PDA

View Full Version : Quiver Question

cbullian
02-28-2011, 03:31 AM
I have recently got back in to bow hunting again after 17 years. I am setting up a new bow. I bought a martin bone hunter, whisker biscuit rest, hitman 3 sight, was debating between the fast 4 quiver or the 2x4. I was told to go with a 2 piece quiver for carbon arrows because of less vibration. I am basicly starting from scratch, shooting release for the first time, and first for carbon arrows too. So I have to reteach my self all over again. But it is definately worth it. Thanks to all.

HawgEnvy
02-28-2011, 04:47 AM
the most vibration free quiver I've found is the Alpine sof'lok. I use the 5 arrow. Holds arrows secure and has a rubber mount.

Spiker
02-28-2011, 04:57 AM
I have 3 of the Fast 4's and they are a great quiver.!!!
I had (have) 2 of the 2x4's and both of them cracked where the pinch bolt clamps the top onto the mounting post after about a month of use.

Martin - - - PLEASE build us a Fast 6 quiver.!

RLW
02-28-2011, 06:05 AM
.......Martin - - - PLEASE build us a Fast 6 quiver.!
I'll second that........definitely would try a Fast 6 if they came out

I current use the Alpine Soft-lock 5 arrow size on my Bengal. It's vibration free as mentioned above and light.
The mounting bracket is a bit large, not that it really matters much.
And speaking of mounting bracket, don't smash the quiver into the hillside if you slip in mud as the rubber quiver mounts may rip loose from the screws holding it to the bracket.........not that I would know this from experience :o

Ehunter
02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
I have 3 of the fast 4 quivers on my bows. I like the fact they are one of the few quivers that will hold a small diameter arrow like I use. I always take the quiver off when shooting though, so basically any quiver is just a good way to haul arrows for me.

ElkSlayer
02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Some like a bow mounted quiver some dont...depending on what side of the fence you are standing..will make the choice for you.. If you can Handle the exta weight, balance being a bit off go with the two piece bow mounted. If not then a quick disconect is the ticket for you..... Personaly I use a low bow mounted 2 piece...while My father has a removable type that he cant wait to tear off any chance he gets

elkslayer4x5
02-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Some like a bow mounted quiver some dont...depending on what side of the fence you are standing..will make the choice for you.. If you can Handle the exta weight, balance being a bit off go with the two piece bow mounted. If not then a quick disconect is the ticket for you..... Personaly I use a low bow mounted 2 piece...while My father has a removable type that he cant wait to tear off any chance he gets

True dat! :D

cbullian
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Thank you to all. this has been helpfull. I think i might go with the fast 4, , is it fairly easy to detach?

Spiker
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Push the button and slide it off.

Atavio
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Prefer a back quiver stilll, but I do like my Vortex-6 quiver from new dawn archery. Quiet, quick, simple. Yes, a tad bit heavier than your plastic and carbon quivers, but more rugged, and I'm about solid construction and reliability over featherweight and fragile. Can take it off with a flip of a switch when needed, and also there is a cover which encloses all of your arrows whether the quiver is attached to the bow or not; can even sling the quiver with cover over your back or wherever you leave it your arrows will be protected. My brother hates my quiver though, at least that's what he says.. But he's just jealous because he spent twice as much for a different manufacturers quiver (not going to mention any names), and his quiver mount broke (supposedly the strongest if not most important part of a quiver) during installation. You know it's sad but true!!!!!!

Rockyhud
03-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Another to consider is the Kwikee Kwiver Combo. It's a detachable 4-arrow, much like the fast 4. I've had the same one for the past 3+ years and it's still almost like new in all regards, meaning it's very rugged. It's also very quiet - never had any noise come from it. I also like that it has two arrow grippers and handles "regular" size and small diameter shafts.

cyclepath
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I guess I've never understood a 4 or 5 or 6 arrow quiver if they go that far. I think they look nice to show off your arrows on the bow but that's about it. You usually only get 1 shot, maybe 2 if you miss bad enough, but can't see lugging the extra weight around. They also have a better chance of getting caught up on something. I just use a little 3 arrow quiver myself, but only to get the arrows to where I am going. Everyone has their own opinion about this, nobody is wrong with what they use. It works for them and that's what counts.

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I guess I've never understood a 4 or 5 or 6 arrow quiver if they go that far. I think they look nice to show off your arrows on the bow but that's about it. You usually only get 1 shot, maybe 2 if you miss bad enough, but can't see lugging the extra weight around. They also have a better chance of getting caught up on something. I just use a little 3 arrow quiver myself, but only to get the arrows to where I am going. Everyone has their own opinion about this, nobody is wrong with what they use. It works for them and that's what counts.

I have a 3 and 6 Kwikee and always use the 3.Less bulk on the side of my bow.Take it off when I get in my stand.

SL

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I use a Grayling 4 arrow quiver it is small quiet, light and has a broadhead tightener built in the cover. It twists off easily and was less that $30. dollars. Comes in many camo's

HUTCH:cool:

NuttyNative
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I have a 3 and 6 Kwikee and always use the 3.Less bulk on the side of my bow.Take it off when I get in my stand.

SL
I have three of the 3 arrow and one 6 arrow Kwikee's. Use the 3's way more than the 6. Very light & small, easy to stow in or on your pack.

RLW
03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I guess I've never understood a 4 or 5 or 6 arrow quiver if they go that far. ..........
They go to at least 8. The Martin quiver I have on my '96 Firecat is an 8 arrow quiver. I never completely filled it, but liked an 8 arrow size in so I could space them out a bit more and this one keeps flatter to bow for a little better balance than some compact ones.

That attached picture shows a little more than what I use to typically carry.........in this case I had 4 camo hunting arrows (normally carry 3) and two older arrows I used for whacking grouse for dinner. Which I have been know to lose or break after missing or blowing thru a bird.

Where or how you hunt may decide on person chooses. On this hunt the main focus was elk, but deer, bear, rabbit and grouse were all open. It was possible to get a chance at more than one animal during the day. (matter of fact, my nephews were after elk not 1/2mile behind me when I took this buck.)
Had I missed I'd been down to 3 arrows. Had I missed again or taken it, I'm down to 2, and still with a chance for a shot at something else on the way out back to camp. Could have stumbled climbing the mountain draws and broke a nock on one, etc.

Guess I just carry extra arrows because things can happen way back off the road on Western hunts....may have to fend off the dang wolves while packing meat out :)
For me the additional arrows are just a little extra insurance. And each arrow only adds roughly another 1oz so it's not that big a deal

Rockyhud
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
RLW covers a lot of the reasons I use a 4-arrow quiver while hunting in the west. My style of hunting is typically on the ground, spot-and-stalk/still hunting, so I'm out and about pretty much all day long. His examples covered several scenarios in which a person might have a need for more than 1-3 arrows which definitely applies to me and how I hunt. As has been said many times before, each to his own and what works best.

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
i went with the cheepest quick disconect i could find,i figure it just holding my arrows and it does that very well.really i did not want to spend a grip of money.dicks is ware i got it.20$.tru-glow 4 arrow quiver is what i got.cheep,e-z on and off.i like to set it to the side when i make my shots but thats just me.

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I've got a TruGlo 5 arrow thats either on the bow when I'm on the bike or on my pack when I'm on foot. Back in my recurve days I had a Bear 8 arrow that I once emptied at a herd of feral goats, had one arrow left at days end when the big billy stood broadside at 45 yds, and I still remember that black and brown sob watching the arrow come and ducking under it, 8 broken arrows and wounded pride, I collected the last saveable Bear razor head and went home. Is it any wonder that I one day ended up with a Martin 10 arrow super quiver? Still have it. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Martin10arrow.jpg

cyclepath
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
:eek: I don't even own 10 arrows!

ElkSlayer
03-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I had one of them too, had it full up too , on some hunts.. never did empty it;) may be why i use the a low bow mounted 6 today.. only has 5 in it and more to refill back in camp... last thing i want, is to be is low on arrows because of..... fall , broken on other game , some bozo tossed his gear bag on my quiver , etc ( not that it ever happend :cool: I carry a bozo tag :mad:)

But soon as you say OH it will never happen IT does...bought a new fishing pole one time, 1st trip out uncle steps into the boat right on the tip "snap" out of the 5 pole's he found the only new one :eek:

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
bought a new fishing pole one time, 1st trip out uncle steps into the boat right on the tip "snap" out of the 5 pole's he found the only new one :eek:

Should have bought an Ugly Stick:D

elkslayer4x5
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Shoulda hit Him with the ugly stick! Or maybe you should have held his beer while he got in the boat. And just how many bozo's where in that boat, since you mentioned 5 poles? :D

Spiker
03-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I've got a TruGlo 5 arrow thats either on the bow when I'm on the bike or on my pack when I'm on foot. Back in my recurve days I had a Bear 8 arrow that I once emptied at a herd of feral goats, had one arrow left at days end when the big billy stood broadside at 45 yds, and I still remember that black and brown sob watching the arrow come and ducking under it, 8 broken arrows and wounded pride, I collected the last saveable Bear razor head and went home. Is it any wonder that I one day ended up with a Martin 10 arrow super quiver? Still have it. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Martin10arrow.jpg

For a dozen years or more I used nothing but Martin Super Quivers fully loaded when I went hunting. Here when season is open you can have tags for 1 deer 1 elk 1 bear 1 turkey, 4 grouse per day and unlimited coyotes.
Last year I wanted to lighten up all I carry so I just used a Martin Fast 4 (great quiver!).
One afternoon I trashed 3 arrows on grouse (I love grouse on the campfire) and then - got a shot at a buck.
Thank God I made a good shot because I had no more arrows.
I wont be going back to the woods again in the fall without 8-10 arrows! :D

elkslayer4x5
03-05-2011, 08:29 AM
My Martin Super Quiver is an old one, was on an old Martin Lynx. Does Martin still makes these quivers?

archerx7
03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
My Martin Super Quiver is an old one, was on an old Martin Lynx. Does Martin still makes these quivers?

They sure do...part# 3902N