PDA

View Full Version : What broad heads are you using?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
What brand of broad head are you using? What have you used and didn't like?

Hutch:cool:

ElkSlayer
02-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Back in My younger days, got a small box in the mail.. It was a promo BH a muzzy 4 balde..That thing was wicked looking and sharp...came with an ad showed one burried in to a Bone. I was sold... I have always used them.
I did pick up some crimson talons last year, was impresed with them after son in law made a bad hit on a spike... Hour latter I had it tracked down :cool:

gravedigger
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
just speeking for my self but its muzzy all the way,3 or 4 blade.when they say bad to the bone,they meen bad to the bone.i did however pic up some wally world realtree broad heads.not sharp and a wast of money.but it was only 10 dollars for six of them

gibson 787
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Muzzy 3 blade 4 me 2.

parttimr
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Leaving Thunderhead 125's after many years and trying to decide between Slick Trick 100 Mags or the Muzzy 3 blade 100's. Guess I better decide soon though for practice purposes.

Rangerj
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Used Ramcats and Grim Reapers last season. Before that I always used Satellite. I will continue to use the Ramcats and the Reapers.

NuttyNative
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Shuttle T-Lock & 3 blade Muzzy's, love them. Could never get Thunderheads to fly consistant.

elkslayer4x5
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
I use 100 grn 3 blade Muzzys, tough broadhead, easy to take apart, resharpen, and ya get 6 of 'em for $33. Way back, liked the bear razor heard as a two blade, sucked when using the bleeders, also tried a Tru-Flight Ultra Lite 4 blade. aluminum ferrel, steel point and blades 115 grn. Had to constantly tighten the head as it tended to loosen, blades would fall out. The blade slid in a grove cut into the ferrel until the tip of the blade was under the steel tip, when all blades where in place a small ring sliped over the little tail end of the blades. Held togather when tightened to the insert. IMO, a pos.:rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Fourblade.jpg

gravedigger
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I use 100 grn 3 blade Muzzys, tough broadhead, easy to take apart, resharpen, and ya get 6 of 'em for $33. Way back, like the bear razor heard as a two blade, sucked when using the bleeders, also tried a Tru-Flight Ultra Lite 4 blade. aluminum ferrel, steel point and blades 115 grn. Had to constantly tighten the head as it tended to loosen, blades would fall out. The blade slid in a grove cut into the ferrel until the tip of the blade was under the steel tip, when all blades where in place a small ring sliped over the little tail end of the blades. Held togather when tightened to the insert. IMO, a pos.:rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Fourblade.jpg

ware do you get thouse for 33$.cheepest i found was 37 for 3 blade 100 grane

Speedykills
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Now im using Muszzy mx3,killed last years buck with it,massive hole ran 50yds piled up,very good BH.
Worst for me was a 2 blade Magnus stinger.Only thing i didnt like was lack of blood trail,but they are very well made.

Money Man
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Wasp Boss Bullet 100's, need a deer to get in the way of one to decide if I will continue.

archerx7
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Slick Trick 100 standards......wicked sharp out of the package, can't count how many times I've cut myself putting them together :eek: and they fly like field points. Also use G5 Montecs because they fly like field points and can be easily resharpened. Usually carry a Rage 2 blade in the quiver also since fall turkey season here runs during deer season.

elkslayer4x5
02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
ware do you get thouse for 33$.cheepest i found was 37 for 3 blade 100 grane

Lancaster Archery catalog. :cool:

longdrawdan
02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
been using TR rocket aerohead 75grn. mini blaster 3's since "04".never had a problem with them! I used NAP spitfires and had them not open on deer. try explaining a round hole in a deer during bow season to a game warden!won't use them ever again.:eek:

gravedigger
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
since were on the topic of broadheads.has anyone ust the muzzy mx3.i see i has a wider cuting diamiter.but how does it fly.will it still be tru at 50 yards.or is it a 30 yard treestand broadhead.i walk and stalk.

Rockyhud
02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
After reading pretty much all the arrow lethality reports published by Dr Ed Ashby I decided to try out the Grizzly broadheads he touted as being the top or always near the top for penetration and bone breaking capability, allowing the broadhead to reach the vitals more reliably than most. After shooting these I've been able to confirm almost all that he said they do. The only thing I haven't had the opportunity to do yet is put them through an animal - the reason being I just switched to them last summer and only called in and saw spike bulls last fall and couldn't shoot them (not enough antler points). I can tell you though they fly VERY well (very accurate) and cut a spiral wound channel just like he and others have observed. The only downside is they are somewhat hard to get sharp initially, but once done they hold a very good edge and are nearly indestructible.

If you aren't familiar with the good doctor you can check out his many field test reports that he's published over the years from here (http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/). They are well worth the time as he's spent close to 30 years testing all types of broadheads, arrows, arrow weights and combinations of different weights and FOC by shooting into live and just killed African game animals of all types and sizes. He's recorded his findings in about as scientific a manner as a person could do so as to not induce bias.

rock
03-01-2011, 04:07 AM
i used rockets stellheads 100gr for years ran out, then rage two blade 100gr for one week did not like them at all ,then back to what i started off hunting with 100gr 3blade muzzys.. one i would like to try is slicktricks 100gr

HawgEnvy
03-01-2011, 04:10 AM
started out w GK Deadhead 100gr. Very tough,good flight,killed many deer and squirrel. Hard to find now,though. 100gr Muzzy 3 blade,could never get to fly well for practice so I never used them for huntin. Wasp Hammer SST's. Tough w good flight,great blood trail,many deer killed. 100gr Steel Force 2blade, not so tough,dart like flight,reasonably priced,extremely sharp out of the pkg. Thinking of trying them again.killed a few deer. Thunderhead 100gr,good flight w tuning,broken blades and bent ferrule after penetration. Blood trail weak. Magnus 2blade(Nuge blades). Quite tough but sometimes curls from shoulder hits. Good flight w minor tuning. Marginal blood trail but HUGE hole on last seasons deer. Was actually accused by my two brothers,dad,and brother-in-law as well as co-workers of using my 12g pump(anothe pic for A.S. To post?) Carbon Express Mayhem EXT 100gr 3blade,opened pkg, shot into target and had blades break on third shot. CX made it right by seng me a free pkg but not sure I'll hunt w them. Picked up some NAP Nitrons for $15/3pk(Walmart clearance) very sharp,minor planing,However...my bow wasn't properly tuned at that point either. Also in 100gr 3blade. Further practice will determine usage.

now, I was checking out the RamCats yesterday. What's you review of those?

Ehunter
03-01-2011, 04:10 AM
For my Moab, Slick Trick 100 gr. mags or Shuttle T-locks. Both fly great, and get great penetration. For my Firecat, I shoot 100 gr. Rage 2 blade. Haven't been able to get fixed blades to fly well out of it so far. Still working on it though. For turkey hunting, I use a Mini-Max 3 blade expandable 100gr. Huge diameter, and puts alot of shock on the bird when hit. Definitely puts them down where you hit them, if hit well.

Lung Buster
03-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Three blade 125 grain thunderheads love them I have only lost two deer In the last 19 years and both were questionable shots!

bfisher
03-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Way back in the day----way back, I started with the old Bear Razorheads. Then switched for the replaceable blade technology using Savora heads. Now this was before I knew anything about bow tuning and these things flew all over the place. Keeping them within a 4' pattern was a matter of luck. Then Savora came out with the swept back blades which helped a lot, plus I began to learn about tuning.

Then there was Satellite with, oh, so many parts. These found the trash can quick. Then there was Razorback 5 heads with the blades molded into the rotating ferrule (142gr). Had a two year stint with Anderson 245 magnums, a really wicked 1 1/2" cut. Used various Wasp heads as I got them free, but lost a blade or two a couple times after contacting bone. I just loved the thought of sticking my hands inside a deer knowing there was a razor blade in there somewhere.

Next was InnerLoc, both 75gr and 100gr, which I got for free when I repped for the company in 2003. They're a very precision machined head and similar to Muzzy in that the blades lock in very securely. They almost always screw on and align well with the shaft so there's less messing around with that. I do like the idea that I can spin check them and leave them on their respective shafts and change blades without having to remove or even loosen them, which ensures the integrity of that alignment. These are what I still have on my hunting arrows today,but do have to admit that the fire has burned out for hunting so they don't see much shooting any more.

I still have a few of each laying around somewhere, but lord know where.

RLW
03-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Currently using a Wasp Hammer SST 100gr. Don't know how it performs on big game yet, but it flies very nice for me......matter of fact, just was shooting one not 3hrs ago and it's hitting right in there with my fld point.

A previous head I really liked out of my old bow and used for a few years, was the brown Cabela's Laser Pro Mag, 125gr. Don't even see those listed at Cabela's this year.

One I tried couple years ago that I did not like was Cabela's Laser Supreme 100gr w/locking collar. The blades on the ones I had were slightly loose after tightening the collar and I never did get them to fly well.

Others I used in the distant past were Bear Razorhead and a Savora like bfisher those mentioned, 2 or 3 Rocky Mtn heads (one at 145gr), and a couple Satellites.........really can't say I miss any of them.

Brem
03-01-2011, 05:45 AM
When I started hunting with a bow at 12 or 13 I shot a 45# bear recurve. My dad made my arrows, big heavy cedar shafts with 5 in stripped feathers and glue on Bear razorheads, man they looked like a spear to young eyes. Stuck a big fat six point that first year, thought I was the next howard hill. My first compound was a Golden Eagle. It was a magnisium riser about 45" long and heavy, I was bigtime and got some easton XX75s cause thats what chuck adams shot. My dad was a fan of leading edge heads so I was too right. I bought the Hoyt Bow Bullets, 145 grs and SHARP. they lasted me several years.
I joined the navy at 17 and was out of archery for 20 yrs until a year and a half ago I bought a cheetah package and found this group of fine people. Since then I went to the Firecat and now the AX. Still a fan of the leading edge heads so I bought the Montec G5 CS's, they look like those old Bow Bullets. This year I hope to see how they perform.

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Grim Reapers and G5 montecs.

polaris754
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
rage 2 blade fer me werks great !!!!!!!!!!:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I use Carbon Express fixed F-15's. They shoot like darts.

HUTCH:cool:

bigredhunter00
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Using epek xc3 and f-15 mechs, but will probably use the epeks hunting, did a few tests and the epeks leave a gaping hole while the f-15s left a 1 1/2" x1/8" slot.

elkslayer4x5
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I prefer the 3 bladed hole over a 2 blade slot even thought 2 blade are said to penatrate better, not like it makes much difference with the bows we shoot!
Nice to see here you here bigredhunter00, enough of us martintech guys over on Broadhead.com to bring you over here...:D

ezbite
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
rage 2 blade fer me werks great !!!!!!!!!!:)

what he said:p

bigredhunter00
03-02-2011, 06:27 AM
yeah im surprised how many people out there actually use martins. Over in at it seems like im the only one in the chat that uses one besides my wife. Ive got no complaints with my maritn and prolly in 20 years i may get a new one. Just one question, i checked out martins site and didnt see the bengal on it any more. Did it get renamed or discontinued?

GR8RALLY
03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Started using Crimson Talons, which never let me down in harvesting a deer, but they were less accurate then their field tips. So, in spring of 2010 started using the Epek-3's which can be used as an field tip all in one. Enjoyed that fact, but i soon found out in the first couple of days of archery season, they seldom gave full pass throughs, making it difficult to track my deer. After 2 weeks and losing two of my four deer i shot, a buddy gave me a couple of broadheads he uses. Harvested 8 deer using them and highly recommend them, the NAP Spitfires. Funny thing is, he dislikes them? Go figure, all personal choice i guess...lol. Just picked up a Barnett crossbow at the PA Expo, they also recommend the NAP Spitfires for their xbows.

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 07:42 AM
yeah im surprised how many people out there actually use martins. Over in at it seems like im the only one in the chat that uses one besides my wife. Ive got no complaints with my maritn and prolly in 20 years i may get a new one. Just one question, i checked out martins site and didnt see the bengal on it any more. Did it get renamed or discontinued?

Its called Ridge Hunter now! :)
Over on AT, seems no one talks about what they shoot unless its one of the top 3 names, even though the board is sponsered by Martin....go figure

CLT Bluesman
01-22-2014, 08:08 PM
I use Wasp Cam Lok, 4 blades, vented blades, They stopped making them years ago. I found some stainless blades on E-bay this year, because the old carbon blades got rusted, and would not clean up and I did not trust them to cut. They are .015 thick. I killed a deer this year. They seem to fly great and I have almost 2 dozen of them. I got them in about 1982 or thereabouts. They cleaned up real nice with a little WD-40, and the new blades, they are fine. The Wasps cut meat, why switch?
Bluesman

wscywabbit
01-22-2014, 08:26 PM
I've tried a few different types but seem to always come back to the trusty Muzzy 3 blades... they just work.

ElkSlayer
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM
I was Given some muzzy 4blade 100gr. I need to try out in the spring.. be out of the Recurve most likely , Compound has the trusty 125 muzzy 3 blades. I see no reason to change

bfisher
01-23-2014, 05:58 AM
You guys do realize this thread is a couple years old, right?

naptime
01-23-2014, 07:30 AM
It's alive!! It's alive!!

Don B
01-23-2014, 08:00 AM
I tryed the 100 gr. 3 blade Muzzy heads for a while at 3-D targets, then I tryed the 100 gr. 3 blade G 5 heads. The G5's flew and grouped alot better.
I won the Ca. State Broadhead Chanmpionship with them.
They are all I shoot now.
Don.

Tosi
01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Slick Trick Mag 100g Fly like field tips out to 80yards.

Sonny Thomas
01-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Barry, just like rehashing days gone by only sooner ;)

Two worst fixed blade broadheads I ever tried were the 100 gr Thunderheads and G5s. The Thunderheads, I wasn't all that tuning smart at the time, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though I won't try them again to find out. The G5s, them, grrrrrrrr, clunkers. I had the 80 or 85 gr G5s for my wife. Didn't make any difference whether she shot them from her bow or crossbow they went where they wanted to go. Same with me with the 100 gr G5s, I couldn't get them to fly like I wanted. Almost forgot a third clunker, the Eastman cut on contact, tiny blade tipped. Wife shot a deer and the tiny blade curled back and the arrow bounced back. Sent it to Eastman and never heard word.

Wiser, I think, my Hoyt MagnaTec (only 14 years old) will now shoot any broadhead within reason - all the bows I have, it's dang hard to just retire my MagnaTec. I used my Pearson TX4 for reasons Barry would know.

My all time favorite is the NAP Shock Wave 100 gr mechanical broadhead and 30 plus deer says it works for me. It shoots fixed broadheads just as well...out to what I practice, 40 yards. I used the 100 gr NAP Braxe broadhead on the 11 point buck I wrote up here. The year before my wife bought some KMart RealTree cheapos, like $10 for 3. She got two kinds, low and regular profile. They both killed deer and the arrow went right where I aimed. Okay, I tested all before I used them for the real deal. Just pin point accurate out to 40 yards. ??? The Braxe I wrote up still might be here somewhere, maybe.
/
Wicked it is.

CLT Bluesman
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I knew it was an old post, but I breathed new life into it. Broadheads are a timeless topic. Us Indians have been talking broadheads since we first struck stone on stone. In fact my old Wasps are almost as old! I do have a couple old Savoras, the swept wing three blade. Maybe I could resurrect them. They were my very first ones in 1981.

Tosi
01-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Barry bet you and me wish we had those years back

wscywabbit
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
those are some wicked looking blades on those brax Sonny! I've tried the Muzzy MX3 and MX4 blades, couldn't get either to fly right. I also ran the Carbon Express F15 fixed blade and they flew awesome, but were spendy and didn't seem to hold up that well. The original Muzzy 3 blade has always flown well for me, if they break the blades are easy to replace, and they don't break the bank. Although, I may try Carbon Express's ne XT series.... I don't know too many choices LOL!

hawkdriver55
01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
I have been a Magnus 4 blade buzzcut junky for awhile. But this year a co worked bought me some Trophy Ridge steel head mech broadheads. I had never used them before. I took a small deer with them and they made an impressive hole.

Mike G
01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
I've been using the Rocket Hammerhead 3 blade 2" cut for about the last 15 years. For a couple years in there I used the 4 blade Hammerheads until they stopped manufacturing them. A rep from Rocket gave me a pack of the 4 blades at a Turkey and Deer Expo to try and wow what a hole. When I couldn't find any around here I called them and the Rep said they weren't going to continue them so he sent me two more packs. I used them on turkeys and whitetails. Now I'm back to the 3 blade heads and they work for me so I just don't care to change. Why fix what isn't broke?

Ehunter
02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
One newer head I'd recommend to anyone wanting to try something new is the Ramcat. They fly really true, very consistent from head to head, and cut a mean hole. The old version you had to tighten the blade screws every couple of shots, but supposedly they have fixed that problem with the newer heads. One thing that amazed me was, no matter what position you put the blades in, as long as they were all the same, the head flew true. Makes me think that with the blades forward, it would make one heck of a turkey head too.

droppixel
02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Don't think I've responded to this thread before ... but G5 T3s are in my quiver right now and probably will be for quite a while.

GB3YO
02-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Muzzy Mx 3s for me for last 7 years they fly just like my field points

bob cooly
02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Just like fishing lures, if they didn't make something new, no one would be in business. Oh I've got 5 or 6 favorites to. Now it's a Muzzy 125 grain Phantom with the bleeders out, 29" Gold Tip XT Hunters and 4" shield cut helical fletched feathers. To 40 yards they are the ones. And no I can not find a plain old Colorado spinner to save my soul. Used to pay like 39 cents for one and keep it polished with cigarette ashes, the bomb, Trout like nicotine to.

tubemkr
02-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Slick Tick Magnum 100's and Cutting tip 3 blade Rages. I took 5 deer this past season and still have every broadhead I started the season with. What a great season it was.

lemons87
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
i use 100 gr slick trick mags, they are very sharp and leave a slug hole that is garaunteed to leave a blood trail. they also fly just like my field tips.

Spiker
02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Still just these...

Sonny Thomas
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
I ain't tried that, fletching a arrow with a drum.... What glue ya use?

tubemkr
03-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Lol Sonny, and did you notice all the notches that put in the blades? :)

johnestmon
07-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Done good with Muzzy's on mine. I also shoot a Parker just as nwiles above.

elkslayer4x5
07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Done good with Muzzy's on mine. I also shoot a Parker just as nwiles above.

Wlecome to the site! :)

elcid99
07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
100 grain Reapers ....
Hard for me not to shoot a head that has the same POI as a field tip.

weldorj81
07-19-2014, 12:52 AM
125 montecs here! Just a solid head and no flight problems.

thwackaddict
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Killed 7 deer with the same arrow and thunderhead 100. I have used wasp sst , Rocky Mountain fast flights, thunderhead 100s and have killed a lot of deer with each.

I now have rage hypo 100. But I haven't killed a deer yet so not sure if I will keep using them or go back to the old standbys.

Speedykills
08-30-2014, 07:56 PM
This year im using 100grn DRT......

Rangerj
08-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Grim Reapers and Ramcats. Both 100 Grain.