the same window.

Repeat steps 4-6 for additional photos.

8.) When you're done, close the window, and you can post your message.

Hint: If your pictures are larger than 800X600, visit this link: http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8877

Hope this helps

A.S

Ehunter
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Cycle, from the info you gave, I'd say your bow has already been updated to the 2010 cams and limbs. From what I was told by Martin, the 6/10 is the month and year of manufacture. When I had to put new limbs on my '09 FC, they came without the label as well. They had the Martin name on each limb face, and that was it.

cyclepath
03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
testing 1 2 3 hope this works.

cyclepath
03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Sorry, wrong bow!

NuttyNative
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM

What bow is this? Looks pretty cool.

cyclepath
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
It's called a bladerunner. They have a web site believe it or not.

archerx7
03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Sorry, wrong bow!

Thats an 08. The logo above the shelf changed on the 09 models.

alex
03-04-2011, 07:36 AM

:confused: What's this?!? A Gatling machine gun has a simpler design i think :D

Arrow Splitter
03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
:confused: What's this?!? A Gatling machine gun has a simpler design i think :D

I think you're right.:D

A.S

cyclepath
03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
OK, now that I know what upgrades have been done to my bow, saved me a ton of money from what I understand. I am thinking about personalizing it. New string and cables, new dip on the limbs and new custom limb stickers. Perhaps I could get some ideas from you guys where to go to have these things done. I am thinking the hardest one will be the limb stickers. Would this be able to be done by one of you guys on the forum? Would I have to send the bow in to make sure of the string and cables length? PM me and we can go over what I am looking for and a ball park figure. Don't like to talk money on an open forum. Thanks all.

elkslayer4x5
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Aren't the limb srickers just decals? Those are pretty easy to do.:)

cyclepath
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
sorry, bad choice of words. yes limb decals.

cyclepath
03-11-2011, 09:57 AM
New string and cables, new dip on the limbs and new custom limb stickers. Perhaps I could get some ideas from you guys where to go to have these things done. I am thinking the hardest one will be the limb stickers. Would this be able to be done by one of you guys on the forum? Would I have to send the bow in to make sure of the string and cables length?

Never really got any replys on this but I trust a few of you should be able to help me out on some of these things. Thanks guys.

cyclepath
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I thought rather than start a new thread I would just continue this one. I have been looking at as many firecats as I could find and I am trying to understand what it is that I bought. Is there a way to tell for sure if the bow is a firecat pro-x? I can't find a serial # anywhere on the bow. I can't really tell if I am reading everything right But this is what I have found. The cams on the bow have cat 2 on them so I assume Thats what It has. There is no sticker on the bottom limb that has the bow info on it. Both limbs just have martin on them. The upper limb has 4H 6/10 on it and the bottom limb has 4HC 6/10 on it. Does this mean the limbs are 2010 limbs and the cams were changed from cat to cat 2 or were cat 2's on the 2008 models. Wish I knew how to post pics on here. What is your take on this?

This was from an earlier post describing what had been done to the bow.

elkslayer4x5
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
"Wish I knew how to post pics on here."

After reading the resizing stickey at the top of the page, open this window;

http://www.imagelinky.com/

Click browse, find your image, Click open, click upload, copy bottom link and paste where you want your image to appear.
So easy that even old gomers like me can do it. :D

bfisher
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
No Cat2 cams on the 2008 model. Just guessing but if there is no limb sticker then I'd say the limbs were changed. Here's a way to tell if they are 2010 limbs. Measure the width of them. 2010 limbs are 1 1/2" wide. Before that they were 1 7/8". If the limbs are 1 1/2" then they are 2010 limbs, rorto ups and cams.

As for the cams. The original Cat cams have a cable take-up hub near the center of the cam. This hub has a cable groove that tracks straight. The 2010 cams have the same groove but it is spiraled. I'll try to post a pic of the new cam so you can see it.

The older cam is not compatable with the 2010 limbs, as cam lean would be very severe, even at rest.

OK, I found the pic I wanted. Notice that the cable angles as it rolls around the hub. This is a 2010 cam.

Simple Life
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Never really got any replys on this but I trust a few of you should be able to help me out on some of these things. Thanks guys.

Alot of good string makers out there,not sure when Hutch will be up and running maaybe pm him.Been hearing alot of good things about Pro-strings.
You can buy a DIY camo dip kit.
http://www.camodipkit.com/
And decals can be made at most autographics places,they can usually make what ever you want

Brem
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I recommend H&M Bowstrings(www.hmbowstrings.com) He does great work and he is the least expensive of the quality string makers. I had a set made for a Firecat and they were flawless.

Ehunter
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM
X2 for H&M Strings. Had a set for my old '09 FC, and they were perfect. Mike does some darn good work, and is very reasonably priced.