PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stand Hunting and Black Bow?

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
What do you all think about using a all black bow in a treestand. I will mostly be doing ground blind hunting so I am thinking of getting a black bow for that reason.

I figure it probably isn't that big of deal since it wasn't that long ago there were no camo bows (or few) but I would like the opinions of others that hunt as I am brand new to it.

I like the looks of the all black bows too. :D

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh, would it make much difference for spot and stalk or turkey hunting as well?

Arrow Splitter
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think the animals would notice if your bow was black, blue, or pink camo.
Ahhh I just had to say that.:D:D:D

A.S

CaptJJ
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh, would it make much difference for spot and stalk or turkey hunting as well?

It won't make a difference, you won't be able to stalk into bow range of a turkey anyway.:D

Really though, stalking turkeys is very UNSAFE as far as I am concerned.

elkslayer4x5
03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
It won't make a difference, you won't be able to stalk into bow range of a turkey anyway.:D

Really though, stalking turkeys is very UNSAFE as far as I am concerned.

Not to mention very difficult! Really no reason not to go for the all black bow. It isn't color that spooks game, its movement, make a sudden move and you're busted, move slow and steady as if the wind is moving you and you'll be ok Plenty of black in the woods. :)

bfisher
03-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Assume for a moment that you could only see most black, white and shades of gray in the woods. This about what most animals see---with the acception of those darn turkeys. I think a black bow would look much like any other limb on a tree.

archerx7
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I've used a black bow for the past 2 seasons, haven't been busted yet. As some of the others have stated, its movement that'll get you busted, not the camo or lack of camo on the bow.

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Let me clarify, the spot and stalk was for 4-legged inhabitants of the forest, not turkeys. ;)

Got it, no movement is the name of the game in not being detected. Turkey or other game! :eek:

If I pick up a new bow it may be black. If I get used it's just a matter of a finding a good deal. :D

ElkSlayer
03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
stalking turkeys is very UNSAFE as far as I am concerned.

True fact...what you think is a good tom to go after can be a shotgun toting trigger happy fool.... best to ambush or call them to you.

I read years ago..A guy was shot turkey hunting because he smoked cigarettes in a RED package...some fool saw the red an uncored his 3"mag into the brush...:eek: let's be careful out there...:cool:

CaptJJ
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Let me clarify, the spot and stalk was for 4-legged inhabitants of the forest, not turkeys. ;)
:D

Yeah, I feel stupid.:D Sent you a PM.

CaptJJ
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
True fact...what you think is a good tom to go after can be a shotgun toting trigger happy fool.... best to ambush or call them to you.

I read years ago..A guy was shot turkey hunting because he smoked cigarettes in a RED package...some fool saw the red an uncored his 3"mag into the brush... let's be careful out there...

I was set up in my blind with a bow working a tom last spring, he had been gobbling but shut up, I kept calling softly. About 15-20 minutes later I started hearing noise coming up the hill right to me. Next thing I see is a hunter in full camo, facemask and all, he was in gun range(40 yds or so) and it was a little thick.:eek:

He then proceeds to set up a decoy and gets behind a tree. Yeah, my blind is camo, but it was in the middle of an old logging road.:confused: A good "AHEM" got his attention and he skulked away down the hill.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Black is fine by me. I wouldn't blink an eye on the color.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I agree. Black bows look real nice and I think they'd blend fine in the woods. I'll be finding out this season as well.

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I feel stupid.:D Sent you a PM.

You have absolutely nothing to feel foolish about.

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I agree. Black bows look real nice and I think they'd blend fine in the woods. I'll be finding out this season as well.

One thing that strikes me about buying a black bow, not having to worry about matching the camo for this or that accessory. Get the black rest, sight, stabilizer and quiver. It all matches and black accessories are cheaper too! :D

bfisher
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
One thing that strikes me about buying a black bow, not having to worry about matching the camo for this or that accessory. Get the black rest, sight, stabilizer and quiver. It all matches and black accessories are cheaper too! :D

I like a guy that thinks about his wallet, too. I knew there had to be something I liked about you.

MLN1963
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
When I was younger I thought with something else, now that I'm older I think with my wallet. ;)

HawgEnvy
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
When I was younger I thought with something else, now that I'm older I think with my wallet. ;)

just don't combine the two,and you should be ok

elkslayer4x5
03-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLN1963
When I was younger I thought with something else, now that I'm older I think with my wallet.

Rockin' out my Onion Xtreme Nitrous

LOL, oh you kid's!:D

CaptJJ
03-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Like Mr. Sheen.:D