PDA

View Full Version : sts issue,i think

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
i had the sts and ccs instaled sometime ago when i had my stock string on and it all lookd good.now i have w.c. and the sts is touching the string,i pushd it back as far as it can go.now i dont know if this is true or not but from what i understand the sts needs to be backd off the string a 1/16 of a inch or so.is this true.if so do i need to cut it a bit to back it off:confused:

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Most that I've read about say credit card width from string at rest to just barely touncing, so yeah sounds like you'll need to bust out the ole hacksaw once again and 'Fine" tune your STS. :D

bfisher
03-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Sounds to me like you need a bigger hammer. LOL. Yeah the old hacksaw trick works well. I actually use a grinder for such things. Don't forget to chamfer the end.

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
i will go with the grinder,i like things that make noise:D.and i did bust out the rubber mallet and gave it a few taps:eek:.so tomorrow at work i will grind it down.with a cutting wheel

CaptJJ
03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
So you put on a new string and now it is hitting the STS, sounds like your bow's brace height has decreased, the string is longer than before. I'd check and make sure everything is in spec before you cut or grind anything.;)

ElkSlayer
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
So you put on a new string and now it is hitting the STS, sounds like your bow's brace height has decreased, the string is longer than before. I'd check and make sure everything is in spec before you cut or grind anything.;)

yep.. check spec's

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Welcome CaptJJ! And I agree DON'T CUT IT OR GRIND IT TILL YOU CHECK TO SEE IF THE SPECS ARE RIGHT. If they are then proceed. I myself have the same bow and have found it to be more quiet just barley touching.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Welcome CaptJJ! And I agree DON'T CUT IT OR GRIND IT TILL YOU CHECK TO SEE IF THE SPECS ARE RIGHT. If they are then proceed. I myself have the same bow and have found it to be more quiet just barley touching.

i will for sure check all specs when i get home tonight.as for quit,i cant tell yet.they did not put string silencers on it.i am looking around to see what will let me keep my fps and still be quiet.i did take about 50 shots at the shop befor i left and its loud.just a thunk sound.the string was up to specs.they wrote everything down as they mesured and instaled.i will double check everything befor i start hacking away.:eek:
im glad i asked for help first.im the kind of guy who will do then ask what went wrong.good thing for all of yall

elkslayer4x5
03-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Isn't there a set crew or two to hold the rod in position? If so, then cutting provides better adjustment range...:)
Then maybe that mallet can remain on the bench.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 01:13 PM
You need to use string silencers. I used cat whiskers in the small form. And it doesn't take away that much speed. It does take away the noise. I have the same bow and spent quite a few days to get it quiet. Now it is great to shoot and not here the tuning fork sound.:eek:

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
You need to use string silencers. I used cat whiskers in the small form. And it doesn't take away that much speed. It does take away the noise. I have the same bow and spent quite a few days to get it quiet. Now it is great to shoot and not here the tuning fork sound.:eek:

oh ya string silencers will be going on befor i make any more shots.i just wanted to look around a bit and see whats out ther befor i bought and put on.im trying to get info on stuff befor i buy,insted of my usual ways of buy first ask later.i should be home in a few hours so i will check specs.if all seams to be fine then bow comes to work with me tomorrow and hacking begins...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I have tried string leeches, super leeches, Bats, you name it but nothing lasts or does as good as whiskers.

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I have tried string leeches, super leeches, Bats, you name it but nothing lasts or does as good as whiskers.

with you being a fellow bengal owner i will take you word on it.wiskers it is.

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
ok well ata is spot on,brace is spot on.everything is spot on.so now its time to hack it up,the sts that is not the bow.:D

parttimr
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
+1 on the whiskers and my string just barely touches the STS and no problems. Only problem I have is the Limbsaver Quads fell off after two shots but they are sending me new pads to see if that takes care of it. Like Hutch said without those on I definitely get a tuning fork vibe, with them not.

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
+1 on the whiskers and my string just barely touches the STS and no problems. Only problem I have is the Limbsaver Quads fell off after two shots but they are sending me new pads to see if that takes care of it. Like Hutch said without those on I definitely get a tuning fork vibe, with them not.

since we perty much have the same dl what mod do you have in?i have the f-4

parttimr
03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
It came with the f5 installed and I had it changed to the f4.