PDA

View Full Version : 2010 firecat tr1 ATA length!!!!!!!!

Speedykills
03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok i didnt want to hijack that other guys thread,so back to my ATA being 32" instead of 32-1/2 as advdertised.I always thought that specs given to bows were just a ball park measurement,maybe i was wrong but a half inch is quite a bit.Wonder if it will effect my limbs or anything,its shooting great right now but now im kinda worried about it.what to do,what to do!.
Ive only been shooting this bow a month or so with 200 shots on her.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok i didnt want to hijack that other guys thread,so back to my ATA being 32" instead of 32-1/2 as advdertised.I always thought that specs given to bows were just a ball park measurement,maybe i was wrong but a half inch is quite a bit.Wonder if it will effect my limbs or anything,its shooting great right now but now im kinda worried about it.what to do,what to do!.
Ive only been shooting this bow a month or so with 200 shots on her.

ATA should be with in a 1/4 of an inch. 1/2" is too much. Loosen the limb bolts a couple of turns on one than the other till you see the bolt ends in the barrel nut. This should loosen the string and cables. Untwist your cable 5 to 6 turns. Than untwist your string 2 to 3 turns to compensate for the longer ATA. This will make sure your draw length won't be too short.

Hutch:cool:

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I posted something about this on the other thread, it will take more than a little untwisting to make up th 1/2", I'm wondering if the spec is wrong???

I guess the problem with a short ATA would be too much preload on the limbs, I don't think that would be an issue with 60 lb limbs. If it's shooting good, I wouldn't worry.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm wondering if the spec is wrong???
I don't think that would be an issue with 60 lb limbs. If it's shooting good, I wouldn't worry.

Nope my 2010 Bengal was a 1/2 to short when it came out of the box.

Yes it would be an issue on 60lb limbs, pre-load is pre-load on any limb.

Speedykills
03-13-2011, 10:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like both of you guys have short ATAs from the factory???

If martinbowhunter shortens his cable to correct the timing, his ATA will be close to Speedykills; I wonder if the spec is listed wrong?

It doesn't make sense to have to untwist factory strings that have been in use and should be already longer from stretching???? The string needs some twists in it, might not be able to untwist it enough to get to the "correct" ATA. Just thinking out loud.

martinbowhunter, we all have to learn sometime, you'll get there. I suggest looking at the bow and trying to figure out how the string mechanics work, it's a little easier with a one cam. The string just rolls around the idler at the top. On the cam, the cable is attached on one side, both ends of the string are attached on the other. Shortening the cable rotates the cam one way, shortening the string does the opposite.

You might be on to something here,maybe spec on martin site is wrong,i dont think i could get 1/2" out of these strings.Why would 2 firecats be same ata if it wasnt right.Well anyway before i take any twist out i think ill call martin just to verify first.
Not that i dont trust your guys advise,i do,but maybe they know something we dont.Hey thats what life time warrenty for right......;)

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Now we have three people that said the ATA was about 1/2" short from the factory. Something's not right.

I don't see any harm done by 1/4" of extra preload on each limb. They're gonna bend much more when drawn.

Speedykills calling Martin makes sense.

Something odd I found about listed ATA's:
Bengal: 2008- 32", 2009 & 2010- 32 1/4"
Moab/TR1: 2008- 32 3/4", 2009 & 10- 32 1/2"
If each year shares the same cam, why did the ATA increase 1/4" on the Bengal and decrease 1/4" on the Moab/TR1?

Simple Life
03-13-2011, 11:12 AM
When you look at this years specs,Martin has put" approximate"beside BH and ATA.So probably last years specs are approximate,not sure if 1/2" would fall into that or not.:confused:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
My 2007 Bengal was 32" ATA my 2010 Bengal 32-1/4. You might just think when assembling that many bows they might have been twisting and setting to the old specs not the new.

Also think about it! 2010 bows came with the worst strings known to the industry.
They all were twisted to different lengths. The bows that were coming out of my dealer's boxes had different ATA'S.

Speedykills
03-13-2011, 11:44 AM
My 2007 Bengal was 32" ATA my 2010 Bengal 32-1/4. You might just think when assembling that many bows they might have been twisting and setting to the old specs not the new.

Also think about it! 2010 bows came with the worst strings known to the industry.
They all were twisted to different lengths. The bows that were coming out of my dealer's boxes had different ATA'S.

Well if thats the case,wow i hope not then maybe wrong strings are on mine.I just ran a few arrows and boy she's fast,that CSS really bends those limbs..:D

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Was the 2010 Bengal 32 1/4" or 1/2" shorter when it came from the factory like you already posted?

If it came from the factory at 31 3/4", that would be the same 1/4" decrease in ATA that happened with the Moab/TR1 with the same cam change. Why would the same cam change cause one bow to increase in ATA and another to decrease? See what I'm getting at.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Let me clarify the factory specs on the 2007 were 32" ATA and the 2010 was 32-1/4. When I received the 2010 the specs were wrong. They twisted my string too much and it was under 32"(specs 32-1/4). That is too much pre-load. My bow is not the only one that was like that in that year there were many. The strings were terrible and they twisted some too much and others too little. Just look at the cam timing on martinhunter's. This was typical to see in pulling them out of the box. It is simple just untwist the string to its specified length and the same with the cable. Then adjust accordingly. That is what I did with mine. And now the specs are all the same as factory. The bow preforms quiet, fast, and properly.

martinbowhunter
03-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Very interesting thread. Will be calling my dealer tomorrow since today is Sunday and he's closed.

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Nobody knows what happened at the factory, maybe the strings and cables weren't made the correct length and they just assembled them as is. If they were taking the time to add/remove twists, you would think the bow would come from the factory in spec. I guess that's why I learned to just put an aftermarket string on new bows.

Obviously there have been some QC issues with the string, hopefully the new Hammerheads resolve the problems.

Feathers
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, very interesting thread.

I just got my 2010 Firecat TR1 setup and shot it for the first time. Wow! It's a HUGE improvement over my old Browning round wheel bow. I really like the Firecat. Fast and smooth. I have been concerned about the string since I got it, though.

I just measured my ATA, and it's also 32.0". What is the consensus about this? Should the ATA be 32.5" like the brochure claims or were the specs wrong in the brochure? It sounds like the Helix strings that came with these are not good.

I am going to order a new string and cable. What is the correct length for these assuming my factory Helix strings are incorrect? I don't want to pull a measurement off the original string if it is not correct in the first place. I am leaning towards Extreme Bowstrings.

Thanks.

*EDIT: I found the string/cable length on Martin's Tech Page http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/tech2010.php

Speedykills
03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Why was my post deleted about calling martin about this......:confused:

Feathers
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Why was my post deleted about calling martin about this......:confused:

I wish I could have read it. What did you find out?

Speedykills
03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish I could have read it. What did you find out?

I was told it was fine at 32" ata that the bow's cam timing,rotaion was tuned to that length,i was told to leave it alone,no need to mess with it.

Feathers
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I was told it was fine at 32" ata that the bow's cam timing,rotaion was tuned to that length,i was told to leave it alone,no need to mess with it.

Thanks.

I am still going to put a better string on it, but it's good to know that it's not all out of spec.