PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar string

jumper
03-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Hello,

I have an 09 Jaguar Take Down and I'm in need of a string. I have been reading other posts and it seem there are many different lengths people are recommending. When I look at the 2009 bow specs (http://www.martinarchery.com/2009web/tech2009.php) it says the bow length is 60" with a brace height of 7 - 7 1/2. When I look at this (http://www.martinarchery.com/2009web/jaguartakedown.php) page from the 2009 website it says AMO Length: 60” and Brace Height: 7” - 7 1/2” Just a little confused as to what the bow length is and what string I need.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Jumper

bfisher
03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
It's right on your bow. If the bow is marked 60" AMO then you buy a string that is marked 60" AMO. Of course the string will be shorter, usually 4", but the packaging should be marked 60" AMO. It doesn't get much simpler than that. It's been this way for decades.

jumper
03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Sorry I miss typed-----the spec chart says 62" not 60". There is nothing on the bow, no sticker or any numbers of any kind.

alex
03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Measure the bow from tip to tip. As far as i know usually the string on the recurves is 2 inches shorter then this distance. So if the bow is 64" you need a 62" string, if it's 62" - 60" string.

bfisher
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
OK, the same rule applies. If the bow is 62" then you buy a 62" AMO string. The difference is usually 4" Alex, however some people like to go 3" shorter and have a lower brace height or give them the option of twisting the string more to customize the performance of the bow to the way they like it.

alex
03-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Oops, my mistake, i tought that with the longbows it's 4" shorter and with the recurves it's 2". Another thing that can be done is to take a proper rope/cord, tie a loop on one end and "string" the bow so that the brace height will be around 7". Then just measure the rope and you'll know the approximate lenght of the string. I don't know if that's done before but i think it'll work. What do you think, Barry?

bfisher
03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
What do I think? I'd say if there's a string on the bow now just measure it and replace it with the same thing. Now also the one that is on it may have stretched some so I'd round it down to the next smaller whole number.

Alex, you may very well be right about it being 2" shorter, but recurve strings should still have packaging marked the length of the bow with AMO added on. That's why I still say to get a 62"AMO string.

And another thing is to try it on the bow before leaving the shop. It's not exactly rocket science.

alex
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I'd say if there's a string on the bow now just measure it and replace it with the same thing.

:D That's it!

elkslayer4x5
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, back in the day ( late 60's-early 70's ) changing the string lengths was about all the 'tuning" you could do on the bows, usually, the deeper into the string grove on the recurved limb the quieter the bow shot, and then as now we equaite quietness to better tuned. We had string makers then as well. I made my own and most of the clubs, save for the few that made thier own. I built them with 100# tension, and had very slight stretch..:)

ElkSlayer
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
. I built them with 100# tension, and had very slight stretch..:)

Yep 30 years later when i got his bow i took old string hook it on a nail puled tight along tape measure.. Hum 56 3/16 " so i sent off for a 56" string ;) funny its a 60"amo bow...:cool:

bfisher
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Yep 30 years later when i got his bow i took old string hook it on a nail puled tight along tape measure.. Hum 56 3/16 " so i sent off for a 56" string ;) funny its a 60"amo bow...:cool:

That's what I've been saying. A 60" bow will take a string 4" shorter, but packaged and marked to the bow's length, thus 60" AMO. To buy a string all you need is the bow's AMO length and how many strands you want. The only othe consideration is whether it is a modern bow that will accept Fastflight materials or an older one that requires Dacron or B50.

I would also add that any bow that can use Fastflight can also be shot with Dacron or B50. The bow just won't shoot as fast, but limb durability will be better.