PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a chronograph

kylecurtis04
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
In the market to purchase a chronograph. Anyone have one for sale or can anyone suggest a reliable brand? Thanks!

SonnyThomas
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Shooting Chrony is hard to beat and the main frame housing is not that cheap plastic. They have several models and accessories. Mine has a jack so to plug in a printer.

kylecurtis04
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Will definitely take a look at those. Thanks.

Ray from Auburn
03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
got a Chrony from USAMidway (nothing fancy) for about $100. For something that I don't use til I get a new toy(s), it works well for me.

RLW
03-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I have had a ProChrono for quite a few years now. It has been a good simple and accurate unit for my pistol, rifle and arrow shooting........and my sons paintball adjustment testing.
Also been a durable unit, packing it with me on hunts and/or camping trips several times, but then I don't just throw it around either.....still pack it in it's original box.

It does require good outdoor daylighting and hates indoor HID or fluorescent lighting due to stroboscopic effect from ballasted lights (typical for chronographs).
If I start getting readings that I feel are way off, it's usually because of dim early/late day light or the 9V battery is getting weak.
I've also had off reading when it's well below freezing, the once or twice I was dumb enough to out testing in the cold......once the sun hit it for a few minutes it was fine again.

I have not tried the lighting kit with my personal one, but see they have a new indoor LED lighting kit that may work ok.

Ehunter
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Mine's the ProChrono as well. RLW nailed everything on the head. Good chrono, but quirky about the right light.

CarlosII
03-08-2011, 02:50 PM
here's my vote for the ProChrono. got mine out of the bargain cave at cabelas. not a thing wrong with it...it says i'm getting 672 fps all the time.

(just funnin')

bfisher
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
here's my vote for the ProChrono. got mine out of the bargain cave at cabelas. not a thing wrong with it...it says i'm getting 672 fps all the time.

(just funnin')

You wanna sell it????? LOL.

madlaz
03-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Has anyone tried the Beta Chrony blue and what do you think of it .

mudpig
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I've got the Beta model Shooting Chrony and love it. Most of it's workout is shooting bullets over it, but I've been finding it works great for arrows too. I will reiterate the statements that several others have.....Flourecent lights affect the reading terribly! Strong direct sunlight also affects the readings, but most kits come with diffusers for the sunlight and as an option you can get a lighting kit for using them indoors. I think I spent about $100 for mine but got the printer and such for it too. Very nice product to have whether you shoot guns or bows.

Rockyhud
03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I haven't bought one - of any brand - but I've been thinking of getting the CED M2 (company name is Competitive Edge Dynamics and website is http://www.cedhk.com/shop/). I researched chronographs quite a bit and the overwhelming consensus I found was the M2 was one of the best, most accurate, consistent and reliable available. It costs more than Shooting Chrony and ProChrony but you get more and if you compare apples to apples (such as adding a printer to a Shooting Chrony) the CED M2 is actually priced fairly competitively.