PDA

View Full Version : Ground blind or tree stand?

Simple Life
03-07-2011, 12:15 PM
What do you guys prefer to hunt out of.I use a ladder stand,but sucks when it is raining:o.

Arrow Splitter
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Both.:cool:

A.S

rpalt1
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
It's kind of a funny thing for me. I always use a fixed tree stand but the few deer I've shot with a bow always came when I was on the ground lol One time I had just finished strapping my ladder on after switching spots and a nice 6 pt came within 40 yds to see what was going on and me with my stand in my hand instead of a bow lol busted never saw another deer on that hunt figures:rolleyes:

Simple Life
03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
It's kind of a funny thing for me. I always use a fixed tree stand but the few deer I've shot with a bow always came when I was on the ground lol One time I had just finished strapping my ladder on after switching spots and a nice 6 pt came within 40 yds to see what was going on and me with my stand in my hand instead of a bow lol busted never saw another deer on that hunt figures:rolleyes:

Yup,isn't that the way:)

Simple Life
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
What are you guys using for ground blinds?Are they water resistent?

Ehunter
03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I use ladder stands for deer hunting for the most part. I have 1 regular fixed tree stand, and one that is built into the tree out of scrap lumber. Just bought a ground blind from Rhino Labs last year for turkey hunting. One of the nicer ground blinds I have seen, and a little cheaper than the "big name" brands. While not advertised as waterproof, my brother and dad sat in it for rifle season during a few rains, and said it didn't leak a drop. I've used it once hunting coyotes in the rain, and never saw a leak. It has the wrap around window (like a double bull blind) on two sides, and nice shooting windows on the other 2 sides. Shoot through netting all around. Magnetic solid window covers, so no zipper or velcro noise. Not as cheap as sme of the blinds I've seen out there, but worth every penny for me.

Speedykills
03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Ill hunt from a stand most of the time,but i will make a blind from tree branches and stuff.That is how i got my 2010 buck.

ElkSlayer
03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I use a Primos Ground max tallest one they make (I'm 6'4")
I am happy to say it is so water proof that when the seam's and or windows leak it will fill the side pocket full of water...great for them thristy days..:p

Fun fact they used a water proof mat but seam's are so tight it is full of small holes :rolleyes: reminds me to get busy on the cover to fix that PITA thing

other then that its great. I can deal with the drips , cause it sure better in side than out side in our rainy weather ;)

Arrow Splitter
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
What are you guys using for ground blinds?Are they water resistent?

We have an Ameristep G30. It is water resistant, and since it was wearing a $74 price tag instead of the usual $99.83 price tag, its all good.:cool::cool:

A.S

elkslayer4x5
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I use a Primos Ground max tallest one they make (I'm 6'4")
I am happy to say it is so water proof that when the seam's and or windows leak it will fill the side pocket full of water...great for them thristy days..:p

Fun fact they used a water proof mat but seam's are so tight it is full of small holes :rolleyes: reminds me to get busy on the cover to fix that PITA thing

other then that its great. I can deal with the drips , cause it sure better in side than out side in our rainy weather ;)

Are you gonna re paint the seam with a sealer or make a ranifly that will provide over hang for the window? :D

mihunter
03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
trophyline tree saddle

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Ground blind, tree stand , ladder stand, and soon to be a homemade tree stand.
I love my welder.

Hutch:cool:

CaptJJ
03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Both, depends on what and where I'm hunting, usually I'm in a climber in the fall. I have one natural ground blind behind some downed tree roots that I've taken a couple bucks from; it's a great funnel. Turkey with bow I'm in a blind. Don't use my pop-up much for deer; they work better when they are left out and brushed in good, I won't leave mine out;). I did use it last fall in one spot that didn't have any good trees, came close on a nice buck and a doe came within 10 yds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/w203/lgsalmon/100_1206.jpg

Ray from Auburn
03-08-2011, 02:26 AM
ground blind. one from cabela's called trekker (basic small dome type) and a Barronett hub. The trekker got put up in Oct and didn't come down til Jan. Worked thru rain storms, high winds, and snow. Kept me dry! Will use the Barronett this season for coyote and then deer.

elkslayer4x5
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I've got an Ameristep G 20 popup, neat thing about is the mesh window can be raised by pulling attached strings, getting the mesh out of the way of the shot. Funny thing, although it's named an Ameristep, it's made in China. You have to expect those things when you pick it up on sale from SportsmansGuide. But it works.:)

Simple Life
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Well might have to save some $$ this summer and buy one.It was a wet fall last year,and hard to put a day in soak and wet:(

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Well might have to save some $$ this summer and buy one.It was a wet fall last year,and hard to put a day in soak and wet:(

You could get a ladder stand cover kit. Then you won't get wet or be seen ...................................eating onions.

Simple Life
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
You could get a ladder stand cover kit. Then you won't get wet or be seen ...................................eating onions.

Ha Ha funny,don't you have a string jig to be working on:rolleyes:

ElkSlayer
03-08-2011, 05:19 PM

LMAO he's got ya there hutch...:D:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM

You have no sense of humor Grampa Simple life. Ok I will get back to the string jig.

Simple Life
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
You have no sense of humor Grampa Simple life. Ok I will get back to the string jig.

How you making out with the jig anyway?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
How you making out with the jig anyway?
I have a couple of parts on order. And I haven't been able to get back to it. Tomorrow night I will work more on it. I have a post all welded and now I am working on putting a pin in the arm. Then all I have to do is make another post and pin and mount it to the rail. Then comes the fun part order all the string material.:eek:

Hutch

Simple Life
03-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a couple of parts on order. And I haven't been able to get back to it. Tomorrow night I will work more on it. I have a post all welded and now I am working on putting a pin in the arm. Then all I have to do is make another post and pin and mount it to the rail. Then comes the fun part order all the string material.:eek:

Hutch

Sounds like you have been busy,wait till all the orders come in,we won't hear from you again LOL.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you have been busy,wait till all the orders come in,we won't hear from you again LOL.

You mean you won't hear from Arrow Splitter that much! LOL:D
I am building the business for him so he can have a good job. Soon after its going, I have a few archery inventions I want to start.

Simple Life
03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
You mean you won't hear from Arrow Splitter that much! LOL:D
I am building the business for him so he can have a good job.

Looking to adopt another:D.Seriously that is great,seems AS loves the sport.

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Seriously that is great,seems AS loves the sport.

I definitely do.:cool::cool:

A.S