PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Selection for 2011 Shadowcat

Atavio
02-25-2011, 02:07 AM
Hello.

Requesting the following ARROW SELECTION information for 2011 Martin Shadowcat with Nitro 2.0 cams.

1) Minumum and maximum arrow spine reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

2) Minimum and maximum arrow GPI reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

3) Minimum and maximum total arrow weight (including nock, fletching, insert and tip) reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

Bow information pertaining to proper arrow selection:
31" draw
30" arrows
Nitro 2.0 cams.

Please advise,

Atavio

archerx7
02-25-2011, 05:02 AM
If you go to the Pin Wheel software website, you can down load a free trial version of OT2 and play around with all the variables on your bow and arrow setups. ;)

http://pinwheelsoftware.com/

Atavio
03-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Ok, thanks for the info. That softwre is great, however I would first like to start with basic answers to arrow weight and spine selection.

Any suggestions for that, anyone?

Atavio

RLW
03-01-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm going to second archerx7 advise to download that program. I have and use the Software for Archers version shown of right hand side of linked page.

Once you select your bow from the database and input some personal measurements needed, it will help you find a proper spined and balanced arrow for whatever draw weight you decide to use.
After you have an arrow you like, and have put in accurate requested information, you can print out sight pin spacing templates, review ballistic tables, etc......

There are just so many choices of arrows along with combination of vanes, points, even nocks that it makes your request not as easy as it may sound.....and choices or recommendation can vary depending on what you plan to do, as in indoor target? hunting? 3D shoots? Field archery?
1) maybe a spine of 400 at 50lbs, 340 at 60lbs, and 340 or even 300 at 70lbs, or whatever a manufacturer may offer between there??
2) GPI of the arrow varies a great deal depending on arrow and arrow manufacturer. Regardless of draw weight, you could have between 7-8GPI to 10-11GPI. My arrow shafts typically run in the 8.5 - 9.4GPI range
3) The arrow weight is also going to vary widely. Warranty, and maybe common sense, requires a minimum of 5.0grs/lb, but you could go 10+grs/lb. I personally like a mid range of 6.0 -6.5grs/lb regardless of bow draw weight.

For a starting point look at spine charts of arrow manufacturer you may want to use or talk with local proshop

bfisher
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
RLW,

Only one correction there. In answer number 6; It's a minimum of 5 gr/lb, not per inch. Otherwise, good info.

RLW
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
RLW,

Only one correction there. In answer number 6; It's a minimum of 5 gr/lb, not per inch. Otherwise, good info.
oops, sorry. Every once in a while I get in a hurry and not only need spell check, but some sort of "type the words I'm actually thinking" check.........Thanks for the correction.