PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Bengal new guy issues

cjchasman
03-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi all, just became a new Martin owner & also new to forum. Purchased a 2010 Bengal and am concerned w what appears to be a crack in the camo finish at the connection point of the riser by the Bengal logo. The crack appears cosmetic but my old ears tell me the bow is a bit louder than new. Is it possible the two are related? Roughly 200 shots since new,and it is a tac driver. Very consistent tight groups. Basic silencer treatment, string silencers from Martin, sims limbsavers and stabilizer etc. The noise sounds mechanical more than string related. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks for any help.
Chasman

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
If you can, post a picture. This will help us figure out the problem.
Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.:)

A.S

CaptJJ
03-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Most likely what you are seeing is cosmetic, sounds like you are talking about a joint in the 3 piece riser.

Possibly the noise is from something coming loose, check and make sure all allen bolts/screws are tight. Some people like to use loctite to keep them from loosening up. Sometimes the bow just seems loud to the shooter when it isn't.

gravedigger
03-09-2011, 08:53 AM
for sure post some pics,and it very well could be just a mind trick.i got a 2010 bengal and i think it louder then it should be but its not.ive shot side by side with other new martins and it was all in my head.welcom to the forum

cjchasman
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try a photo but am not sure it will show up..if it doesn't I won't post...it is definitely what I would call a hairline crack. I also would say it is at the top joint in the riser as the finish is cracked totally around the circumference of the offset where it says BENGAL. Hopefully it is just cosmetic but now I have to track down why the bow is so loud. I own a couple other bows and when I shoot them one after another the mechanical loudness of my Bengal is evident. I'll try to get some other ears on the matter for their input during the next shooting opportunity. Could it be a cam issue?
Chasman

elkslayer4x5
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Is the bow within specs? What kind of noise? That have the sts on it? The 2010's didn't have the best strings on them, and has most likely streched out of specs by now, which would make it louder than it used to be. :)

cjchasman
03-09-2011, 11:20 AM
ATA and brace are right on. I purchased a string suppressor from Martin after I had the bow a couple days. When I installed on bow it helped w string vibes and had no negative affect on accuracy. I stayed w original cable slide rod. The noise is difficult to explain but it does not sound like your typical string generated twang...its' more mechanical almost with a light clank???

bfisher
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
There are a couple STICKIES at the top of the Tech Forum page that explain how to resize and post pics.

bigredhunter00
03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I have that same problem with my 2010 bengal. And from what i can tell its the cable slide on the arm Thats where i hear most of my noise cause its directly in front of my ear. It almost sounds like the of a metal screen door slamming shut.

archerx7
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Try tightening the screws that hold the cable rod bracket in place. The screws could have worked loose and allow the bracket/rod to rattle at the shot but it will still appear tight because of the side tension created by the cables.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the forum! I have a 2010 Bengal and making it quiet is not an issue. The cam is the first thing to check to see if it is over or under clocked. Once the cam and all the specs are right on the bow, it will shoot as it is suppose to. Then adjust the STS a 1/16 of an inch from the string. Then experiment, mine is the most quiet when touching. After that make sure you have a heavy enough arrow. Also put limb savers on the limbs. And last cat whiskers on the string. And as far as a crack in the riser take it back to the shop and Martin Cs will take care of it.

Hutch:cool:

Lung Buster
03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the forum! I definitely agree with these guys the fracture you are looking at is where the top part of the riser attatches I have a 2010 bone hunter and it is pretty much the same bow and I also have that seem. Just cosmetic. As for the loudness I put on limbsavers on the limbs put the cat whiskers on the string and threw on an x coil and it quieted right down.

cjchasman
03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks again to all for the great input. I've been busy trying to work on my bow and keep the bosses happy. Here is the update...BigRedHunter00 that is a great description of the noise. I tried a dampner on the rod and changed the slide. I believe the noise pitch changed some but can still be heard.

Hutch can you give me a little more input on the cam. The gap between cam lobe and string measures appx.3/8". What else should I check?

cjchasman
03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Hutch...just saw the pics and discussion between you and gravedigger. Is this what I'm to be looking for?

gravedigger
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Hutch...just saw the pics and discussion between you and gravedigger. Is this what I'm to be looking for?

for cam timeing yes.and the pic i posted of a straight on view is for cam lean.i have some slight lean but i will coreck by twisting the cabel.the lean is caused by the ccs.

cjchasman
03-11-2011, 01:47 AM
OK here's the scoop. After checking out the cam and specs as advised, I noticed the string in the top idler cam leaning way to one side. I adjusted the yolk of the cable by a couple of twists on the right side of the "Y" and it pulled the string into a much better trac on the wheel. Added string leaches to string and moved the Martin ones to the strings passing thru the cable slide. Noise is gone...Thanks to everyone. What a wealth of knowledge for us new Martin guys to tap.:)

HawgEnvy
03-11-2011, 06:45 AM
OK here's the scoop. After checking out the cam and specs as advised, I noticed the string in the top idler cam leaning way to one side. I adjusted the yolk of the cable by a couple of twists on the right side of the "Y" and it pulled the string into a much better trac on the wheel. Added string leaches to string and moved the Martin ones to the strings passing thru the cable slide. Noise is gone...Thanks to everyone. What a wealth of knowledge for us new Martin guys to tap.:)

stick around. It's a fun place to learn. Glad to have ya.