PDA

View Full Version : custom Cheetah...paint?

HawgEnvy
03-06-2011, 07:18 AM
after thinkin about it for a few days, I decided I'm giving it a go. If I don't like it, I can always put both bows back to original. But, a custom bow needs custom paint. What are my options? Powdercoat,auto paint,custom dip? What are your opinions and why? Pros and cons of the different options? Your input is valued and appreciated. Thanks, guys.

archerx7
03-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Powder coat I believe is the most durable of the finishes you mentioned but can't be used on the limbs as it is a baked on finish. My own bow has a black PC riser and camo limbs. I believe one of the members on this forum does powdercoating.

I've seen a few bows done with automotive paint, they look good as long as its done right, but would probably be less durable and prone to scratchs, something to consider if its a hunting bow.

Film dip is very good and you'll have lots of options for patterns, but it can get a little expensive depending on the pattern you choose, and if its not clear coated it won't hold up well on the contact areas such as the grip.

alex
03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Spiker has started a powdercoating business as far as i know. You can PM him and ask about the details.

gravedigger
03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
100% powdercoat.i do sandblasting as a side job so i deal with a very good powdercoater.so many custom colors.if you go through a small town coater not a major production coater then you will ger better quality.last longer and more care is put inton the job.

HawgEnvy
03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
100% powdercoat.i do sandblasting as a side job so i deal with a very good powdercoater.so many custom colors.if you go through a small town coater not a major production coater then you will ger better quality.last longer and more care is put inton the job.

what's a good price to pay for PC? And what about the non-metal parts of the riser(VEM's,Martin coin,American flag emblem)? Are they savable or will they need replaced?

gravedigger
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
what's a good price to pay for PC? And what about the non-metal parts of the riser(VEM's,Martin coin,American flag emblem)? Are they savable or will they need replaced?

i would replace them.once ypu pull them off it might be dificult to put back on.call martin and get replacements.and for a price that all depends on coler.do you want a mettle flake,gloss,flat.differnt colors all very in price.some colors take a bit more finese to place.and also what sate you live in.sales tax.it can range frome 40-50 or 100+ and then some.really you need to find a coater in you area or i can give you the name of mine.pm me if you want his name and contact info.this guy does custom bikes,well to keep it shot everything from a to z.i have not askd him aout doing a bow,but if its metal he can do it.allso remember if you do find a coater n your area to have your riser sand blasted or strip it clean your self.no soda blast or wallnut,or silicon.a good well used grit that has ben blasted down to a fine powder works bet.its what we use on old old car parts and we have people coming from a few states over to have stuff blasted.

Ehunter
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
For a camo or other dip, I'd try Dynamic Finishes in Kansas City Mo. I've done business with them in the past, and they do really good work at a very reasonable price. Everything is cleaned, primed, dipped, and clear coated. They do most of Remingtons custom dipping on guns, as well as a few other big name companies. If there was one bad thing to say about them, their turn around time is a little slow once in a while. I kind of expect this though. Makes more sense to do a job of 100 pieces for a major company before you do a single piece for an individual.

MLN1963
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
EHunter

What do you think it would coast to dip a bow? Riser and limbs for sure and possibly cams.

I have seen DIY kits and they have piqued my curiosity.

HawgEnvy
03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm curious about those kits,too. I'm still looking into it. Google "hydrographics". If I find pertinent info,ill let you know.

elkslayer4x5
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Search hydro dip on AT, has been a lot of talk about the kits. Trick is the water temp, timing, and the clearcoat dip, by now I'm sure you've read my post on flim dip. The kit is 100 bucks, get a sq meter of film. Hidden cost is the heated tanks.

MLN1963
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Trick is the water temp, timing, and the clearcoat dip, by now I'm sure you've read my post on flim dip.

Just found it

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Here's a link for you guys to see:http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1326357&page=1
Deer Predator is my username on AT.

A.S

HawgEnvy
03-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Here's a link for you guys to see:[url]
Deer Predator is my username on AT.

A.S

Awww! You sneak! My name is the same there as it is here and TBH. I'm routine oriented. Lol

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Awww! You sneak! My name is the same there as it is here and TBH. I'm routine oriented. Lol

I joined AT before I joined Martin, so when I joined here, I came up with Arrow Splitter. I'm A.S on BroadheadTalk and ArcherySite as well.;)

A.S

MLN1963
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I have never heard of Archerysite until just now. I'll have to check it out.

Ehunter
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
MLN, Using the guys I have for dipping, I'd guess a bow dip to cost about $100-150. One of the things I like about them is, they have most all of the camo patterns available. What I had dipped was dipped in Next Camo to match my bow. They even offer different clearcoat options for different applications. Everything from flat, to high gloss. Just call Dynamic Finishes in Kansas City Mo. and ask for Scott. 800-899-5734

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I have never heard of Archerysite until just now. I'll have to check it out.

Are you on BroadheadTalk as well?

A.S

MLN1963
03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
As of a few moments ago I am. I used you as a reference. ;)

HawgEnvy
03-09-2011, 05:48 AM
I joined AT before I joined Martin, so when I joined here, I came up with Arrow Splitter. I'm A.S on BroadheadTalk and ArcherySite as well.;)

A.S

I'm going to check those sites out. Thanks for the lead

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
As of a few moments ago I am. I used you as a reference. ;)

I appreciate it.;)

A.S

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm going to check those sites out. Thanks for the lead

I started a Martin group on BroadheadTalk, so you might want to join with the rest of us that are over there.;)

A.S

elkslayer4x5
03-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I started a Martin group on BroadheadTalk, so you might want to join with the rest of us that are over there.;)

A.S

Yeah quite a few of us now, including one sneaky onion hating guy who changed his name to try and confuse us. Didn't.:D