PDA

View Full Version : T R U spyder speed silencers

Lung Buster
02-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Tried a pair of these out on my 2010 bone hunter they were pretty easy to install and looked pretty cool. After about 100 shots I noticed that the top one was hitting the string where it separates and attatches to the the top limb! I removed them right away. It is ashame because they really made the bow a little more quiet but it is not worth banging up my bow string. Just wondering if anyone else tried them and what you thought of them?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 04:27 AM
I haven't tried them. My Bengal came with the x factor string silencers. I couldn't get it as quiet as I like it. So I put on whiskers and that solved the whole problem. Cat whiskers are the preferred choice to quiet a bow. Granted they are not any help on speed. But if you hunt they make the difference.

Hutch:cool:

Lung Buster
02-27-2011, 04:31 AM
are the cat whiskers the rubber ones you put on and cut then they separate? i used to shoot the puffs but they really take some speed away even though they did quiet the bow down.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 04:41 AM
are the cat whiskers the rubber ones you put on and cut then they separate? i used to shoot the puffs but they really take some speed away even though they did quiet the bow down.

Yes they are, here is how I do them and you shouldn't have to replace them till you replace the string. And they are more quiet then any thing I have tried. And I have tried a lot.
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/technical-faq-28/whisker-type-string-silencers-how-to-86556/

Lung Buster
02-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Awesome thanks for the info the site was very helpful!

parttimr
02-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Did like Hutch and got rid of the originals and went to the whiskers right away. Made a big difference.

bfisher
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Just like Lungbuster I tried a pair of these some years ago and had the same results. Those spiders just beat the heck out of the Y cable. They didn't last long on my bow just because of that, so people---save your money.

If you want quiet there is nothing better than old Cat Whiskers. If you want a good compromise then the newer style String Leeches work well.

Simple Life
02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
X2 Cat whiskers:)

ElkSlayer
02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
thanks for the heads up on them... I will stay with the ole tried an true...now just to redo my haystacks...turn um into golf balls like Hutch's (your my hero:D) lol shouldnt you east coast guys be out shoveling snow :p

Simple Life
02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
thanks for the heads up on them... I will stay with the ole tried an true...now just to redo my haystacks...turn um into golf balls like Hutch's (your my hero:D) lol shouldnt you east coast guys be out shoveling snow :p

No shoveling here,thats what tractors are for;)

Lung Buster
02-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Just got back from my local outfitter and picked up some whiskers soon as I get time I will put them on. Good stuff!

Simple Life
02-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Here is another link to a video,which helps too make them the small type

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNxTLPJW0

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Just got back from my local outfitter and picked up some whiskers soon as I get time I will put them on. Good stuff!

If you don't have serving to tie them on use dental floss it works as well as serving.

bb11
02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
what is the anticipated los of speed with Cat whiskers and leeches?

Simple Life
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM
what is the anticipated los of speed with Cat whiskers and leeches?

Leeches are roughly 2-3fps,and the CW a little more,but the CW are better IMHO at quieting.

parttimr
02-27-2011, 09:24 AM
+1 on what Hutch said about dental floss. All I ever use it's cheap and always around.

Rockyhud
02-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I too am one of those who's on a quest to quiet my bow as much as reasonably possible and read the thread on Mathews forum for installing the cat whiskers. Since then I also found some made from musk ox wool that are sold by 3Rivers Archery that claim to work well and are light enough as to not rob speed in the process. Do any of you have any experience with this product? Here's the link for the product (http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4411). According to their tech guy(s) they haven't installed them on compound bows but do think they would work.

elkslayer4x5
02-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Leeches are roughly 2-3fps,and the CW a little more,but the CW are better IMHO at quieting.

And how much is a little, 4-6 fps? :)

Simple Life
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
And how much is a little, 4-6 fps? :)

Around there,someone on another forum claimed 10:confused:
Really 2-7 fps is not enough loss in speed to matter :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I too am one of those who's on a quest to quiet my bow as much as reasonably possible and read the thread on Mathews forum for installing the cat whiskers. Since then I also found some made from musk ox wool that are sold by 3Rivers Archery that claim to work well and are light enough as to not rob speed in the process. Do any of you have any experience with this product? Here's the link for the product (http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4411). According to their tech guy(s) they haven't installed them on compound bows but do think they would work.
They are light, but the resistance of going forward on the string is going to be a lot. Since the catch a lot of air. As far as lasting I am not sure. They are mostly used on traditional bows. But you can always experiment. And tell us how it works out.

RLW
02-28-2011, 05:23 AM
I've tried those speed balls years ago, and Martin speed demons, puffs, String leech, etc. Put them at various locations on string between 2" to 5" from cam/wheel, which did have some impact, but still all lost speed regardless of claims..........and I always went back to cat whiskers.

Last year after some tuning, I shot my Bengal thru my chronograph prior to putting cat whiskers on, then again after install of cat whiskers at about 3" from cam/wheel. 8-10 shot average, I lost 2fps. Some years back, I had about same loss on my '96 Firecat.

I put them on very similar to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNxTLPJW0