PDA

View Full Version : How to quiet my bow?

LMJii
02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
First things first. I had a great experience with Martin when I returned my bow for warranty work. Joel and Roxy were great to work with. I know I'm not aware of other individuals who were also involved, but I appreciate their help as well. Martin's reputation for great customer service is well warranted.

I've got an '09 MOAB and it seems a bit loud, especially when shooting next to other bows. I'm sure some of the effect is simply due to proximity, but are their any tricks to quieting the bow?

I have abare string, relatively speaking, just 3/16" peep and d-loop. I do have a sring stopper, but that is the extent of the hush material. I'm probablu going to add limbsavers to each limb, maybe sring silencers too? My area bow tech suggested I don't need to clutter the string with silencers as the string stop should kill the string vibration/noise, but what about the cable?

Does shooting at a lower weight quet the bow? Thanks for reading. Look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge routinely displayed in this forum. Thanks again.

LMJii

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Quieting a bow. CAT WHISKERS ON THE STRINGS HERE IS HOW I do
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery...-how-to-86556/ (http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/technical-faq-28/whisker-type-string-silencers-how-to-86556/)

Experiment with the STS and that will help.

Limb savers as well.

Hutch:cool:

cyclepath
02-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Something that is quite often overlooked is the arrows that you are shooting. Shooting a light arrow to gain more speed will make your bow louder. Try some heavier arrows and that should quiet your bow down for you. You will loose some speed but will gain in KE.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I've got some 400 grain ICS Bowhunters. Reckon I could add another 25 grains with a heavier head too. Is 386 gr. too light shooting at 65 - 68#? At this point I plan to add the limbsavers. Thanks.

Ehunter
02-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Also don't forget the fact that a bow sounds louder when you are the shooter. Have someone else shoot your bow, and stand next to them. See if it sounds as loud as you think. I'm always trying to keep my bows as quiet as possible since I mainly hunt. I use string leeches, but plan on switching to cat whiskers. Limb savers or Bow Jax on the limbs, and an STS or the new SOS. Cables, I don't really worry about much. Every bit of arrow weight you add also quiets the bow. Just don't go overboard, and start shooting broomsticks. lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Something that is quite often overlooked is the arrows that you are shooting. Shooting a light arrow to gain more speed will make your bow louder. Try some heavier arrows and that should quiet your bow down for you. You will loose some speed but will gain in KE.

Good point and I also for got to mention it.

elkslayer4x5
02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
As I recall, the Moab's had to be timed properly to keep them quiet, your string and cables may have streched a bit by now, and lost the timing, acounting for the increased noise. Just a thought...:)

LMJii
02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I've got about a year of archery experience under my belt. Not enough to know much. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant... How or what should I do to evaluate/correct timing on my bow? As a single cam bow with probablu a thousand or more shots through it the string is good and stretched. But wht can I do with a single cam? Thanks.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I've got about a year of archery experience under my belt. Not enough to know much. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant... How or what should I do to evaluate/correct timing on my bow? As a single cam bow with probablu a thousand or more shots through it the string is good and stretched. But wht can I do with a single cam? Thanks.

You are not ignorant just not up to speed yet. A single cam bow can be over clocked cam or under clocked cam. This will make unnecessary noise as it comes to rest after a shot. If you can post a pic of the cam and the position of the string so we can give you some help.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Will do. Should I take a pic of the cam at rest, or do I need to have a pic taken at full draw? Is a pic from one side better than another? Thanks for the help.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Will do. Should I take a pic of the cam at rest, or do I need to have a pic taken at full draw? Is a pic from one side better than another? Thanks for the help.

At rest. Laying flat on either side will do.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for taking a look.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Cam timing looks good to me!
If it were off the cam would be turned one way or the other.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
That's good news, and I learned something! Thanks.

So I guess I should try some or all of the previous suggestions. I'll add the limbsavers and maybe some string silencers. I like having a clean string, but I use my bow for hunting primarily and now concern myself primarily with stealth. I'd give up speed for silence all day. Should I consider silencers on the cables or any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help. Appreciate your time.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
single cam timing2.jpg (http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1671&stc=1&d=1298825660)

This is what matters the distance between the cam and the string matters too far is not as bad as to close. Too close the cam slaps the string and makes noise. The red line is where we are talking about.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
1. Check your Axle to axle measurement to see if that is at the right specs.
2. Check your Brace height to see if that is in spec.
3. Proper arrow weight
4. Limb savers
5. Cat whiskers to quiet the string
6. STS adjustment (sometimes experimenting all three of our martins the STS touch the string to quiet them)
7. Cable silencing (sometimes experimenting one of all my bows needed it)
8. Proper stabilizer.

Hope this helps

LMJii
02-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Will do. I'll check my specs.

I just got the bow back from Martin HQ. I would hope the specs are tight to tolerance.

Had to send it in as I have gone through two sets of limbs. No. I did not contribute to the limbs failing (no dry fire, arrows within tolerance, limbs bolts backed off of max, etc...). Oddly though, the first instance I found a crack at the split near the idler wheel up top. Martin sent a new set of limbs and had it repaired locally.

2nd instance the top limb (again) showed limb failure as a large splinter began to peal away. This time I sent it back to Martin and Joel took care of it on their end. The time between both occurances was less than 3 weeks. Odd.

Just got it back last week and have ben shooting it well.

rjd
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I've got a Diamond/Bowtech Hush kit and a STS rearmount on my Slayer. Comes with a set of string leaches,limb dampeners and a bowjax for the cable slide rod. I put the string leaches on the cables cause I already had cats whiskers on the string. The hush kit took alot of the noise out . But I think the most help came from the STS. Now I just hear a little thud , Buddy can't believe the differance in noise since we started adding all this .

Oh yea have you checked to make sure EVERY screw ,nut and bolt is tight? Might be something that simple.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Good point. I'm going to batten down the hatches. I've got the CCS and wonder if noise is coming from that also. The STS makes solid contact with the string at rest and I assume it works efficiently when the string impacts it. I'll definitely add limbsavers, but also think I will emulate Hutch~N~Son's bow and add silencers to the string, cables, etc... I think my stabilizer is solid as it was suggested to me by a fellow Martin shooter who also owned a MOAB.

I've found that it is not so easy to employ Black Ops or stealth techniques on a whim.

HawgEnvy
02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
also, you could put moleskin between the sight/riser, rest/riser, quiver mount/sight.

LMJii
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Another solid idea. I'll do that with my "batten down the hatches" routine. Thanks.

Money Man
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I found a bad stabilizer and loose pendulum sight by holding the grip and hitting the limbs with the palm of my other hand. I worked from top to bottom and it helped replicate vibrations, and isolate the sounds.

HawgEnvy
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I've also noticed some string buzz sometimes come from "string leeches", peep sights. Tie them in tightly. Plucking the string helps isolate the irritating vibes. Rubber washer between the stabilizer and riser...teflon tape on threads of all the screws. Quiets and prevents loosening. It gets tedious but I hate little noises. Kinda like dashboard rattles in my truck.

Lung Buster
03-01-2011, 05:25 AM
I put on the cat whiskers like the links show and threw on a x coil by limbsaver they made a big difference on my bone hunter and I have the limbsavers for my limbs on the way!

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I put on the cat whiskers like the links show and threw on a x coil by limbsaver they made a big difference on my bone hunter and I have the limbsavers for my limbs on the way!

Good to hear.

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Kinda like dashboard rattles in my truck.

Nothing worse than a rattle in a truck,even the smallest:mad:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Nothing worse than a rattle in a truck,even the smallest:mad:
OH NO ANOTHER THING HE DOESN'T LIKE!!!!:eek:

HUTCH:cool:

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
OH NO ANOTHER THING HE DOESN'T LIKE!!!!:eek:

HUTCH:cool:

Still hate onions more:DCan't beleive you would reck a perfectly good hotdog with them too AAHHHH.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Yea, I know poor onions. Wreck them with the hot dog!:eek:

elkslayer4x5
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Life
Nothing worse than a rattle in a truck,even the smallest

OH NO ANOTHER THING HE DOESN'T LIKE!!!!

HUTCH

I'm with him on the rattling truck.:(