PDA

View Full Version : 2" or 4" vanes?

Lung Buster
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I am looking into buying some new arrows. I have always shot 4" vanes but I was wondering if it was beneficial to switch to 2" vanes? Just curious what you guys thought?

Arrow Splitter
03-02-2011, 02:49 PM
While some of it is personal preference, I have found that the overall flight of my arrows improved with 2 in. Blazers.:cool:

A.S

NuttyNative
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
While some of it is personal preference, I have found that the overall flight of my arrows improved with 2 in. Blazers.:cool:

A.S
X2, tighter groups for me. Some say they (blazer) are quieter too??? I can't notice it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I would have to agree with the rest. But I still might try feathers.;)

Hutch:cool:

ElkSlayer
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Try the Rayzr..son shoots them well

GR8RALLY
03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

A.S

Same here.

parttimr
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
2 inch blazers group great for me.

Simple Life
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Prefer 2".

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Last couple of years I've shot Bohning Blazers, but am switching to VaneTec HP's another 2" vane this year, as they a slightly shorter then Blazer ( blazer 5/8" HP 1/2" ) which will let me go back to standard axle length on my X rigged Slayer. Got blazer clearence by using the long axle on the bottom, but that lets then cables vibrate more. I rather have them touch, and dampen them selves. :)

cyclepath
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the norm is toward 2" vanes, although many still swear by feathers. I use feathers with my longbow, just gotta. I have been using the blazers but just switched over to the zeon fusion vanes, also 2" but more of a shield cut vane. Seem to group well, but haven't shot them outside yet, to cold.

SonnyThomas
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Try the Rayzr..son shoots them well

??? Bottom right hand arrow? Vane on backwards?

SonnyThomas
03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I am looking into buying some new arrows. I have always shot 4" vanes but I was wondering if it was beneficial to switch to 2" vanes? Just curious what you guys thought?

Probably more personal perference than anything. That and clearance issues.

I've tested quite a few 2" vanes and found they all get the job done. I perfer 2" Blazers, but NAP Twisters are a near duplicate.

HawgEnvy
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM

certainly looks that way. Good eye

ElkSlayer
03-02-2011, 07:37 PM

:confused: must be an Illusion :confused:
here they are not in a group ;) my son did some of these and the # stripe's

elkslayer4x5
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
'04 Martin Cougar 3 Mag nitrous X(4 sale)
'08 Martin Cheetah
'10 Hoyt Alphamax 35
Rockin' out my Onion Xtreme Nitrous

LOL. :D
I'll bet not, but just optical illusion. Trust me, ES IS PICKY, except for his spelling.:rolleyes:

kylecurtis04
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
:confused: must be an Illusion :confused:
here they are not in a group ;) my son did some of these and the # stripe's

i second that. if you look at it, the blazer widens towards the viewing eye. So it is on correctly. Probably just the angle of the arrow and the angle at which the photo was taken.

Ehunter
03-03-2011, 03:50 AM
I've shot Blazers for several years, but switched last year to NAP Quick Spins for better broadhead stabilization. They group extremely well, but do have bit of in-air noise. Trying out some 2 in. Fusion vanes now, and I'm liking them alot. Good stabilization, and quiet. Getting as good of groups as the NAP's as well.

Arrow Splitter
03-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Some say they (blazer) are quieter too??? I can't notice it.

Me neither.

A.S

RLW
03-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Did some indoor practice with a couple guys last Monday night, one of them shoots Blazers, and the other has both Blazers and Flex-Fletch FFP360 vanes (3.6") set in a heavy offset helical , a few of each with same type/size arrow

Those bows were shooting in the 250-265fps range. While shooting it was very quiet and we could hear both Blazers lightly buzzing thru the air. Started joking that a deer/elk would think he had just been stung by a really fast pissed off wasp/hornet.

Guess I'm still old school preferring 3.5" to 4" helical fletched vanes....and also currently using Flex-Fletch FFP360 in a slight extra offset helical
FYI: the guy with both Blazers and helical vanes gets very accurate/similar groups with both, but the Blazers do appear to hit 1"-2" higher at 40yds.
When he goes to fixed blade broadheads, he has tighter groups with the larger helical vanes

ElkSlayer
03-03-2011, 06:47 AM
X2, tighter groups for me. Some say they (blazer) are quieter too??? I can't notice it.

Me neither.
A.S

you wont ... but down range someone else can tell.

Our target sit's over buy a buddys house (2doors down)
for the longer shot's we end up in the middle of our rd, my point is Some times a few of use stand off the side in a safe Zone on the side of shooting lane ( no where near harms way)
I can tell when the son in law shoot his vs others...always new when the blazer went by;)

want to test this fact... stand behind a tree or corner of building have some one shoot you will beable to tell too.....does it matter ? umm doubt i could get outa the way fast enough..and I know lots of deer /elk that failed too:D

elkslayer4x5
03-03-2011, 07:15 AM
I can think of a dandy forkie taken off of Wolf Creek, that never heard those blazers comming. :D

SonnyThomas
03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
You guys ever hear of dosemeter or decibel gage? It checks sound emissions. We had to use them at motercycle enduro races. I don't know whether the reader could pick up vane noise, should though.

Anyway, have someone stand down range, off to the side hopefull :D , and let them listen for the arrow. You'll be surprised.

RLW
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
You guys ever hear of dosemeter or decibel gage? It checks sound emissions. We had to use them at motercycle enduro races. I don't know whether the reader could pick up vane noise, should though.

Anyway, have someone stand down range, off to the side hopefull :D , and let them listen for the arrow. You'll be surprised.

.......and if it's below 96db we're good!...........for the race anyway :)

I think I was told the ones used at some of our local rides/races only went down to 40db, but seem to remember somebody (I think on this site) saying they had done that with some sort of similar sound meter.

ElkSlayer
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM

yes i have... use them at the coast here for all the sand toys..;)
and yes you will :D one would hope they stand out of the way, as i said hide behind a tree ..lol one could just duck :eek:

Arrow Splitter
03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
you wont ... but down range someone else can tell.

....does it matter ? umm doubt i could get outa the way fast enough..and I know lots of deer /elk that failed too:D

X2... Something about an arrow doing near race car speed.:cool::cool:

Sagittarius
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I did a study last year about ths time with a noise meter and 2" - 3" - 4" vanes don't remember which but the 2" and 4" were louder then the 3". I'm now shooting 3" after I mess up my 4" stock vanes....

Ehunter
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
AS, race car speed? Last deer I hit I was going about 25 mph. Well, it actually ran into me. lol

Arrow Splitter
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
AS, race car speed? Last deer I hit I was going about 25 mph. Well, it actually ran into me. lol

I wouldn't try doing that too much, cause it costs more than an arrow does.:D:D

A.S

Speedykills
03-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Ditto....................:)

Ehunter
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
AS, it's a chronic problem I have with Fords. I've had 3 Ford work trucks, hit a deer within the first 3 months with all 3. Always in the dark, or fog, and never over 45 mph. Just bought a Mustang, and I'm hoping to break that cycle. lol

Eric

Arrow Splitter
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
AS, it's a chronic problem I have with Fords. I've had 3 Ford work trucks, hit a deer within the first 3 months with all 3. Always in the dark, or fog, and never over 45 mph. Just bought a Mustang, and I'm hoping to break that cycle. lol

Eric

Yes, for your sake(and your wallet's), please do.:eek::D
Just so you know, you just bought my favorite car.:D;)

A.S