PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Shadowcat cable rubbing

buckhunt
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
:confused: My new shadowcat cable rubs the cable attachment post when drawing back. I can adjust a little with the cable guard but this puts the guard in the full out position and puts lots of torque on the bow and still the cable doesn't clear all the way. Has started to rub off the serving. Anyone else had this problem?

bfisher
03-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Can you post a picture? There are a couple guys on here that have ShadowCats and may be able to help.

CarlosII
03-01-2011, 03:36 AM
any pictures?

buckhunt
03-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Hey guys, thanks for getting back. Here is a photo of the cable. You can see the serving is fuzzy where it is rubbing off. I have adjusted the cable guard out as far as it will go and it still rubs, and thats putting a lot of torque on the bow.
Anybody see this?

archerx7
03-01-2011, 04:31 AM
1.5 cams set to a longer draw length ? I know I saw someone else on here that had the same issue, can't recall how they fixed it though.

Spiker
03-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Yeah - looks like your draw length mod and draw stop are set wrong.
Looking at the pic - the cable on the left is already at the very end of the module but the drawstop is nowhere near the limb yet.
The cam rotation should stop before the cable (on the right) reaches the post.

archerx7
03-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Looking at your photo, 1st thing I see is the draw stop is not set correctly for the mod setting, where you are in the draw cycle the stop should have already contacted the limb.

Check your string and cable lengths and get them set to factory specs if they aren't already, then get the cams timed correctly and get the draw length set so the draw stop contacts the limb at the same time the cables fully seat in the flat part of the mod track.

Once all this is done, try rotating the cable rod in as far as possible while still allowing fletch clearance.

bfisher
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I see the same thing. Particularly the mention about the draw stop. As set right now it's allowing the bow to be drawn past the flat part of the module. When set correctly the cable on the right will not even reach the pin it's hitting.

It won't hurt to check the string/cable lengths, but the main problem is the draw stop.

Montalaar
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Your overdrawing. As already stated.

You need to change to a different module setting and you need also to set your drawstop to the right place. The cables are not meant to touch the module the whole way to the end. And worse: You can see the cable bending at the end of the mod where it leaves the module directing to the other Cam. This is just wrong.

Brem
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
im suprised that it hasnt derailed the cables

buckhunt
03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey all thanks for the info. so I will move the draw stop so that the cable doesn't get to the post..? In other words the draw stop and mod are set wrong.:eek:

bfisher
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
You could say that. Let's say that you were drawing the cable past the end of the module. The flat part of the module acts as a soft wall at full draw. The draw stop acts as a solid wall.

Moving the draw stop in accordance to the module setting is going to shorten how far you were drawing before. So if it's too short for you then you'll have to move the module and the stop to a longer setting.

b0w_bender
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah - looks like your draw length mod and draw stop are set wrong.
Looking at the pic - the cable on the left is already at the very end of the module but the drawstop is nowhere near the limb yet.
The cam rotation should stop before the cable (on the right) reaches the post.

I'm the one who had this problem. I posted it about 8 or 12 months ago. I think your mods and draw stop do need to be set correctly. However I think Martin just didn't test their cams at the longer draw lengths. I own 3 Shadow cats and they all have the same problem. I ended up grinding mine down and rounding them off. I also jacked the cable guard almost all the way out.

I might suggest that you buy trade for the longer 2.0 cams if you need a longer draw.

Montalaar
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
twisting the cables a bit can also take care of this problem.

On my CAT2-Cams the cables rubbed way past this cable post. After twisting the cables a bit and giving the cam a sligtly different rotation everything was gone...

Hm, better to say the least..

buckhunt
03-02-2011, 03:54 AM
So if I get the 2.0 cams, would that mean at my draw length 29'' the cam will never rotate to the post?

Spiker
03-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Try this first: Set both your modules in the #6 position. Then adjust the draw stop so it contacts the limb and stops the cam rotation at the point where the cables come off the modules 3/8"-1/2" from the end of the mod. (right about where the limb crosses the mod in your pick.
See if that puts your draw length right and stops the cable from contacting the post.

buckhunt
03-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I will give that a try as well.

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
If you do decide that you want the Cat 2 cams, here's a guy selling a set of 'em for $40 on AT

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1433934&highlight=martin

vkrules
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
changing to cat 2 cams is the only fix without grinding down the post. You can twist the cables ,rotate the cam and adjust the stop "till the cows come home" the draw won't go past 29 inch without hitting the post.In a local shop yesterday they are advertising the 1.5 as going to 29 only I guess that fixes the issue but doesn't help us who bought the bow as advertised as going to 30.

vkrules
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Just checked the specs. if you change the cams you will also need a new string and you should be able to use the same cables.

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
At least 3 string builders on this board, two of have a shop and Montalaar also makes strings. :)

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8936

archerx7
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I setup 2 - 2010's for a customer, both had the 1.5's set for 30", one was his indoor bow and the other was for IBO use. Initially, out of the box, they both had issues with the cables rubbing the post. After getting both in spec and playing around with the cable rod position we had clearance on both bows, wasn't much, but the cables did clear the post.

buckhunt
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Seems like a lot of you have had this happen. When I talked with Joel at Martin about it he had never heard of this. Maybe they should get a heads up so they can work on it.

vkrules
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Seems like a lot of you have had this happen. When I talked with Joel at Martin about it he had never heard of this. Maybe they should get a heads up so they can work on it.

Yeh that's the third time I've head "martin have never heard of this" Got to wonder why they have taken the trg sos off the 2011 bows.Don't get me wrong I like the bow it's one of the best finger bows I've tried, just don't like having the cable guard pulled right out to clear the peg.

buckhunt
03-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey archerx7, what do you mean getting the bow into specs? What specs. are you referring to?

archerx7
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey archerx7, what do you mean getting the bow into specs? What specs. are you referring to?

String and cable lengths, don't assume they are correct out of the box. And before anyone makes any comments.........., its not just Martin that ships bows with strings out of spec, their are at least 3 other companys that ship bows with strings out of spec as well as changing specs in the middle of a model year. When you make strings for a living, this makes life a bit complicated, trying to chase down all the correct specs.

I do have a different set of specs for the Shadowcat w/1.5's, than what is listed on the limbs. I'll dig through my files tomorrow and post them for anyone interested.

NuttyNative
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
String and cable lengths, don't assume they are correct out of the box. And before anyone makes any comments.........., its not just Martin that ships bows with strings out of spec, their are at least 3 other companys that ship bows with strings out of spec as well as changing specs in the middle of a model year. When you make strings for a living, this makes life a bit complicated, trying to chase down all the correct specs.

How very true. I spent two weeks trying to figure out why my brand new $1200 Oneida Kestrel was all over the place and would not stay in tune. Finally sent it to a dealer in Maine and it had the wrong string and cables on it directly from CPOneida. Presto chango and everything was so sweet.

vkrules
03-03-2011, 01:15 PM

I do have a different set of specs for the Shadowcat w/1.5's, than what is listed on the limbs. I'll dig through my files tomorrow and post them for anyone interested.

Be interesting to see,I've adjusted mine from one end to the other, making the draw from 1inch long to 1inch short( cam under rotated to cam over rotated)and then setting the module ,always with the same result.when actual draw length gets to 29 inch the cable hits the post ( actually i did manage to get an extra 1/4 inch with the cam under rotated and the module on the 29 inch position.And that was with the bow set at 2011 spec. Anyway I am hoping your right, but I just purchased that set of no 2 cams on archery talk, just in case.

archerx7
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
The alternate specs I have are, String 60" Cables 46.25 . these are for the 1.5 cams.

If you are switching from the 1.5's to the 2.0's, remember that you'll lose appox. 7-10#'s DW if you are using the same limbs.

vkrules
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I've got 70lb limbs and shoot 62 I'm covered.

vkrules
03-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Tried both set of specs still hits post.Anyone have any joy?