PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a range finder?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Who uses a range finder and what kind?

HUTCH:cool:

NuttyNative
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't leave on a hunting trip without it, Nikon Prostaff 550. Don't use it for 3D though.

gibson 787
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Got a Bushnell Sport 450. I know they're not top of the range, but I've found it works very well in most situations.

I take it with me if I go for a jog or walk and just point it at various objects at various distances. On other days I don't take it with me and guess distance, then when I'm at the same spot and have it, I see how accurate I was. It has really helped me guage distances.

Lung Buster
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I use the bushnell VLR2 for hunting! It has come in handy quite a few times. Won't leave home with out it!

MLN1963
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Not yet but i will. I just got a Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC for Christmas.

Rockyhud
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I bought a Nikon Monarch 800 about a year and a half ago. Works quite well. I've repeatedly ranged "soft" targets out to 700+ yards and "hard" targets further yet. It doesn't have the angle calculator built in but I don't feel I really need it as I've never hunted from a tree-stand and don't have any inclination to do so (at least not at this time).

bigredhunter00
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
i also got a bushnell sport 450, that i inherited when my pops got a new one. He needed one to range 1000 yards plus and it would do it so he got the new one i got the old one Hey cant complain it was free and ill be hunting from a ground blind this fall.

gravedigger
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
i got a bushnell chuck adams arc bow mode and rifel mode on the way.it looks to be a nice set up.i have never used one befor.im perty good at judging distance but i want to be positive.ill let yall know how it works out.

ElkSlayer
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Nikon 440 .... never used one befor this one, found out I was sighting my rifle in for 140 not 100 we always just knew it was..oh well not like it ever matterd..lol
I always bust mine out soon as i get set up, sure is nice fuzzy fealing to look at a stump call it 27 slap the RF on it and read what you thought or close to it...:cool:

copterdoc
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I have bought three of them, but lost two!:(

The one I still have, is the Nikon Archer's Choice, but my favorite was my Nikon 440.

Ehunter
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I have a range finder, but only use it rifle hunting. For bow hunting, I have locators at known distances, trees, rocks, shrub, etc. I figure the less I have to carry in and mess with, the quieter I am and the less movement I make. For hunting over a field, I'll shove sticks in the ground at known distances.

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I've got a Leupold RX-ll, and am quick to use it, it's always with me, bow or rifle. Like Elkslayer, I play guess the yardage, and am pretty good at it, but depend on the Leupy. :D

mihunter
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
nikon 550 riflehunter w/id dont leave home without it

HawgEnvy
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I borrowed my brothers Bushnell yardage pro 400 to range objects in my yard and around my stands. When hunting I don't have a shot more than 35 yds in any direction. I tend to hunt in thicker areas such as swamps and creek bottoms where shots are sometime too close. But that's when it's most interesting. I use either one pin or two pins set @ 25 and 35yds.

SonnyThomas
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Bushnell Yardage Pro, supposed to be good on deer out to 200 yards. Use it mostly for setting up known distances for 3D and when practicing judging yardage. Used it after I put up my deer stands, but don't use it for hunting.

cyclepath
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I bought a cheep, used I-on optics range finder for last season. Marked alot of spots from my ground blind out to 50 yards, different colors for different yardages. Let a friend borrow it and haven't seen it since.

elkslayer4x5
03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
I bought a cheep, used I-on optics range finder for last season. Marked alot of spots from my ground blind out to 50 yards, different colors for different yardages. Let a friend borrow it and haven't seen it since.

Nice friend. :(

Skbengal
03-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I use the sport 450.I find it works great.I range my landmarks from the stand.It's all the rangefinder I need.

mudpig
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I've got a couple Bushnell Scouts

polaris754
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
yep yep i dont bow hunt without it thats a fact jack . :D

RLW
03-04-2011, 05:13 AM
I've had a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 for a long time. It's worked fine during most bowhunts, but after last fall, thinking I'm ready to upgrade.

My 3D shooting buddy went out to hike along with me on a quick rifle day hunt for deer last fall. Just after shooting light we spotted a nice little 2x2 mule deer that was up hill from the truck and perfect for the freezer.
We had plenty of time as it was feeding on an open sagebrush hillside, so decided to compare our rangefinders. His Leupold RX1000 ranged it at 246yds. My old Bushnell wouldn't even pick it up in the early light.........but my rifle did.

Think I've narrowed it down to angle compensating Bushnell or Nikon 550.

Rockyhud
03-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I have a range finder, but only use it rifle hunting. For bow hunting, I have locators at known distances, trees, rocks, shrub, etc. I figure the less I have to carry in and mess with, the quieter I am and the less movement I make. For hunting over a field, I'll shove sticks in the ground at known distances.

I came across this recently while searching for something I could use to make my laser rangefinder more accessible and at the same time make it less likely to lose because of forgetting where I placed it "in the heat of the moment". It also helps minimize movement. It's called the Range Snap - a simple device that clips to your bino strap or backpack strap to hold your rangefinder or whatever else. You can also use it for a multitude of other items.
http://jaciarchery.com/Range_Snap_uses.html

CaptJJ
03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I've had the Bushnell Legend for several years now, chose that model because it's waterproof. Use it to check distances in a new stand; don't really need it much, most shots I get are under 15 yds.

bb11
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I came across this recently while searching for something I could use to make my laser rangefinder more accessible and at the same time make it less likely to lose because of forgetting where I placed it "in the heat of the moment". It also helps minimize movement. It's called the Range Snap - a simple device that clips to your bino strap or backpack strap to hold your rangefinder or whatever else. You can also use it for a multitude of other items.
http://jaciarchery.com/Range_Snap_uses.html

Good find Rockyhud! And a reasonable price! thx!

bowgramp59
03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
i do , i have a bushnell 450 that works great, it is a little large in the hand and i plan on getting a smaller one. don't need the ark versions, only hunt from popup blinds.

Ray from Auburn
03-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Bushnell 450. use more for the practice sessions, but every now and then I'll take on a hunt.

Simple Life
08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Anybody try the Wild Game Innovations Halo series?

http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/laser-range-finders.html

HawgEnvy
08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Bushnell yardage pro 400. my brothers and i pass it back and forth. itake it out the first couple time of hunting a new area to get ranges to different things,like an odd tree stump or a large rock,etc. i get 2 ranges per shot angle. close range and max effective range. from a treestand,my 30yd pin is dead on at a 35yd target, 20yd pin for a 25yd target,and anything closer than 20yds i aim low.

RLW
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Anybody try the Wild Game Innovations Halo series?
http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/laser-range-finders.html

I was recently reading a lot of reviews and checking out several rangefinders. That was one I was interested in just due to the price, but couldn't find many good reviews out there......a couple I did find spooked me a bit, so I honest didn't give it much fair time at the store when I saw one.

But as an update to my post above, I just did upgrade from my old Bushnell Yardage Pro 400, to a new model Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA.
Pricey little thing, but I got a really good deal and really liking this unit after playing with it some. Very clear optics and solid build.
It's so called "bow" mode, correcting for angled shots, now ranges out to 125yds, changing to Line-Of-Sight reading past that.

polaris754
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
bushnell the way to go werks great fer me

Destroyer
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Simmons LRF600 ATAC rangefinder. Great 'lie' detector.

Robert58
08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000.

Sharxfan
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
A bushnell that was on clearance last year at Walmart. Can't remember the exact model.

Simple Life
08-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I was recently reading a lot of reviews and checking out several rangefinders. That was one I was interested in just due to the price, but couldn't find many good reviews out there......a couple I did find spooked me a bit, so I honest didn't give it much fair time at the store when I saw one.

I read some reviews from Dicks tonight and don't look promising,I guess I will go with a Bushnell.Thks RLW.

Double S
08-27-2011, 11:03 AM
I use an old Bushnell yardage Sport 450. A couple of years ago out of the blue another Bow hunter on another forum just Pm'ed me one day and asked if I wanted to have it. He read my post on one of the threads that Ive never used one. He was upgrading and didn't want it to sit around. It still works great and I'm still grateful. When I upgrade to a angle compensating rangefinder, I will do the same and give the Bushnell to another Rangefinder newbie. Pass it forward. Amen.

Destroyer
08-27-2011, 03:53 PM
When I upgrade to a angle compensating rangefinder, I will do the same and give the Bushnell to another Rangefinder newbie.

Very nice of you Double S, good karma! :D

Ehunter
08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Bushnell Scout 450. I range everything within my shooting range, and depending on the stand, I'll put a small pice of colored ribbon that corresponds with my sight pins on the trees at the given range. (Green 20 yard pin, green ribbon on 20 yard trees). It REALLY helps take away the "Was that tree 30 or 40 yards?" dillema. When hunting along open fields, I'll put small pieces of ribbon on a rod (piece of old coathanger usually), that corresponds with my sight pins, and just stick them in the ground. Alot easier to see that he's 3-4 yards from the 30 yard marker, than to guess that he's 34 yards out. I don't carry the rangefinder with me when I bow hunt, since everything is marked, and in the woods, I don't always have time to range an animal before he pops into sight.

Destroyer
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
It REALLY helps take away the "Was that tree 30 or 40 yards?" dillema.

Helps when setting up a temporary target range too. None of that 30 paces rubbish or about 30 yards, its 30 yards confirmed!