PDA

View Full Version : 2010 vs 2011 Saber, Is A Low End Bow Good Enough?

safeskies
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I am just getting into archery and am looking to buy my first real bow (one I will hunt with). I noticed the Saber and was wondering if the 2011 upgrades are good enough to pay a little extra for, or would the 2010 model be just fine?

Also, this is one of the lower end bows, but I can't really figure out the major differences in this or a $1000 bow. The specs are pretty impressive! What will I be missing out on by buying a lower end saber, vs saving up for a high end bow? I'm not thinking the differences would be worth it, but I thought I'd check your opinions. Thanks!

gravedigger
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
first i would start off by saying marting is not a "low end bow".just because it costs a less some people assume it has to be lower quality.not true.what your getting with a $1000 bow is the name,and what pros are sponcerd to use.imo martin is right there at the top.great c.s. and these martin owners on top of that will help you with everything from a to z.i bought a bengal even after shooting a 1000 dollar bow.i liked the way it felt,shot,and all the stuff a guy can do on his own without the help of a shop.i just found out about this forum a couple months ago and have been welcom with open arms.and have learned so much and am still learning.keep in mind with any bow you buy you may run into an issue at some time or another.like i say you cant go wrong with a martin.

Simple Life
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a 06 Saber given to me and it is a good shooting bow for the bottom of the line.For your first bow ,I would not want to go overboard $$,in case you don't like it archery.Between the 2 ,if it is not much price wise I would go with the 2011,it has the Hammerhead strings and TRG.Just my 2 cents.

SL

archerx7
03-07-2011, 12:26 PM
For just starting out, the Saber will make a fine first bow. I would use the money you save on it and put it toward a good rest and sight that you can transfer over to a different bow when your ready to upgrade in a couple years.

Arrow Splitter
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
For your first bow ,I would not want to go overboard $$,in case you don't like it archery.Between the 2 ,if it is not much price wise I would go with the 2011,it has the Hammerhead strings and TRG.Just my 2 cents.

SL

X2 I shoot a Jaguar, which back when it was produced in 2007 was one of Martin's most inexpensive bows, and I am really happy with it. It's currently the only bow I own.

A.S

Ehunter
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
For a person just starting out, I'd say go with the 2010 model, unless the price difference was minimal. People were shooting perfect scores, and "Robin Hooding" arrows way before the TRG and SOS ever came out. My '08 Moab is just as accurate as my '11 Firecat. The Saber is a good shooting bow, and while less expensive than other bows out there, they are just as good as most. For me, the biggest significant advantage to the 2011 would be the new Hammerhead strings. It seems to be a better factory string than what previous models had. A good custom string should run you between $45-75. If you can save $100 on the '10 Saber, that's the route I'd go.

safeskies
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

Now comparing Martin bows, the Saber looks like the cheapest. What am I losing by choosing that over one of the more expensive Martin bows (like the Pantera)? Just looking at the specs, speeds, lengths, etc, they don't look that different. I like all the specs I see on the Saber, as well as the look and color, I just need to shoot it to make sure I like the feel. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.

CaptJJ
03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

Now comparing Martin bows, the Saber looks like the cheapest. What am I losing by choosing that over one of the more expensive Martin bows (like the Pantera)? Just looking at the specs, speeds, lengths, etc, they don't look that different. I like all the specs I see on the Saber, as well as the look and color, I just need to shoot it to make sure I like the feel. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.

The main difference is the riser, it is cast magnesium vs. machined aluminum. I had a Martin jaguar with the cast riser several years ago, never had a problem.

Arrow Splitter
03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

So correct me if I'm wrong, but if a pricey bow and a cheap bow both feel great to you, and there's not a specific feature you MUST have, then there's nothing wrong with going with the cheaper one.

You're right on, and Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.:cool:

A.S

cyclepath
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
You may want to check out the new martin exile. Alittle more than the saber. I am looking to add one for 3d. There is a thread on here about the exile. Any of their bows would be nice to own. If there is a martin dealer around where you live you may want to stop in and shoot a few models and see which one feels the best to shoot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
A saber is a good place to start. It will be a great bow for a back up bow if you decide to upgrade.

Hutch:cool:

safeskies
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
What kind of things can you do to adjust the martin bows at home? I was looking at the manuals and it seemed like draw strength was adjusted with just an allen wrench. Anything else easy to adjust on the Martins? Are these "self-help" features unique to the Martins or do most manufacturers design their bows this way?

Spiker
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
You can completely tear down and rebuild a Martin with nothing more than a set of Alen wrench's and a tape measure.

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can adjust the draw weight with an allen wrench. Make sure that both bolts are turned equally though. You can also adjust the draw length pretty easily as well. These features are on all bows nowadays.

A.S

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Now how about that. We just responded at the same time.:D

A.S

safeskies
03-13-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm now looking at a 2010 Pantera package for about the same price as a 2011 Saber package. Which would be worth getting? The older Pantera or the lower model Saber with the 2011 upgrades? Thanks!

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Personally, for the same price I would buy the Pantera; I like the looks of the riser.

Simple Life
03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I would say the Pantera;)

bfisher
03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
No brainer for me. The Pantera if it were my choice.

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Pantera. Question is where did you get a Pantera that cheap?

Ehunter
03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Pantera, no question. Nothing at all wrong with the Saber. It's a very nice bow. The Pantera is just a step above to me.

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 07:14 PM
The parallel limb Pantera should have less hand shock when shooting. I like the shorter A2A as well.

Arrow Splitter
03-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Definitely the Pantera.:cool:

A.S