PDA

View Full Version : Martin Pantera String Stop?

tla100
03-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Hi, just bought a used Martin Pantera. Was wondering if string stop would be worth adding? Also, what brand?

Has QAD Ultra rest Hunter dropaway, I added a stabilizer and changed draw length. Thanks. Timmy

bfisher
03-04-2011, 06:43 AM
It wouldn't hurt. If it's one of the newer Panteras it shuld have a hole drilled in the backside of the riser right below the grip. This is where the Martin STS mounts. There should also be a small threaded hole on the side to install a set screw to hold it in place.

You should be able to purchase or order an STS though any Martin dealer or you can order one rom Martin's on-line store on their website. Part # is 8897.

HawgEnvy
03-04-2011, 06:53 AM
I bought an aftermarket one(Noway ind,i think)for my Cheetah. The front mount was the only one available,so I cut down the mounting bar to make it rear mount. Works great. Even came w a Bowjax for the rod. 1/2 the price of the Martin sts.

tla100
03-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, I may be out of luck. It doesn't have threaded hole anywhere on backside.

Bow Number on ID tag says: 0793538. Not sure if factory tag or other.

So I will have to go with a front mount, will that thread into hole my stabilizer screws into? Thanks for replies.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, I may be out of luck. It doesn't have threaded hole anywhere on backside.

Bow Number on ID tag says: 0793538. Not sure if factory tag or other.

So I will have to go with a front mount, will that thread into hole my stabilizer screws into? Thanks for replies.

The STS is not threaded on martins. And if you go to ebay or a Martin pro shop you can find it cheaper. Looking at the serial number its first to #'s indicate it is an 07 which probably don't accept a rear STS so you will have to go aftermarket.

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the forum.An STS is worth putting on.Here is a link to an aftermarket one at Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Bow-Tuning/String-Accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104234580/i/103974480/Sims-String-Decelerator/745467.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunti ng-archery-bow-tuning-string-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100016%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103974480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104791 680%253Bcat104693580%253Bcat104234580&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104791680%3Bcat104693580%3Bcat10423 4580%3Bcat103974480

SL

tla100
03-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies guys, this is my 1st bow but started last year with my brothers Bear. Very pumped and maybe going overboard, but want to get every bit of speed out of it. Any other suggestions? Will check out ebag and cabelas. Thanks again, appreciate it for being a newbie. Great site!!

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies guys, this is my 1st bow but started last year with my brothers Bear. Very pumped and maybe going overboard, but want to get every bit of speed out of it. Any other suggestions? Will check out ebag and cabelas. Thanks again, appreciate it for being a newbie. Great site!!

What do you have on your string(string silencers,type of peep).Do you know what the weight of your arrow is?What are you shooting for arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
To get the best performance of that bow. I would make sure that all the specs are right. The ATA, BH, need to be as close to specs as can be. The right weight in an arrow and you should be good to go.

tla100
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Strings have 2 small rubber type silencers, not sure brand, look like a small triangle point coming off string on each side.

Peep has the rubber attached from peep to string, I am not a big fan of this and want to change to a peep that is circular and string is split into 3 around the peep. Sorry for not knowing tech term for any of this.

Arrows I got with are carbon Gold Tip HT Hunter 5575, cut @ 26 1/2" where field tip threads into to where knock starts. 27 1/4" from end to end of knock. 100 grain field tips and broadheads. These have the 4" fletching, I bought half dozen of same arrow except they have the short 2" Blazer fletching on.

Hutch, not sure on ATA, BH....Can you dumb it down...heh unless I answered it.

Draw length is around 27 i think, using a F-3 mod, draw weight 55 pounds, all the way cranked. You guys rock.

tla100
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Was looking a the sts on ebay, will the increase in draw weight be benificial for arrow speed correct? Or should I go aftermarket?

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Here is a pic for reference for Hutch's question on where to measure Brace height and axle to axle

Simple Life
03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Strings have 2 small rubber type silencers, not sure brand, look like a small triangle point coming off string on each side.

Peep has the rubber attached from peep to string, I am not a big fan of this and want to change to a peep that is circular and string is split into 3 around the peep. Sorry for not knowing tech term for any of this.

Arrows I got with are carbon Gold Tip HT Hunter 5575, cut @ 26 1/2" where field tip threads into to where knock starts. 27 1/4" from end to end of knock. 100 grain field tips and broadheads. These have the 4" fletching, I bought half dozen of same arrow except they have the short 2" Blazer fletching on.

Hutch, not sure on ATA, BH....Can you dumb it down...heh unless I answered it.

Draw length is around 27 i think, using a F-3 mod, draw weight 55 pounds, all the way cranked. You guys rock.

Well if you buy an STS,you might not need the string silencers(maybe),and a tubeless peep will gain you a few FPS,lighter arrows will gain some more,but loose KE.I am not a fast bow guy,I like mine more quiet and if I loose speed that the price I will pay.Don't get too hyped up on the speed thing,a quiet bow will kill just as good as a fast one.:)

tla100
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
7 brace height and 35 1/4 axle to axle

Simple Life
03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Alright here I go:rolleyes:From the info you gave your roughly at 237 fps,assuming you have GT Expidition arrows and your DL is correct.So if you put an STS on and take off the leeches,put a tubeless peep on,switch arrows to Gold Tip Velocity xt400 with 100gr tip 254 fps,and 80 gr tips to 260 fps.The STS might not make the bow quiet enough,add some cat whiskers.This is all rough calculations using Backcountry Bowhuntiing calculator.Anyone have anything else or I made a mistake feel free to fix.;)
Good luck

SL

elkslayer4x5
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Alright here I go:rolleyes:From the info you gave your roughly at 237 fps,assuming you have GT Expidition arrows and your DL is correct.So if you put an STS on and take off the leeches,put a tubeless peep on,switch arrows to Gold Tip Velocity xt400 with 100gr tip 254 fps,and 80 gr tips to 260 fps.The STS might not make the bow quiet enough,add some cat whiskers.This is all rough calculations using Backcountry Bowhuntiing calculator.Anyone have anything else or I made a mistake feel free to fix.;)
Good luck

SL

Looks like you've got it, only thing I can is if he used 75 gn Muzzys he'd gain 5fps. Want more speed, need more power. :)

tla100
03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
well thanks for respones again. Not sure if I want to go smaller than 100 grain for killing deer. Maybe stop by bow shop tommorow and see if they have deal on sts and get new peep. At least if I upgrade can take most of the stuff off. Shoots good and like the feel alot.

Quick ? I am looking for bow for the old lady. Craigslist has a youth fred bear setup, sights, release, 7 arrows, stabilizer, quiver, case--granted a youth bow, but setup and ready for $200. Thinking good is price as to what is on it. What u think? Thanks again guys, will do more tweeking. Thank

Simple Life
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
well thanks for respones again. Not sure if I want to go smaller than 100 grain for killing deer. Maybe stop by bow shop tommorow and see if they have deal on sts and get new peep. At least if I upgrade can take most of the stuff off. Shoots good and like the feel alot.

Quick ? I am looking for bow for the old lady. Craigslist has a youth fred bear setup, sights, release, 7 arrows, stabilizer, quiver, case--granted a youth bow, but setup and ready for $200. Thinking good is price as to what is on it. What u think? Thanks again guys, will do more tweeking. Thank

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.Enjoy your bow:)

tla100
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Well I picked up a Norway string Tamer G, about the only one available in stock with the front mount, and still use the stabilizer. How close should they be from string to stop? Thanks.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
A credit card away is where you start. Then experiment mine works best touching. Some don't.

Simple Life
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
A credit card away is where you start. Then experiment mine works best touching. Some don't.

X2 adjust to you find the sweet spot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Also don't forget to serve the area the string stop is hitting

tla100
03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Also don't forget to serve the area the string stop is hitting

So thats what the string in the kit was for. Did a quick youtube search and took a little time to get right but looks sweet.

Did launch a few arrows, kinda windy today. Will do some more shooting tho.

Did pick up a tubeless peep, kind that splits string into 3, is this the best as to not ever have to worry about string twist? Need to borrow press. Might have to ask around if anybody has a chrono and see once what it will do. I should have done a before and after to see what changes it really did.