PDA

View Full Version : arrrows

sqearl
03-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Hey guys, I just got my new silencer, awesome, but not real happy with the speed, here is the deal I was set up with axis 300's my draw is 28 and am shooting a 100 gr. tip. the arrows weigh 450.6 gr. and am getting around 270 fps. any ideas on a little lighter arrow that will still be really efective on big game animals

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Run your numbers through the arrow calculator http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
Find your optimal weight for your arrows and speed.

Hutch:cool:

sqearl
03-13-2011, 06:28 AM
thanks that helped alot I'll take a look at some other options and get that speed up. thanks again

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Hey guys, I just got my new silencer, awesome, but not real happy with the speed, here is the deal I was set up with axis 300's my draw is 28 and am shooting a 100 gr. tip. the arrows weigh 450.6 gr. and am getting around 270 fps. any ideas on a little lighter arrow that will still be really efective on big game animals

You didn't mention your draw weight so it's impossible to see if you are where you should be or not. Remember it is just a calculator but it seems to be very close if you know all your stats. My brother and his buddies shoot over a chrony and the calculator is usually very very close.

From the numbers I've seen here and on AT the Martins seem to be a bit slower than their rating. I've been collecting as much data as I can on them since there are a few models I'm interested in. It won't stop me from getting a Martin but I know it will likely not make IBO rating.

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 08:33 AM
You didn't mention draw weight, that has a big effect on speed. (Edit: MN1963 covered that)

Have you checked all the specs, especially the cam sync and timing, to make sure the bow is at peak efficiency?

Don't get too caught up in the numbers, are you unhappy with how the bow shoots and feels or with the reading on the chrono(which might not be accurate)?

Simple Life
03-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Check out Gold Tip XT Velocity's 300.Little lighter by almost 100 gr,should gain roughly 20 fps more.

SL

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Check out Gold Tip XT Velocity's 300.Little lighter by almost 100 gr,should gain roughly 20 fps more.

SL

GOOD ARROW GOOD RECOMMENDATION!

HUTCH:cool:

bfisher
03-13-2011, 10:55 AM
As mentiond bt a couple guys, it's hard to make any recommendations without knowing the draw weight of the bow. But even the speed you are getting seems to be relatively good considering the weight of the arrow. 450 grains isn't light by any means.

Also to be considered is anything added to the string, such as a kisser button, peep, loop, and/or string silencers. There are lots of ways to bump up the speed, but if speed were a major issue I would not have chosen a bow with an easy drawing cam. That's not what their virtue is.

Still, you need to list all the bow's specs to make any decent estimate of what to expect. And as far as draw length, is that 28.5" an estimate of it's draw length or an actual measurement?

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Silencer is a dual cam bow. I don't think Martin has anything harder?

bfisher
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Silencer is a dual cam bow. I don't think Martin has anything harder?

I apologize for that. It must be that I'm getting senile. I really need to pay more attention to these details. Even so, a 450 gr arrow is not what I'd pick for speed.

Simple Life
03-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Even so, a 450 gr arrow is not what I'd pick for speed.

X2.What kind of big game you after?

SL

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Big Foot!! LOL :D:rolleyes:

Couldn't resist! just kidding.

Simple Life
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Big Foot!! LOL :D:rolleyes:

Couldn't resist! just kidding.

Too late Ronnie's got him:D

Rockyhud
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
If the OP has a draw weight of 60 lbs and draw length of 28" (as said in his post) I'd say his speed is pretty close to what should be expected. My lighter weight arrows are also 450 grains and with my DW being 63 lbs and DL being 29" these are shooting (measured through a chronograph) at 280 fps. My additional 3 lbs DW and 1" DL making the difference, in my estimation.

One thing the OP might also want to consider is that shooting heavier arrows will make for a quieter shooting setup AND his arrows will retail more down-range energy for increased penetration potential. If he's truly going after BIG game, such as elk and similar size critters, his 450 grain arrows would be a better choice than something lighter, just for the sake of getting a little faster initial out of the bow velocity, IMO. Faster, lighter arrows lose more speed over distance than do heavier arrows. That's just a fact that follows the laws of physics.

There are several online articles as well as in hard print, about the pros and cons of light vs heavy arrows. He might benefit from checking into this before buying light arrows - he just might determine what he has are a good choice and save some money too.

bfisher
03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
If the OP has a draw weight of 60 lbs and draw length of 28" (as said in his post) I'd say his speed is pretty close to what should be expected. My lighter weight arrows are also 450 grains and with my DW being 63 lbs and DL being 29" these are shooting (measured through a chronograph) at 280 fps. My additional 3 lbs DW and 1" DL making the difference, in my estimation.

One thing the OP might also want to consider is that shooting heavier arrows will make for a quieter shooting setup AND his arrows will retail more down-range energy for increased penetration potential. If he's truly going after BIG game, such as elk and similar size critters, his 450 grain arrows would be a better choice than something lighter, just for the sake of getting a little faster initial out of the bow velocity, IMO. Faster, lighter arrows lose more speed over distance than do heavier arrows. That's just a fact that follows the laws of physics.

There are several online articles as well as in hard print, about the pros and cons of light vs heavy arrows. He might benefit from checking into this before buying light arrows - he just might determine what he has are a good choice and save some money too.

I tend to agree with you 100%. If this is primarily a hunting setup then speed just for the sake of speed isn't a good tradeoff. I've killed my share of game over the years and rarely has a hunting setup producing 270 fps. For average hunting distances in eastern hardwoods speed isn't an issue for me.

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I figured you might have been thinking it was a Ridge Hunter or other single cam bow Barry. True, that 450 grn arrow is heavy for speed. However, I hear bows are more efficient and quiet with heavier arrows. Beats me?

270 FPS seems to be moving along pretty good for that weight.

MLN1963
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I didn't see this was all covered already on page two! :mad:

Ehunter
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Run it through the calculator mentioned previously, and pay attention to the Kinetic Energy figures. 65# KE will kill just about anything in North America if hit well. You are shooting 54gr. more than I am, and I'm getting 296 fps, 28.5 in. draw, and 68#. I'd say 270 with your set-up is about right, and a good speed.