PDA

View Full Version : Strings?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Info on strings
The most common thing is care.
a. inspect and clean and wax the string.
inspect and replace if any defects or broken strands.
wax and burnish, burnish the wax into the string this is but taking a leather strap rubbing it up and down the string to create heat and melt it into the strands.

b. types of string material.
8125g is used for speed it has creep and stretch
452x is general purpose no stretch and no creep
Trophy is general and hunting no stretch and no creep
(creep is when the fibers pull apart. stretch is when all the strands become equal in length.Thus a pre-stretched string has no peep rotation)

c. Strings don't last forever
general shooting replace every 2 to 3 years
target shooters every 1 to 2 years

d. Accessories
speed nocks for the extra speed
string silencers slows the string down

e. Center serving should allow the nock to fit snugly, not tight. The arrow should fall of the string when hanging and the bow is tapped.

Remember a well maintained string will help your bow preform excellent.

More questions try out this link: http://www.bcyfibers.com/FAQs.php

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
03-04-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks for that post hutch.its a good thing for people like me.new to the sport,dont really know people who can teach in person.if it was not for this forum i would still be searching the net for answers.its straight to the point and just one of thouse things that i will need to know.:)

Lung Buster
03-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the info! I have always waxed my strings but I have never thought of using a leather strap to heat the wax so it melts into the strands. Good stuff!

Simple Life
03-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Good info Hutch,another one for the How-To

SonnyThomas
03-05-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info! I have always waxed my strings but I have never thought of using a leather strap to heat the wax so it melts into the strands. Good stuff!

Yes, work it in, but don't over do it. You can produce excessive heat over doing it.

parttimr
03-05-2011, 05:47 AM
You can also use a hairdryer on the lowest setting and a bit of distance from the string to just warm it up and then finish off by using you fingers to rub it in.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Good point!! parttimr, another good trick of the trade.

parttimr
03-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Heres the link Hutch:http://www.bowtuningtips.com/files/html_pages/htmlplayers/waxstringtip.html This fella has lots of good tips and does very good videos to follow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Good old Kenny I haven't seen that one. But it is a good one.I have seen it in a write up some where. Using a heat gun on low setting and being careful not to heat it up too much. But like I said that's a good tip Brad. I might start doing that once a year myself.

parttimr
03-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Yep, I really like his stuff because it's easy for someone like me (archery tuning challenged) to follow. Watched his string serving video yesterday. Oh and by the way I used a wood screw to get the nock out. Just a couple twists catch the threads and out it came. Already wrapped and re-fletched as well. Hairdryer technique for removing old wrap as well.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-05-2011, 06:34 AM
I like the build your own save money. I have four of us that shoot. And it costs a lot of money so build and save tips are great. Thanks Brad

martinbowhunter
03-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Hutch, how would you go about "cleaning" said string?

gravedigger
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Hutch, how would you go about "cleaning" said string?

go to this thread.it might help.what do you use for string care?.i askd the same and it might have what you need

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Cleaning?
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=533605&page=1

There are a lot of ways here is one

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-02-2011, 02:40 PM
ttt!!!!!!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-29-2011, 03:33 AM
When ordering a custom string! Put a little thought into your order.
1. Speed or not (slower by more quiet)?
If you order a string the material makes a difference. But the one thing people forget, how many strands you have in your string makes a difference.
For instance: if I ordered a string made of BCY trophy Material. This material is able to be built with 20 - 24 strands. With less strands lets say 20, I will pick up some speed from the string. Reason less strands reduces friction and less friction the string can cut the air faster.
*standard strands on any string are usually the maximum strands.

2. So ask questions before you order. I would think of what purpose I am using the bow for (hunting, target, both) and decide on the string material and the strand count.

3.Older bows, some are not designed for speed. This is because they are not as high tech. But you can get a few more feet per second out of them. If you change a few things. Like the string material and the strand count.
* also the lengths of the servings were a lot longer than needed. Remeasure and shorten them, and let your string maker know the new measurements.

bfisher
10-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Good info there, Hutch. Not many people know this. Just one thought though. Reducing the strand count from 24 to 20 will make the string smaller in diameter. To achieve proper nock fit it may be necessary to use larger diameter serving or at least serve a couple extra strands under the center serving, correct?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Center servings: here is where a lot of archer's miss the shot. Before I started building strings I thought the center serving had to be real tight. Almost to the point if you turned the arrow the string will move with it. Wrong! The arrow nock should fit on snugly, without force. Clip on clip off gently.
*In most cases when you get a manufactured string the center serving is too tight. After a few shots say 1000. The center serving wears and a sweet spot forms so the arrow nock fits perfectly. Problem! it thins the center serving. Which in turn lets the center serving shift or premature breakage.

Fixes: a tighter center serving, a smaller diameter center serving, a different arrow nock, or a light file with an emery board

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Good info there, Hutch. Not many people know this. Just one thought though. Reducing the strand count from 24 to 20 will make the string smaller in diameter. To achieve proper nock fit it may be necessary to use larger diameter serving or at least serve a couple extra strands under the center serving, correct?Good point Barry!

If you are having a custom string ordered remember a few things.

1. A good string builder will have a bunch of different style nocks. Let him know what style of nock you are using and he will set your center serving to that style nock.

2. Also length of center serving, it makes a difference in the length. I prefer a shorter center serving. Standard use to be 7" but it has changed over the years to 5"

Here is one of my nock tools I made.

96xjclassic
11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks a lot. So much great info here. I'm learning so much already!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks a lot. So much great info here. I'm learning so much already!stick around and ask all the questions you want you'll learn enough to become dangerous like the rest of us:rolleyes:

except me of course.

96xjclassic
11-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks hutch.
Mark

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2011, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qh3KF6bnM0&feature=related

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2011, 04:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpvvjrC5wE

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
One thing guys I forgot to mention in ordering a string set.

Halo serving is a braided serving it is a stronger and more gripping. It comes in clear or colors

3d serving is the standard it is twisted and holds under normal conditions.

So when you order if you have any problem areas with serving you may want to order halo.

B4L Okie
04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
How does Astro flight work on Martin Bows such as Pantera?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Astro flight has some of the characteristics as Bcy's 452x but as far as using it I have not. It is tough beating Bcy products.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Just something I was thinking about when I was building strings.

For you guys that Serve your Center serving. To eliminate peep rotation, you need to serve your center serving with the twist of the string. That being said you need to serve it in the same direction the twist is going.
Example: The string is twisted clockwise from the bottom of the string. So you need to serve your center serving clockwise toward the top of the string. End Twisted>>>>>this way>>> toward you>>>> you need to serve the same direction toward you.

Just thought you would like that info

bfisher
07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
That's good to know, Bill. I've heard it expalined before, but somehow it just never sunk in. You expained it quite nicely.

Ehunter
07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Very good info Bill. Something I had never thought about when reserving. Keep the tips coming String Master.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Is your Peep In the right location????? Some think that if a Peep rotates to the correct position when drawn, it is all set. WRONG!!!! A peep in a location of side ways or 1/4 turn is not correct.

A peep should always be in the position you tend to see out of it. The peep should stay in the straight position even when being drawn

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Simple Method of correction is to put one half twist in the bottom of the string. Test it! If necessary do the same procedure again until the peep is in the correct location.

Spiker
08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Simple Method of correction is to put one half twist in the bottom of the string. Test it! If necessary do the same procedure again until the peep is in the correct location.

Yup.!
Then if it is off just a hair - push yer peep servings up or down a taste to dial it in dead on.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Yup.!
Then if it is off just a hair - push yer peep servings up or down a taste to dial it in dead on.

I think that Spiker is on to something!!;)

Spiker
08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Jim taught me that...