PDA

View Full Version : Center serving on FC400

Ehunter
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Just wondering what the speed difference would be if I removed the excess 5-6 inches of center serving on my FC400. It's a constant serving from the top TRG/SOS location down to the area where the TRG/SOS can be mounted lower. Just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle. Figured I might gain a couple fps, and maybe a little less noise. Thanks all!

bfisher
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
You almost have to gain a little, however I never chrono'd the difference. Chrono crapped out. I usually strip off the excess myself just for the same reason you are thinking about it. Usually end up with about 3" center serving. You don't need any more than that.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Just wondering what the speed difference would be if I removed the excess 5-6 inches of center serving on my FC400. It's a constant serving from the top TRG/SOS location down to the area where the TRG/SOS can be mounted lower. Just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle. Figured I might gain a couple fps, and maybe a little less noise. Thanks all!

2 to 3 fps probably isn't worth it. But with that being said I didn't like the 7 to 8 inches on my Bengal so I reserved it and put on 4" of center serving. I like the looks as well as the less stiffness in the string.

Hutch:cool:

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
You almost have to gain a little, however I never chrono'd the difference. Chrono crapped out. I usually strip off the excess myself just for the same reason you are thinking about it. Usually end up with about 3" center serving. You don't need any more than that.

No movement problems with it that short? I always heard the center serving needs to be a little longer, wonder if it's just an assumption. Might have to try it.

bfisher
03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
I shoot a rope release with the rope beneath the nock and there is upward pressure on the nock. Back a few years ago the serving would slide because it wasn't served correctly. I solved that by reserving it MY way. Strings are better these days so raely do I get any movement.

If you use a string loop most of the pressure is straight back so there should be even less problems. Here again, it depends on how ell the string was constructed and served.

Referring to what Hutch said, I don't short-serve primarily for speed, but have found over the years that those couple fps here and a couple there and pretty soon your bow is shooting 10 to 20 fps faster. It's all the little details that add up. I also like being able to see the strands of a two color string. Heck, why bother getting a two color string if yo're gonna cover half of it with serving?

Ehunter
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I shortened it up to about 3 1/2 inches. Haven't shot it through a chrony yet to see the speed difference, but it is a little bit quieter now. I'm guessing the less weight on the string keeps it from banging into the SOS as hard, and causes less vibration. I did have to move my longer distance sight pins slightly, so I'm guessing at least 5fps or so on the speed gain. Basically took off 2/3rds of the serving.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
All that extra weight and stiffness gone! I glad it worked for you.

Hutch:cool: