PDA

View Full Version : Serving separating?

parttimr
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
My serving is separating at both knots on my loop after only 100 shots. Not coming apart but sliding apart on the string. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Brad, Post a pic of the spots it might not be a problem.

Hutch:cool:

Ehunter
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Mine did the same thing on my FC400. I showed it to my bow guy, and he said it wasn't anything to worry about. Mine was due to twisting the D-loop up and down the string to adjust nock heigth as I tuned the bow. It seperated under the upper loop knot, but not the bottom. He said it's from tightening the knot down too well before making sure it was where it blonged.

Speedykills
03-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Time to learn to center serve,its not that hard to do.Took a few times to get it right.
But that will be the end result sooner or later.

parttimr
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
@Hutch: Will try to get some tomorrow since I am off. Going to local shop tomorrow to get some new nocks and taking it in since they set it up to get their thoughts.

bfisher
03-04-2011, 07:41 AM
IMO this is due to the center serving not being served tight enough. What happens is that over time the serving wraps get squeezed together at the bending point and the loop can now force it's way between the wraps of serving. I can assure you it's not from over tightening the loop. The loop knots should be tight enough to keep the loop from turning at the shot and for that it has to be TIGHT.

If the center serving is wrapped tight enough the wrap actually compresses itself and will have less of a tendency to separate.

ElkSlayer
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
plus 1 on that D loop need to be tight a well served string will take that without separation.... un like the string on my son bow had to redo his, starting at the top of center serving...now its loose on Y cable leg.. :(

parttimr
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Looked at it today in better light and it looks like it just separated at the bottom loop knot. The loop is tight. After serving it they put it on the bow scale and pull it tight. The loop doesn't turn on the string and the gap is maybe less than an 1/8 inch. Looks as if the bottom knot is still on the serving though.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. But pick your self up a serving kit. Bohning makes one they aren't expensive. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bohning-Archery-All-One-Bow-String-Serving-Kit-/310293156573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483ee9d2dd
This has all you need and a cd to show you how and you won't be going to the shop.

parttimr
03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hutch I found some videos on youtube showing serving and yep it looks easy enough.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
You won't have any problem do it a few times and you won't even need a video. Besides we will help any way you need.

martin hunter
03-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Here is a link with some helpful clips, good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MfjJtX-8pA&feature=player_embedded

parttimr
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
@martin hunter: Thanks for the link but I have his site book marked and watch alot of his stuff and think he is very good at showing how things are done. Watched it today for the serving episode.:D