PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement

ElkSlayer
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Here are a few pictures, shows wild game anatomy.
Some were more graphic then others, I will post the more suited for all pic's;)

Google, Images.. search Elk ,Deer, Bear Anatomy for other pictures that are
not for small children..grate for the hunter :cool:

bfisher
03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Have you ever noticed that when you post a pic it shows very clearly that those "perfect" heart shots are nearly a miss. Love double lung shots. The heck with the heart.

Brem
03-01-2011, 04:00 AM
My daddy always taught me "broadside son, any other shot is too risky. Shoot them where they're biggest. Behind the shoulder 8 inches up."

Ehunter
03-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Barry, I have to agree. Double lung all the way. The one deer I shot in the heart was my biggest deer ever. Hit a little lower than I was wanting, but worked out fine. The thing I found odd was, he travelled just as far if not further than a good double lung hit. I know it was a good heart shot, since I found my fletching and about 2 inches of arrow still left in his heart. It was that old 3 beam non-typical I shot in '09. I think everyone should wait for a good broadside, or barely quartering away shot. No reason to rush a shot on a game animal.

HawgEnvy
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM
I like heart shots whenever possible. Hella blood trails and generally drop within 40yds. Otherwise it's double lung if I don't have a clear heartshot.

elkslayer4x5
03-01-2011, 07:39 AM
At last, the technical side of where to hit 'em. :D

alex
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
As you know i'm not a hunter so i hope you'll excuse the stupid question - What about the headshots? Won't an arrow in the head kill faster?

Brem
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
NO WAY, high risk of a miss, and even more it is an unethical shot as there is more of a chance that you would inflict a non lethal wound.

alex
03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
If the arrow slides on the skull?

Lung Buster
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Where did you find those? I would love to see the vitals on a big fat gobbler! I am going to bust a turkey this fall with my bow!

Arrow Splitter
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
NO WAY, high risk of a miss, and even more it is an unethical shot as there is more of a chance that you would inflict a non lethal wound.

Not when you're using a 30-06.:D:cool::D

A.S

bfisher
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
If the arrow slides on the skull?

Then you have a wounding hit. Still not ethical. Broadheads are not designed to break heavy bone. An arrow has enough momentum to break through rib bones. That's why the double lung shot is preferred. It's the largest vital area with the least amount of heavy bone.

Take a better look at some of the pics. A heart shot is very low and close to the knuckle of the leg bone. My bow always had a sticker which I attached to the inside of the upper limb. It stated "Stay Away From the Bone". To that end I've always made it a point to aim well behind the shoulder and half way up the body. The downward angle then gives a lower exit hole which creates a good blood trail and death within about 8 seconds.

A lot of times hitting the lungs and no bone produces little trauma to the animal and they often times don't even know they've been hit. Sometimes they can run up to aout 100 yards, but usually less. I've shot animals that died within 30 yards of my tree. They run a couple leaps and stop as if trying to figure out what startled them. Then they fall over.

whman
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Hello Alex,
You must also consider that the brain in most game animals is much smaller than you might suppose.....all in all, not a good place for an arrow. Your chances of inflicing a terrible wound that the animal might or might not die from immediately is very, very high. (It's also a much smaller target). Good question, though....

elkslayer4x5
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
As you know i'm not a hunter so i hope you'll excuse the stupid question - What about the headshots? Won't an arrow in the head kill faster?

I once shot a racoon that was raiding the garbage can, he moved as I shot, I hit him right above the hinge of his jaw, just below the ear, locked his mouth open, had to put another shot into him to finish him. Did a european mount with the Bear razor head still inbedded between jaw and ear, interesting mount, bad shot. :o

ElkSlayer
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Where did you find those? I would love to see the vitals on a big fat gobbler! I am going to bust a turkey this fall with my bow!

have you been here yet... http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8892

this sadly was the best pic i could find of a turkey.. took all from a google image search

ElkSlayer
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Then you have a wounding hit. Still not ethical. Broadheads are not designed to break heavy bone. An arrow has enough momentum to break through rib bones. That's why the double lung shot is preferred. It's the largest vital area with the least amount of heavy bone.

Just seen a picture the other day of a elk that was killed on a rifle hunt..when he cleaned up the skull he found a BH in the it..:eek:
Head shots are not the way to go...:(

I agree that a heart shot is almost a miss, but when including shot angle its not so bad. ;) I am tried an true a boiler room shooter. My plan is to take out both lungs an if i can get the top of the heart to, then all the better
last years deer was DRT with in 30yds last 10 was a slide down slope

Aim true an let your arrow fly it well find its mark, we all will eat an be happy

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Yup only good time for a headshot is in boxing:)Another good thread for the How -To forum;)

ElkSlayer
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks SL I aim to please...or to fill the freezer:D:D;)

alex
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys! I've seen some vids of bears shot in the head and was wondering about this.

Simple Life
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM

This may sound stupid,is there anything to hunt where you live?Like do you have any large game to hunt?Just curious.

SL

SonnyThomas
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I like heart shots whenever possible. Hella blood trails and generally drop within 40yds. Otherwise it's double lung if I don't have a clear heartshot.

Not always true. My aunt still has the heart of the first dear killed on the farm. A perfect X right through the center of the heart. Bear broadhead with bleeders. The buck cleared a 40 acre corn field before it dropped.

Rockyhud
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Another reason the double-lung shot is so effective that some hunters and non-hunters alike don't think of, and that's the fact that both lungs collapse and the animal can't breathe which helps keep them from going far after the shot. These shots also are going to cut blood vessels that will cause a rapid drop in blood pressure that will deprive the brain of oxygenated blood, thus causing it to stop functioning quick too.

ElkSlayer
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
thought i would drop this link in here .... You can print off targets... check it out.. they have all the big game Vitals too.

http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printable_targets-a/136.htm

alex
03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
This may sound stupid,is there anything to hunt where you live?Like do you have any large game to hunt?Just curious.

SL

Mainly wild hogs and less deer (different from those in North America, but i'm too lazy now to search the correct English name :o ). There are also brown bears, wolves and jackals but they can't be killed without a special permission.

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Mainly wild hogs and less deer (different from those in North America, but i'm too lazy now to search the correct English name :o ). There are also brown bears, wolves and jackals but they can't be killed without a special permission.

Aren't they red deer? Stags and hinds. 1st cousin to our elk. :)

alex
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Aren't they red deer? Stags and hinds. 1st cousin to our elk. :)

May be... We call them "noble deer" :)

Simple Life
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks.Just curious.

bfisher
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
a rapid drop in blood pressure that will deprive the brain of oxygenated blood, thus causing it to stop functioning quick too.

I've had this problem for years and I don't think anybody has double-lunged me. LOL

ElkSlayer
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I've had this problem for years and I don't think anybody has double-lunged me. LOL

Thats because your on the endangered species list..;):D:D way to valuable around here.

ElkSlayer
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
as you can see buy all this blue thats the shot to take..;)

Just keep away from that leg bone....sharpen them BH's up and go shoot some wild game:cool:

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Good looking bear there! Go Blue.:)

Double S
11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Very good info here. I'm a low Armpit shooter when it comes to Mule deer. It hasn't failed me yet. I might have to change up for Bear though and aim higher.

ElkSlayer
11-20-2011, 08:42 AM
oh yea lots of bone coverin the heart best shot for an archer is quarting slight away from shooter then go for the lungs at mid hight.. higher if in a tree stand... aim small

Spiker
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Me also. Neurocardiogenic Syncope. Drinking lots of water and eating lots of salt keeps it in check.
(being married to a cardiac nurse helps too ;))

Bo Hunter
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Not when you're using a 30-06.:D:cool::D

A.S

I've seen pictures and videos on youtube where hunters aimed for the head and didnt kill the animal. One in particular was a photo of a doe with her jaw barely hanging on her head. Very inhumane if you miss. Easier to make sure you got the shot in the boiler room, then they'll bleed out and die.

elkslayer4x5
12-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I've seen pictures and videos on youtube where hunters aimed for the head and didnt kill the animal. One in particular was a photo of a doe with her jaw barely hanging on her head. Very inhumane if you miss. Easier to make sure you got the shot in the boiler room, then they'll bleed out and die.

This is why ES and I made this post, wanting to show how much larger the lung shot is, they don't last long or go far with a pair of holes in their lungs. :)